Volks Speed dizzy conv. kits on 1.8T

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Mikey, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Mikey Forum Member

Just looking at the white & blue Rallye in the latest PVW mag, and it's fitted with the distributor conversion kit from Volks Speed, and it's running on G60 management.

Has anyone else any experience of using this kit & is there a website with the details & cost? And also does it do away with the problem of bypassing the built in immobiliser, or is this still an issue that needs to be addressed?

Am I correct in saying that using this kit & the G60 loom is a viable alternative to either using the original management or the alternative setups such as Motec or Emerald etc?

The standard 1.8T & NA 20v units have a coilpack for every plug don't they - so this kit converts the engines to run off a normal coil, dizzy & normal ignition leads?

Ta for any info!

2. Greenmk1 Forum Member

Think its still being tested by Volkspeed. There was an article in PVW last year. I think that by using the G60 ECU etc, then the immobiliser from the 20 valve doesn't even come into it.

3. jaistanley Forum Member

Looked at it out of interest.

There MUST be a selection of off the shelf parts that'll do the same job. The ratio of the pulley sizes would have to be right and the cam belt would have to be the right length but an afternoon down the scrappy might yield some interesting results.

Perhaps 8v intermediate shaft and pulley, 16v cam pulley, G60 oil pump and 8v crank pulley and an ABF cam belt.

This is pure speculation mind. Perhaps you guys more in the know could help??

I'm interested because I was looking at using a bosch ECU, MAP sensor and doing it myself.

Oh yea, the g60 ecu can be re-configured or an additional box fitted to run the sequential ignition and controll coil packs I beleive. Joehern Dik (that mad g60 guy from holland or something) does this. No doubt people in the know, escpecially Bosch nerd could help.

As for the Volkspeed one, think I saw an advert for 300.

Jai
    Edited by: jaistanley

4. prof Forum Addict

only the early blocks have the cutout for the 8v dizzy IIRC

just go to designadubs and get it on the proper ecu

5. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Yeah, the only reason that that has to run a dizzy is because its running teh crappy G60 engine management.

Why anyone would want to fit a 15 - 20 year old fueling system to a state of teh art engine is beyond me. I'd rather get a whole aftermarket EMS.

6. jaistanley Forum Member

Well the bosch Motronic m3u.1 or whatever its called can run sequential ignition, sequential injection, boost controller, MAP sensors etc etc. Its available in millions of scrapped peugeots, bmw's, VW's and loads of other cars at the scrappy.

Its a really powerful ecu u just have to have a bit of know how on how to re-program it. Unfortunaterly I dont but people like chipwizards do.

Might be an idea for people who want a cheaper solution..

Jai

7. prof Forum Addict

yeah but you still need to pay a lot to someone to map it

g60 ecu would be fine really, but there is so much development work going on into mapping the 20vt management that is is a good route to try

8. supercharged20v New Member

The dizzy kit you are talking about is just a pulley set which allows you to drive the intermediate shaft at the corrct speed to run a dizzy (and is only for early 20v engines ie AEB, ADR etc)

I have a few kits in the loft, and will sell them for 100 each if anyone interested?

These parts have been developed for the job, as there are no OE parts thet will do the job (I tried).

The result of using the kit allows you to run and maintain your 20v conversion simply and cheaply.

If you need more info mail me at dubdoctor@hotmail.com

This kit can also be used with N/A 20v and 16v (you can run the 1.6 GTU dizzy in the 16v to get better advance curve:)