throttle Position sensor

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Dub Nutta, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Dub Nutta Forum Member

I'm just in the process of wireing up the loom for my omex ECU to the Suzuki TpS, Does anyone know if the resistance of the pot is meant to increace or decreace with throttle opening.

Thanks
    Ray

2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Resistance increases on throttle opening.

3. thegave Forum Member

Is it meant to increase infinitely regardless of throttle angle or is it meant to have a fixed resistance depending on how open TPS is?

Mine goes to infinity regardless of how much I open it. Only thing that varies is how quickly it increases...

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

May be its broken. Its a potentiometer and should have varying resistance. Unless its wired wrong

5. thegave Forum Member

You mean the connector? I was measuring it from the connector pins with a multi-meter.

So set resistance for each throttle angle. Will need to find a new one then.

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Perhaps you have the meter set to a low resistance range. Is it an autoranging meter that you have? If so, is the autorange option enabled?

Alternatively, are you sure it's a resistive TPS, and not just a sealed unit with throttle closed / WOT switches?

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Didn't think of that. [:$] Yea depending on how cheap the meter is. You may have to select another range. I'm used to using my works multimeter that auto ranges.

8. thegave Forum Member

I thought that at first so I set it to its highest range which is something like 200M Ohms but it still went to 1...0 which I assume means infinite/out of range..

Not 100% sure it's resistive but I've never seen throttle switches sealed on VAG TB's and it's on the wrong side; switch tends to be on the same side as the throttle cable and pot will be on the spring side, this one is mounted on the spring side.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  9. danster Forum Addict

Some of the switches on the VAG twin tbs are just enclosed micro switches, ie not potentiometers.

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I learned this when I walked away from the scrapyard once with loads of "TPS" units I pulled form various VAG cars (or perhaps Volvos, coming to think of it) with much enthusiasm. Win soon turned to fail when I tested them at home. Bit miffed I was! :lol: