James@BBT's Mk1, 2.0 16v, Throttle Bodies, 285mm Brakes, RS's etc etc...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by James V, May 10, 2010.

1. James V Forum Member

Thought I'd pop this up on here, not sure the styling of the car will necessarily sit well on here, but the engine is a bit more in a CGTi style ;)

Most of this has been copied over from another forum, but hopefully it should all make sense.

The beginning of this will be a condensed history of the car up til now...

In December 2007, I brought this Mk1 Cabrio, pretty tidy car, fitted with some RS001's, some lowering springs and a mohair hood, other than that, it was a pretty standard car.

As I got it, before I fitted the coilovers (JOM):

[​IMG]

And then once I'd fitted the Coils:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few of it at the local Porsche garage, with the hood down, Got stance? Er, No...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast forwarding to UD08, I brought a few bits, new fuel cap, german plates etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All through this it was our daily, living outside our old flat:

[​IMG]

Some from Prept@Brands Hatch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As it was before we headed up to E38 2008, stance was getting better...

[​IMG]

At E38 2008...

[​IMG]

On the way home from E38 the car decided to develop some bizarre electrical issues (anyone who was at E38 2008 will remember the rain on the way home on the Sunday evening!) And I got the hump with the car, and it sat on the driveway for 3 months, My missus' G60 Rado being pressed into daily service...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the landlords got the hump with the Cab being sat outside the flat, and I got it towed over to my dads house, where it continued to sit in a carport for a few more month, unwashed, unloved, and feeling very sorry for itself...

In the meantime, the G60 got swapped out for a Mk2:

[​IMG]

By this time, I had been working for BBT for a little while, and whilst a few people had seen the cab before it got taken off the road, I think a few others were beginning to doubt it's existence!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. James V Forum Member

Due to pressure from the missus, workmates and myself I decided I needed to get back onto the cab, but with it being in a carport, and a few miles from our flat, working on it wasn't going to be easy, so we did what any self respecting dubber would do, we moved house!

After a few months of chaos, I got another mate of mine to tow the cab from my dads place over to the new house (and my new 1.5 car garage!) Now the pics get a bit sketchy here, as it coincides with the arrival of an iphone!

Garage cleared, and my 97 GSXR750 in,

[​IMG]

and the Crescent GSXR1000 in,

[​IMG]

The cabrio on the drive at the new pad

[​IMG]

After a quick wash, doesn't look too bad, but the photo's do it a few favours

[​IMG]

So here it is in it's new home, suprising amount of room around the old girl to work on her...

[​IMG]

I'd been gathering a few bits in the down time, so I got onto fitting the OEM Chrome trimmed early grille...

[​IMG]

Much better!

First job was to get the wheels off, after 12 months of living outside, dirty they weren't looking their best...

[​IMG]

So off to work with them to get Dave to strip the tyres off, ready for me to split them...

[​IMG]

In the meantime, I'd brought some new dishes...

[​IMG]

Thought it'd be rude not to try them on...

[​IMG]

Then, I tried them with my bolts, which i'd cleaned in windowlene...

[​IMG]

But they weren't really cutting it, especially being the plans I had for the rest of the wheels, so...

[​IMG]

Courtesy of Just Matz

3. James V Forum Member

So, the centres were sent of to Mike "The Legendary Polisher" for chrome powder coating, leaving me with this lot...

[​IMG]

My missus is patient, and lets me keep bits of car in the living room ;) she even brought me this for chrimbo!

[​IMG]

And some early spec chrome waistline trims (you'll see them later)

Earlier this week, my centres returned from Mike, and during the time they were away, we'd had a chat, and decided that ceramic polishing was going to be the way forward...

To say I was chuffed would be an understatement...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. James V Forum Member

Ok, so I spent another couple of hours on the cab this afternoon, whilst it had been sitting, like a tit, I hadn't bothered checking to see if it was dry inside, now whilst the hood is more water proof than a ducks sphincter, unfortunately I'd made the sort of rookie error that I should be ashamed of, i'd let the drains in the scuttle/raintray clog up, the end result being that the rain tray had filled with water and poured straight into the footwell, luckily as the car was parked on a slope, it had only really affected the passenger side, unfortunately, this meant the fusebox had taken a soaking too...

Anyway, I wasn't looking forward to removing the carpet as I had a nasty feeling 12 months of being a swimming pool for midgets would have resulted in me potentially needing to replace or repair the pans...

As they say it has to get worse before it gets better!

Passenger side seat out, and carpet partially up, looks a bit soggy down there, this doesn't look good :blink:

[​IMG]

Lets get a bit closer...

[​IMG]

Hmm, soggy, but remarkly solid, not a hint of the devils work in there at all :rolleyes:

Onto the rear carpet then..

