fixing 5th in an 085 box

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by sheriffadam, Mar 21, 2008.

1. sheriffadam New Member

My mk3 1.4 Golf has been popping out of 5 for a while now, and after a bit of research here it seems the bearings and syncro ring in 5th are buggered.

I took it down to the garage today and we had it up in the air and took the end of the box off, the mechanic had a play and yes, that end is all worn and bearings gone, a lot of shaft wobble on 5th and the Bulk ring is all badly worn too.

So it's all back together now with the dodgy 5th crap left out, just using 4 gears for now.

Are the needed replacements to fix this problem easily available from VAG? Don't suppose anybody knows the part numbers needed or a good supplier?

Cheers all!

2. sheriffadam New Member

any clues?

3. yeha Forum Member

There are some threads about this on clubpolo. It seems to ba a common problem on the newer boxes.

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

085 311 123 D are the top taper rollers for both shafts
    085 311 431c needle bearing for 5th
    085 311 295 synchro for 5th

5. sheriffadam New Member

amazing stuff dude!

So the taper rollers for both shafts, order 2 of these then? Or they come as a pair?

Would the synchro also be described as a 'bulk ring'? eg, the actual large ring that slides side to side connected to the selector fork? That on mine is knackered, the notches machined into it for the spring to lock on (didn't fully comprehend what the mechanic was explaining here) are worn out, he mentioned some springs being needed too?

I have ETKA an older version 5.5 I think, but looking through here lots of gearbox stuff but nothing looked like the 5th gear end of my box? Is it in there and advice where to look exactly?

Just trying to get a good heads up here on what I need over this long weekend ready ti jump into next week and fix it!

6. xrr319y Forum Member

the old mk1 and mk2s pop out due to lack of gear oil, make sure the gear oil is topd up

7. sheriffadam New Member

dude thanks but it's not that, draining the box the oil level was fine, the amount of metal in the oil wasn't fine! And the wobble on the gears isn't fine either! It's just finding the right parts to get back in there now!

8. Admin Guest

Brother,

see if you can use the 020 box in the GTI, just swap the box over so the engine is still support in my mk1.

should do you for that 1.4, just don't break it!