air filter suggestions

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by pol, Sep 13, 2006.

1. POL

pol Forum Member

going to be running no airbox on the mk1 as the bugger won't fit. however i still want to have some sort of filtration on the TB's. heard a lot of bad stuff about filter socks are they as bad as the reports would suggest? other option was to run a piper x/itg carb type filter.
    like this:
    [​IMG]

or some k&n/green stype filter like this:
    [​IMG]

any thoughts gents?

2. yeha Forum Member

Good cold air feed and lots of area for filtration.

3. gofasterpinch Forum Member

imo for that application the ITG/PiperX one is better.

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Either would do an ok-ish job, though every foam filtered comp engine i've seen has let something through the filter, they always had a dark gummy deposit in the trumpets. Personal fav is K&N's, they used to do a large box type filter that you cut the base-plate to suit yr carb spacing (same as you'll have to do for the foam filters really), should still be available. Although i dont currently run filters on mine (and hav'nt for 3 years) i plan on making an air box from ally with a nice large filter on the end of some trunking to it.

5. POL

pol Forum Member

can't be **** with the hassle of making an airbox up right now. was goign to get one of the new pipercross boxes but they are a bit pricey to say the least. 220 i think they retail for.

going to heat shield the tb's and wrap the manifold so should cut most of the heat out. also plan to use some 100mm dia ducting from grill into the tb area. was thinking the k&n style would probably be the best option. will be getting green filters from a purely visual reason(i.e. they will match the rest of the car!).

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Good call. [:^:]