Rev limiter on an 8v Scirocco (Kjet)

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Mike_H, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

The rev limiter on my '89 Scirocco scala cuts in at about 6500 rpm. It's got an ex race engine in it, so I'd like to rev it to 7000ish, and it should be making power all the way up there, with a 285 cam, and big valve head.

I thought the rev limiter was included on the rotor arm, but this one has the same rotor arm as PB / KR engines - no rev limiter gubbins.

So I'm guessing it's in the spark amplifier (8v Kjet doesn't have an ECU). Does anyone know if I can swap this for another amp to raise, or remove the rev limit?

UPDATE: I just looked on VAGCAT, and the TCI unit seems to be the same for most engine codes, so it can't be that.

Other options?
    - A mechanism inside the distributor base?
    - A little 'black box' somewhere?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

????... should as you thought be fine with standard amp and rotor Mike, thats all I use, with a standard GTi dizzy. You rotor is deffo a plain type ?

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i had a similar problem with a Audi CQ, was the wrong rotor arm fitted, it was a PB one i had fitted, swapped it for the correct one and the real rev limiter was then available.

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I wonder if the last owner changed the dizzy? Here is a pic of the original dizzy (mk1 golf item I think) - Chris Eyre might recall if it was modified

[​IMG]

And here's the last power run - 160bhp at 6894rpm

[​IMG]

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks for all the input, guys.

It's definitely a plain rotor arm - I took off the cap expecting to see the one with the extra limiter nonsense, and it wasn't

@ Mr Brown
    I've got that dizzy in a box of bits that came with it - just dug it out tonight, to check part numbers, and see if it fits on with the current water pipe - might swap over the vac unit.
    - Assume that run was on the carbs?
    - The man in the shed tells me the ports on that head (he did it, to a pack D (40.5/35 spec) were modified a lot to fit the carb manifold, and it ran on the bigger G60 corrado inlet gasket. Something I need to investigate, as I bet there's a standard PB/DX gasket on there now.

@ Drunkenalan - I think you misunderstand, but maybe you can clarify? I want to get rid of, or raise the rev limit. I was thinking 7000rpm was the right number, which is backed up by the rolling road print. I believe that Mk1 GTI 1600s had the limit at 6900 - can anyone confirm that?

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

So, I went and grabbed a couple of dizzys from the garage

The one that looks like Mr Brown's pic, is 067 905 205, and VAGCAT reckons it's from an '82 Audi 80/90 for a YZ engine code (??).

The other one, that I took out of an EV engined golf, is 026 905 205 AA - VAGCAT can't find that one, which probably means it's obsolete (I was searching by model earlier, and a lot of the dizzys are no longer listed).

EDIT: Google reckons a YZ engine is a 1600 lump. 1588 81 KW, which sounds like a 1600 golf GTI lump to me.
    Logic would suggest that this is probably the best of the standard dizzys to use, as it was the peakiest, revviest of the 8v engines.

I also notice that the little brass plug on the side is bent, like it's been taken out and put back, so I wonder if someone's been in there tweaking things.

7. POL

pol Forum Member

not sure whats what but i've got a couple of dx dizzy's lying about if needed.

i should have also said that dan the man probably has one in that spare parts mountain of his.

8. CA121 Forum Member

7000 rpm should be fine. i dont have a limiter on my race car and regulary hit 8200 down the end of straight with a std bottom end with ARP bolts. its only a quarter mile oval though so not in the 8's for many seconds.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks, but I think that's what I've got in it. I'll try the 1600 one I think, and see if it gives any improvement.

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

mike the CQ is a KV engine 5 cylinder 10v very similar to our 8v engines, I had a pb or similar arm in there and it would hit a very abrupt limiter at about 5.5k rpm, so i asked around and a few people said it was probably the wrong arm??? so i swapped it for one that looked exactly the same but it was correct one, the real limiter was again my friend again.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pretty sure the limiter if not in the arm is in your fuel pump relay :)

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

So it cuts the fuel?

Seems a bit odd - How would it lose 5 bar of pressure in time to stop you over-revving?

Or does it cut the ignition?

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

So was it a plain rotor arm, or the one with the extra limiter gubbins on it that fixed the problem?

I don't doubt that you had this experience, but it doesn't make sense, from the point of view that the PB arm doesn't have a limiter in it, as it's in the ECU. Maybe that particular arm was a dud? Maybe it just wasn't a good enough fit to the dizzy cap?

I might try one of the GSF ones
    92265 IGN.ROTOR ARM-6900rpm G1 1.6 F.Inj 6/76 >7/82 9.50

I have to say I'm a wee bit reluctant though, as they have a reputation for being unreliable, due to the extra limiter part.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it cant cut the ignition as it only gets a feed from the rev counter, so it must cut the fuel. Not saying its a fact I know, just am pretty sure of. also a reason why there are so many relays for k-jet cars and why the price varys so much!

15. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Mike, is it a hard cut or a soft cut?

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I see the confusion, it was a plain one pb style, which was swapped for one that looked v similar but it worked,

just had look on tthe gsf shop pb

92265 IGN.ROTOR ARM-6900rpm G1 1.6 F.Inj 6/76 >7/82

92265 IGN.ROTOR ARM-6900rpm A80 4 Cyl 1.6 F.Inj 9/75 >7/82

92270 IGN.ROTOR ARM-6700rpm G2 1.8 F.Inj 8/83 >7/85

92218 IGNITION ROTOR ARM G2 1.8 8v F.Inj 3/87 >10/91

92205 IGNITION ROTOR ARM G2 1.6 Carb 3/85 >10/91

92205 IGNITION ROTOR ARM G2 1.8 Carb 8/83 >10/91

92207 IGNITION ROTOR ARM G2 1.6 / 1.8 Carb 8/83 >10/91 Ducellier

92270 IGN.ROTOR ARM-6700rpm ACOUP 5 Cyl 2.2 8/81 >7/86

So many to chose from!! So it appears i went from a 92205 to a 92270 but i dont remeber the extra in built limiter thingy, Im getting old....... and now ill shut up

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hard - almost like the valve bounce I used to get in my mini clubman 1000, before I fitted the 998 cooper head with (gasp!) double valve springs [:D]

18. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Sound like electrical then, but not 100% sure

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

I wouldn't normally doubt your knowledge, RJ, I just don't see how it can work effectively like that.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm going to try the 1600 dizzy, with the current rotor arm & cap (if it looks like it'll fit), and if that doesn't sort it, I'll try the correct arm for the dizzy. If it still doesn't work, a KR type fuel pump relay might be on the list.