[​IMG]

All good under there too :)

[​IMG]

Soundproofing from the front is fit for the bin, luckily we sell the kits at work, so I'll be replacing that

[​IMG]

Think I might treat the old girl to a plush new carpet too, whilst all the carpet and so on is out, I'll run an amp wiring kit through, as I'm going to be putting a sub in the boot later on...

And the final shot for tonight, as I closed the garage door, and sat down with a vodka and lemonade B)

[​IMG]

Might be doing some more during the week...

5. James V Forum Member

Small update tonight, it's too cold to go out in the garage, so I grabbed my nuts and made for the dining room table, and proceeded to rub 'til my arm hurt...

Now obviously I'm talking about the centre nuts from my RS's which were in pretty bad shape :angry:

[​IMG]

So armed with some polish, some "fanny" gloves a polishing pad, and a microfibre, work began.

[​IMG]

After about 1/2 hour, I had achieved a finish like this:

[​IMG]

Compare the meerkat:

[​IMG]

mid-polishing:

[​IMG]

and all 4 done B)

[​IMG]

C+C welcome, hopefully more meaningful updates later in the week...

6. James V Forum Member

haven't done a right lot this week as it's been freezing cold, but my new fuel cap did arrive at work today, not cheap by any means, but I've been after one for a while, the aero cap in the earlier pictures had either self destructed, or someone had tried to remove it whilst the car was laid up, unfortunately this means i'm going to have to drop the tank at some point and retrieve the missing part, :unsure: still, gives me an excuse to give it a lick of paint 'spose ^_^
    Anywizzle, the shiny new fuel cap, calm yourselves!

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I think I'll be tacking cleaning the engine and bay up a bit, providing I can blag my dad to bring the pressure washer over...

7. James V Forum Member

Progress has been a little slow of late, due to my 30th birthday, and my awesome Missus had arranged some treats for me,

Including a trip to the Ice Bar up in London, a really cool (excuse the pun) experience, but not cheap @ 18 for 3 drinks! Me and the missus in our Pimp Ice Hotel Cloaks!

[​IMG]

Finally got all my tools arranged in my new cabinet, a present from my dad, should make life easier when I need to find stuff, but how long they stay so organised is another matter!

[​IMG]

Decided to give the engine bay a bit of a clean today, although long term an engine transplant is on the cards, for now it'll be running on the std clipper motor, so it needed a bit of a clean up:

[​IMG]

Midway through "Gunking"

[​IMG]

And the finished result, not by any means show stopping, but better than before, I'll probably give it another go when I blag the pressure washer off the old man:

[​IMG]

Stripped the rocker cover off, and the fanshroud, they'll get a lick of paint soon,

[​IMG]

and removed the header tank and washer bottle, chucked them in the dishwasher, to be honest the results were wrist exercising, so I didn't even bother taking a picture, I'll grab a new one from work instead!

[​IMG]

And got the Team fitted up too:

[​IMG]

Not an amazing update, but it's slowly getting there, hopefully the barrels will be back from the powder coaters soon ;)

8. James V Forum Member

Well got my centre rings back, big thanks to AnnaVR6 (one of my work colleagues) and her other half for personally collecting them from Mike up in Glasgow for me ;)

so the wheels now look like this:

[​IMG]

Also been speaking to a mate of mine who built this:

[​IMG]

which has this hiding under the bonnet:

[​IMG]

he owns this company, and this little Connect (soon to be home to a 2.0 Duratec on Jenveys, kicking around 220bhp):

[​IMG]

And he's going to be building me an engine, involving some of these:

[​IMG]

One of these:

[​IMG]

This:

[​IMG]

And one of these:

[​IMG]

(without the silencer)

So amazingly, there may be some progress on this soon...

maybe ;)

9. James V Forum Member

So yet another weekend of little progress, I was up in London for a Deadmau5 gig on Friday, then recovering saturday, then lunch with the missus, dad, step mum, step sister and her other half yesterday.

Spent quite a lot of time thinking about the car though...

If I'm going to be over doubling the existing power output, then I really ought to do something about the woeful Mk1 standard brakes, so I've come up with the following solution...

285mm Big Brake conversion on the front, running cross drilled Black Diamond discs, Predator Pads, a G60/Late 16v 22mm m/c, and a 9" Mk2 servo, that combined with braided hoses should make quite a difference, don't think I'm going to bother running rear discs as I've never felt the Mk1's need them, unless you're running silly power.

So, I've got the m/c already:

[​IMG]

Other bits should be arriving during the week.

Going to collect my 9A next weekend as well, so we're getting there.

At 285mm, there isn't going to be a huge amount of room left behind the wheels either :)

[​IMG]

10. James V Forum Member

Well my caliper brackets turned up today, so I'll grab a set of discs from work and trial fit them tomorrow to see if I have any hope of squeezing the brakes under the RS's...

