9A oil filter bracket

Discussion in '16-valve' started by martyn_16v, Mar 16, 2004.

1. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Typically enough, i've discovered that the one thing I can't swap over from my KR is shafted. It looks like someone has removed the oil filter with a hammer, leaving the bracket with a huge crack. [xx(]

VAG want daft money for a new one, so i'm trying to find one at a scrappy, do any other engines use the same oil filter bracket as the 9A (e.g.ABF or even an 8v)?

2. Joe_G Forum Member

Yeah, loads. I did have one in the garage, think I gave it away tho.

Don't pay more than a fiver :)

Joe

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Fiver sounds good to me, VAG want almost what I paid for the engine [8(]

Just popped over to have a look at my mum's mk3, it looks like hers would do, but oddly enough she doesn't want to part with it. Scrappy it is then :lol:

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

how much were you quoted for the part from VAG?

5. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

either 60-something or 88 quid plus the nasty, depending on whether I wanted an A at the end of the part number

6. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Thats about right then, it should be 66.41 over the counter for the part number with the A at the end (the one without being for Diesels)

Should be able to find them on quite a few cars Mk2 and Mk3 based Golf/Jetta/Vento's, Latest Polo's, Coraddo's, Cabrio's etc etc.

7. davidwort Forum Member

part No. with 'A' suffix is the later 9a part with an extended top part to the housing, the blocks and crank case breather units are also different, AFAIK all 4cyl vw's changed to this type of braket and breather on the post 91 (ish) cars, I think it's due to a valve being fitted into the oil filter bracket.

I came across this when stripping my KR for fitting a 6A audi block (same as 9A C and passat block)

Audi blocks use yet another oil filter housing that is angled to miss the audi engine mount as these are fitted longways instead of transverse in the engine bay.

I got the later part from a 1600 SEAT engine from a breakers.

David.

8. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Got one today off an 8v Passat in the end. Took me 5 minutes to find one, then 90 minutes to get it off the car.

Just in case anyone's looking, theres an Audi 80 at sunbury salvage with what appears to be a complete 6A in it :)

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Would a '92 6A and '94 9A 2 litre 16v block require the same filter housing?

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7556&highlight=9a

Just curious.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  10. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Are you sure you don't live in a time warp? :lol:

From what I could see on my scrappy travels, around '92-ish all the engine blocks changed over to the newer breather style, with the top bolt on the oil filter housing shifted off to one side compared to the older ones.

11. hardcore_ally Forum Member

some diesel ones fit aswell

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I'd try & get a later MK3 one if you can, these have 3 holes in the top for sensors. Very handy if you plan to run VDO gauges :)