Fuel pump question again

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Noo Noo, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Noo Noo Forum Member

Hi again

I have a Bosch 044 on my conversion and I want to change it. It's stupid noisy despite being mounted on a rubber bearing etc. Any suggestions for a straight swap on a new electric pump with decibels considerably reduced?

Oops forgot o mention the conversion is AGU with 440cc injectors and K04

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have you got a swirl pump/lifter pump to supply it? could be its runnign a bit dry. otherwise try a mk1 golf kjet pump they're same fitment but i assume a bit quieter. what car is it?

Noo Noo likes this.
  3. Noo Noo Forum Member

Hi

It's in the dreaded T4 transporter of which I'm having very little luck with but I keep trying. I'll need to check but I don't think there's a lift pump from memory and I've not had any fuel starvation issues with it. Have to get my head into the tank again and check. I'll do that today.

The problem is that the T4 bodywork is really tinny. Even with a rubber mount on it you can hear the pump screaming away. I'll need to soundproof the bulkhead somehow and the floor as it's a noisy beast. Everywhere else has been flash banded and insulated and that really helps deaden things. This pump though, wow my ears are screaming!

4. rubjonny

vw pumps really dont liek it if you run them without lift pump/swirl pot, they rapidly eat themselves if they ever run low/dry as the fuel also lubricates the internals. plus I dont think they liek the extra strain of trying to suck fuel up from inside the tank?

that being said the 44 isn't a factory vw pump so it may be ok but my thoughts are its probably the same basic design as a bosch mk1 gti pump...

not that i have ever heard a healthy bosch 44 so it may be they are supposed to be loud :lol: my m2 16v pump was but i thought that was becasue it was dying, but maybe its just a kjet thing!

5. Noo Noo Forum Member

The 044 is well known for it apparently. As usual I found out after having it installed etc. [8(]

It needs to go and I want a simple to set up (and maintain) fuel system that wont hurt my ears. Agreed I have work to do on the soundproofing but I also want to tackle the source.

Exhaust is noisy enough as it is and with fuel pump over the top of that. It's ouch.

6. rubjonny

right, a mk2 kjet setup then perhaps, with accumulator binned and pump converted to push fit with m12x1.5 barbed banjo adaptor. the fuel swirl pot is already included as its part of the casing, the pump sits inside a bath of fuel so that should help reduce noise plus the plastic housing is isolated from the metal bracket with 4 rubber mounts. just need to get a lifter pump to keep it supplied :thumbup:

Noo Noo likes this.
  7. Noo Noo Forum Member

ok but I'm going to need help on this. I'm out of my depth here as it will involve wiring and sourcing bits I'm not familiar with at all.

If I understand correctly I'm going to need the GTi pump and casing like the attachment below. I cant see how the pump on its own would work without it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Golf-M...Model:Golf|Plat_Gen:MK+II&hash=item338573937b

What suggestions for a lift pump please?

Wiring questions to follow!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. rubjonny

yes a complete pump and casing from a kjet mk2, plus whatever lifter pump fits your tank. maybe a facet inline pump would do the trick? wiring is easy 2 pins on the pump live and earth just splice em to the wires you have running to the 44 :)

9. Noo Noo Forum Member

Just to confirm the part numbers I need.

Pump - 058 025 4033
    casing - 191 201 043
    mounts - 100 201 0002

Ta

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  10. rubjonny

pump and casing parts correct, if by mounts you mean the rubbers vw number is 191201256 but 5.58 each, i beleive mk1 oil cooler/fuel pump mounts work fine and cheap on ebay

Dclarke and Noo Noo like this.
  11. Noo Noo Forum Member

Awesome, cheers again.

need to get the missus liking the van again. Quieter ride is a must.

12. Noo Noo Forum Member

Ok received the pump and casing this morning. Quite a beast!

And straight away I have a few questions. I'm lazy about figuring it out if someone has already done this. Sorry ;)

Do I need to remove the existing pump connector or get a banjo to fit over it.

Do i need this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M12x1-5-M...-Fuel-Pump-Hose-Fitting-Adapter-/370774482646

and remove the existing connector on the pump or this one

http://shop.bgcmotorsport.co.uk/12mm-banjo--cap-nut-for-bosch-etc-fuel-102-p.asp

which fits over the existing connector?

Does the casing sit with the pump vertical or horizontal and which way up does it go basically or is it not important?

The casing has some connections. One large one and two smaller ones. I assume the large one is from the lift pump and looks to be 8-10mm OD. Teh two smaller ones I'm guessing are fuel returns. Are there any particular order for these?

I'm probably going to cut off the two rings for the accumulator and filter. I have a filter slung under the van already and no accumulator needed here so it will make the fit easier.

I'm also going to have to be a little creative mounting this I think but much will depend on which way I need to mount the pump and stuff. #

Thanks

13. rubjonny

either of those will work, just a case of whichever works best for your application/routing. double check the thread on the thread into the pump itself but I'm pretty sure it is still m12x1.5 (try to fit the old banjo back in backwards, the end nut is m12x1.5 fo sho)

it needs to sit so the 2 small pipes are at the top, these are the engine and tank returns as you say so need to be at the top to ensure there isnt an air bubble inside the tank, you can plumb them either way round makes no odds. the larger one on the tank is the feed from the lifter pump.

Noo Noo likes this.
  14. Noo Noo Forum Member

You want to come and put this thing in for me? ;)

Seriously though thanks again. :clap:

Small outlets at the top will make mounting the casing a bit more interesting. I may need to look at relocating it completely. Hmm need to think that one through a bit and will likely involve some new pipework and wiring I think. [:s]

Interesting that the feed from the lift pump is at the bottom when the casing is orientated with the returns at the top. Must be enough in the lift pump to fill the tank and hold it there.

15. rubjonny

you could possibly add your own outlets to the tank in a place that suits you, just need to make sure they are securely fitted and if you use glue make sure it will not be dissolved by petrol! cap off the others with a loop of pipe or whatever

16. Noo Noo Forum Member

Na I'll stick with the casing as is. Otherwise I might as well look at a manufactured swirl pot. The casing wasn't cheap either (got a shiny new one).

I think I may be able to mount it under the shelf in the nearside wing where the Bosch 044 is currently mounted. That's my first thought anyway but I really need to strip the front off and get under it (again) to check it out. Hopefully I might be able to get away without too much pipework and wiring from there.

17. Noo Noo Forum Member

Silly question number 7.

Is distance from the pump to the fuel pressure regulator critical? First idea for fitting the new pump doesn't seem feasible so I'm having to look under the van between the tank and engine bay.

18. rubjonny

not so far as I know, I guess if it was miles away you may suffer but should be alright. mk2/3 have the pump at the back of the car and fpr in the engine bay so i dont think you'll have a problem ;)