Oops, I'm not one of you, again, yesterday

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dubya, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Dubya Forum Junkie

Had this a while now, and I must admit I'm rather pleased with it, and indeed rate it more highly than the '91 GTI 8v that I had before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1999 T plate 200VI, 145bhp VVC engine as used in MGF and Lotus Elise, with leather, air con, electric windows, sunroof and mirrors and ABS

And because it is a Rover, and Rover went bust, I got all this for 1450.

Bargain.[:D]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  2. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Cheap but [xx(]

3. paulyb Forum Member

How very dare you! You can't compare that to a mk2 Golf GTI!!!!!![:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x]

4. Dubya Forum Junkie

I know I can't, because it is the better car.:)

5. paulyb Forum Member

I know the mark2 golf is a far superior car

6. Dubya Forum Junkie

I know it's not.

So there.

7. grumpey golfer Forum Member

this sort of behavior is a disgrace.lol
    what made you go for this THING of a THING

8. Nugget Forum Member

Its a Rover PAH, there is a reason why Volkswagen continue to sell cars and make a profit and that Rover were languishing down the pan of car production when that rolled of the line, and is there to see in the photo's.

Sure the Rover has all Mod Cons and is quicker, but it has no soul, not one ounce of cool, and will cost a fortune when it goes wrong.

Sorry mate, I've driven many of them as pool cars in al guises, and I still prefer the old 8v, which still recieves looks from passers buy and has a really good club scene.

Just my opinion of course.;)

9. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

ha ha my grandad drives one of them! :lol: :lol: Someones getting old before their time! Nice to see you need to talk about other places those engines are fitted to try and make the car sound more desirable:lol:

There is only one reason why rover went bust and we all know what that is mate.

10. paulyb Forum Member

HMMMMM,I can smell those real plastic leather seats from here,and I bet your proud of that real plastic burr walnut dash.Nice. I'm sorry you wasted your money so easily.

11. Dubya Forum Junkie

Well, I had a GTI 8v, and these are very very slow, mainly due to VW being a bit lax and forgetting to put half the required number of valves in. So, I was going to do an engine conversion, but this would have cost me a lot of time and money, and made my insurance even more crazy (it was already 800 for a 23yr old with no accidents or convictions and 4yrs no claims) so I decided to get rid of the Golf.

Having already owned 4 golfs, I fancied something different, so I looked at a BMW 325, a Corolla GTi-16, a Prelude vtec and the 200VI. All things considered, like cost, performance and all that, the 200 was the best car.

Can't say I'm dissapointed with it one bit. Performance is good, the golf managed a 16.8 1/4 stripped of everything that wasn't needed (carpet, sound deadening, all passenger seats etc.) where the Rover managed 16.0 with everything left as is and me not driving particularly well.

Handling is also good, I can't notice any difference between the Rover and the Golf, and the Golf was on Weitec GT suspension, the Rover on factory suspension.

Pretty much sums it up I think.

12. paulyb Forum Member

Why not buy a 16v golf if you think you had a shortage of valves?doh

13. Dubya Forum Junkie

Nugget, you say the Rover has no soul?

IMO the 8v GTI engine has about as much soul as a cereal box. It has no urge to rev, and when it does rev it doesn't seem worth it because it has a power flat line rather than a power curve, and you put your foot down and you can usually read several chapters of a good book before the engine decides to do anything.

16v K on the other hand is very rev happy, with a nice power curve and has no noticable throttle lag.

14. Dubya Forum Junkie

Because I have already had 4 golfs and didn't fancy another.

Plus good valvers are few and far between and one with the mileage, condition and trim level of the Rover would cost an absolute fortune.

I'm on a budget, so it is all about what I can get for the money.

15. bula_82 Forum Junkie

:clap: Brave you for posting the pics and awaiting the critisium :p

I had an MG before the Audi and I had less grief with it in 2 years than I have with the Audi in 3 months - thats not to say i dont like my A3, I do, it took me a while to get used to it but im there now!

Just posting really to say although the Rover isnt all to my taste anymore... If thats what you like then fair play and good luck with it (not that you'll need it if you treat the car right) ;)

16. Dubya Forum Junkie

Bula, have you lost your VW blinkers that come free with forum membership!? :lol:

Nice to see someone who can think about cars objectively rather than looking at the badge and hating it just because of that. Though really the whole point of posting pics was to wind people up, which has worked really rather nicely! :lol:

17. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

A good mate of mine has a 200 VI on an R plate, his has lowered/uprated suspension and drives/handles surprisingly well, only think I don't like is his has a horrible cloth beige interior [xx(]

EDIT: when I sold my last car (A prelude VTEC) I bought a 214 as a runabout while I searched for a Bora, in the 6 months I had it, it never let me down once, and I used to rag the sh*t out of it as well!

[​IMG]

Dubya, reckon you will get a better reception from this lot if you spray it Joke Green and fit 15" BBS RAs :lol: ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  18. GTILass Forum Member

my next door neighbour has one - he can be forgiven - he has afake hip and is about 80

19. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

:lol: Well said:)

20. paulyb Forum Member

So you think you wound me up dubya? that was me being polite,must have been you previous gti that was the problem,because the numerous golfs i've owned and driven are far better than any rover.But that is just my opinion:lol: