Jamex Stainless Coilovers

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Deako, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just wondering if anyone has used these? They seem like a bit of a bargain, but are they completely pants?

2. Dub20vt Forum Member

there's a bloke on E1k who's got a set on a mk2 and says they're pretty good for the money.

but then what would be classed as good on a 300ish set of coilovers? [:s]

i believe rennsport are a supplier of these.. might be worth a quick call and ask if they've had any feedback about them.

3. G60. Forum Member

midland vw also sell them

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

So do Gwent VW and another supplier on ebay. 299 for stainless coilovers though, good budget option. Probably not the best handling in the world, but then they are half the price of FK/Koni equipped coilovers and KW are even more.

Just discovered they are fixed damping. Bet they are like Supersports and superhard. They are far too harsh, but would like to hear from anyone thats tried them.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  5. 91davidw Forum Member

Spoke to the guys at Gwent and they rate the Jamex very well for a budget coilover, so I'm gonna get them for my mk3 vr6.

But if anyone has them already be interested to hear what they think!!

Cheers
    David

6. Shutto New Member

ive seen the jamex coilovers and have had the same question in mind! could be a risk taking them but let us know how they feel, may start a frenzy.

7. mylittletony New Member

hi guys (and girls),

I bought a set for my mk2 Jetta GL, will be fitting them friday afternoon, then driving from the midlands to London and back over the weekend, so will give a full report when i return.

I've just driven a Koni equipped mark 2 across europe and ridden in a koni coilovered car, so won't be just comparing to the standard ferry spec damping and spring rates!!!

Hopefully this should help.....

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent, let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed they will be fairly soft, like an FK Konigsport on the softest setting. If they are too harsh (like the Supesports) i wouldnt really be interested.

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

So how are they?

10. mylittletony New Member

well [:[]

I've only lowered it about 40-50mm at the moment, but they are pretty damn hard. I guess the bonus of this is that there should be very little rubbing even when real low, I'm going to wind them down a bit this weekend after running them all week.

They're not crashy or totally solid, and the car feels very settled over sweeping roads, they're just very hard so watch out for sudden bumps and potholes!!

I'm keeping them on as I'm young enough for my back to deal with it for the time being!! and the cornering is another level from what it was, but if you want a comfortable ride, i'd say buy a different set.

Hope this is of some help, I'll pop a photo on soon

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Thought that might be the case. Think im going to stick with some Koni T/A and Eibach springs when i eventually upgrade.

12. Professer051169 Forum Member

Could you keep us posted if they settle down at all mate.:thumbup:

13. turbotommy Forum Member

Any more news on these?

14. paul7278 Forum Member

ive got them on my mk2 golf and there quite hard but the car is very low id recommend them for300 though least you can play with the ride height . il post sum pics of how the golf is sitting asap.

15. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

are these staineless for the 300?
    same as unbranded ones (Vmaxx) on another thread.

Not solid and not too hard.... but what are people expecting from coilovers exactly!!!

16. Bundles Forum Junkie

My thoughts entirely.

17. Zub-GTi Forum Member

Guys,

Need some help with these..
    Bought a set of these James Coilover off ebay a while back for my MK3.

Now trying to fit them...
    1; Are they supposed to be around 10cms shorter than the std struts, seem awful short to me!!

2; Can some one give me some guidance on the config of the bumpstop / caps / nuts etc on the rear should be - see diagram.

3; Does anyone know where I can get a replacement threaded (rideheight) collar, as one have seized and just can get free enough to adjust, tried heating, WD40, and have mashed it pretty bad with the hammer.... ...

Diagram;

[​IMG]

1: Not sure if the bumpstop should be on the strut shaft, free to move up and down.
    or
    Fixed at the top.
    2: Problem is that if it is fitted at the top, takes up some of the thread and I can only get one nut on the top inside the car.

Thanks for your help,

Z

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008