The brackets (not the prettiest things, but they'll do the job!)

[​IMG]

and a set of Black Diamonds finest ;)

[​IMG]

11. James V Forum Member

Nick and I went to collect my new motor today from Adam, one of our customers, top bloke.

I snapped this in Nicks workshop before we left, a Series 2 RST undergoing a 5cyl Focus ST RWD transplant, will be an animal when it's finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed off down to Adams work, and hooked the 'box off before we lifted it into the van, to make life easier, forgot how heavy these lumps are!

The engine is externally in great nick, having not been fitted into Adam's Mk2 that long before he pulled it for a G60 transplant.

Here's the engine in it's previous home:

[​IMG]

And here it is after we hauled it back to Nicks unit, bang tidy motor really compared to some of the hangin valver lumps I've seen, fitted with all new senders, hoses and flanges etc:

[​IMG]

The important numbers:

[​IMG]

First job was to strip off all the bits I don't need, so that's anything to do with the K-Jet injection, and anything not needed in a Mk1, (the PAS set up will be coming off tomorrow):

[​IMG]

Next job was to strip the head off, ready for Nick to work his magic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the valves are grubby, the top end is in brilliant condition, it's clearly been rebuilt very recently, but we'll still be giving the ports a tickle, and seeing what valves we can fit in there. From previous experience VW seem to always make the ports too big for the valves, so a tidy up, and big valves can see nice results.

You can see from this pic, after the heads come out the parts washer, that the followers etc are all brand new.

[​IMG]

The heads now waiting for Nick to work his magic, and get building the inlet manifold, and I'll be picking up the bottom end tomorrow, ready for a clean up and paint.

In the mean time, I'll have the following for sale:

Throttle Body 9A
    Inlet Mani (top half) 9A
    PAS Pump, valver
    Airbox
    Metering head and boot
    Braided fuel lines
    Mk2 valver 'box
    ECU & TCI
    PAS pump
    WUR/Choke unit
    Dizzy, with as new rotor arm, and cap

So if you're after any of that, let me know...

And some other stuff I can't remember, it's all in the boot of the Mk2 and it's raining!

12. James V Forum Member

Got the bottom end back to my pad this afternoon, stripped most of the removable parts off and gave it a good clean ready for wire brushing it and painting it next.

[​IMG]

Worked out all the bits I don't actually need as well, so that's all this lot, plus a gearbox, but I think that's spoken for already...

[​IMG]

The garage is getting a bit full now, really need to get my gixxer 750 sold (that's the blue and white one hidden at the back, not the Rizla one!)

[​IMG]

Weighed the flywheel too, that's going back to Nick @ AMS this week ready to be lightened.

[​IMG]

13. James V Forum Member

Anyways, got in from work and decided to make a start on prepping the bottom end, got the back half of it done tonight, but didn't want to carry on too late as our neighbours have got 2 little kids, will hopefully get the other half of it done tomorrow, then it's time to make a start on prepping all the ancillaries...

so here's the shiny back half...

[​IMG]

14. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

great thread and had a very similar car my self, same engine and rims etc but WTF are the trainers doing in the pics?

15. James V Forum Member

was a bit of a joke over on E38 ;)

16. coullstar Forum Member

Some good progress on the Cab. How do you find the SRAD compared to the K gixxer? Im thinking of going back to an SRAD at the moment.

17. James V Forum Member

Hmm, still getting used to the K, it's a bit of an animal anyway, was built by Crescent as no.3 of a limited edition of 20, spec is a bit full on, full ohlins f+r, Brembo GP calipers, discs, m/c, OZ's, Yoshi cams, Crescent BSB head, Yoshi c/r box, slipper clutch, PC3R, quickshift etc, full Yoshi Japan TRS system, around 190-200bhp, that's the basics, I still feel I can ride the SRAD quicker, but I'm sure more time on the K will change that, if you weren't in Scotland I'd say come and buy the SRAD, I'd defy to find a cleaner one! SXV's are bonkers though eh? I used to work for an Aprilia dealer so have had a play on a few of them.

18. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

arh that explains it, I dislike every single aspect of that forum. Nothing but stupid colured wheels and buchered cars in the name of "stance" and stupid feckin thread titles with people sucking each other off.

Your ride is lovely though and well done, makes me miss mine just a shame when VW cut the roof of they didnt really do much to make them drive like a proper car hence why i got rid.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  19. coullstar Forum Member

Cheers, the SXV is purely for my supermoto racing so I dont go near the road but yeah there good fun.
    PM me the spec on the SRAD as I dont mind travelling to get the right bike.

20. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

The Mk1 cab looks really nice James. Some tasteful mods to :thumbup:

Wouldn't mind one myself.

That 3 series looks tasty [:D]