Need sugestions, clutch or gearbox problems, please help!!!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Carl loader, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

I really am starting to get annoyed now with the car, i can't seem to get rid of these clutch/gearbox problems im havin. Ill tell the story again incase anyone hasn't heard....

Im getting a bang as i change gear on the ABF mk2 golf. Its using an ABF from a mk3 Golf along with its flywheel and clutch and a 02a gearbox from a seat ibiza 16v cupra. Its so hard to describe properly but when you lift the clutch up to its bite point, it makes a huge thud/bang.

1. Is worse when going from 1st to second, and as you go through the gears it becomes less noticable
    2. The bang only happens when the clutch bites when going up gears, it won't do it if you say come on off the throttle, even when doing it really violently or even bringing the clutch up and down whilst in the same gear
    3. It only happens on up changes and not downchanges
    4. Had the clutch changed about two weeks ago, thinking that was the problem. It completely solved the problem for about 3-4 days but now its back to its usual ugly self
    5. Doesn't seem to be any play in the gearbox/diff etc as i had a little fiddle whilst it was off the car
    6. The gearbox was from a crash damaged ibiza. One of the bolt holes that bolts the main case to the bellhousing on the diff side of the box had to be welded up due to the crash
    7. All the engine mounts are month old G60 ones and they made no difference when changed
    8. Doesn't seem to be any drone type noises coming from the gearbox but i am gettin a ticking noise when at low speeds with little throttle (thought it might be inner cvs?)

Has anyone got any ideas of what it could be? Clutch was changed as a complete kit as well as release bearing. Doesn't seem to be any oil leaks anywhere on the box or in the bell housing

Could the gearbox be buggered? I've never changed the front cross member bushes if that could be the problem (seems like too big a thud for that though). I can't see where anything could be knocking against anything else under the engine bay

Also could anyone confirm that the flywheels from the golf and ibiza 02a are the same?

Please someone help, almost wish i never bothered changing the engine now!

2. Carl loader Forum Member

Please can someone give me an idea of what it could be, its driving me mad!

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

hard to say car, on up changes I'm sure the engine is pulling to the back and them moves forward
    Can you do it while stationary? and have somebody what the engine for movement, or anything else?

inner cvs will make a ticking/knocking noise thats consistent with the road speed

4. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers crispy. I have tried having a mate stand next to the car whilst bringing the clutch up. Best he could figure was that it was coming from somewhere inside the gearbox, but couldn't be any clearer than that

I take it that as long as the gearbox mates to the engine and the input shaft for the clutch lines up, there shouldn't be any other problems in terms of fitting? Just trying to think if there was anything i done wrong when fitting

What about if the bearings on the end of the input gear train (?) were knackered and there was some float, could that cause a bang to go through the box?

5. Carl loader Forum Member

Right, don't know if this gives any other clues to the problem but i've noticed the bang on the clutch bite is worst first thing in the morning (or when the engines cold), but does improve as the engine warms up

I also noticed last thursday when i drove to southampton (all motorway for me) that once i got there, the problem had nearly dissapeared, but after restarting and driving the car later that day, the problem was back. Could it be something to do with the gearbox, maybe once the oil warms up, gets into every part of the box, heats everything up and expands everything taking out some play there could be?

Any other suggestions most appreciated

6. Carl loader Forum Member

Can anyone confirm that the golf and ibiza ABF flywheels are the same or not please!

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Mm, gearbox sounds suspect, especially after being in a crash. I do have a Passat 16v cable change box in the garage but I dont think you are local?

Gurds

8. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi mate, cheers for the offer. I do have another i just won on ebay (although i can't get any response from the seller at the mo)

It really is bugging the crap out of me as i can't drive the car properly, its something to do with bringing the clutch up quite quickly, if i i bring it up slowly it won't bang

Also, not sure if its related but the engine always seems to bog down as you bring the clutch up and apply the accelerator for the next gear, like it looses its response for a second

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  9. Carl loader Forum Member

Right, i didn't think it would be but i've just changed the front crossmember bushes for poly ones and its made no difference what so ever.
    If there was something wrong with the diff (it has had a bang on the diff side of the box that had to be welded up) is it possible there is something wrong with it or the adjacent gear train not aligning properly? The bang only happens on the initial gear change up into gear (if i once in gear put the clutch pedal back down, then bring it back up again, theres no bangs at all, smooth as anything)

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Are the subframe/wishbone bolts all really tight? I had similar knocking noises that were attributed to this.

11. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi deako, yeah there all nice and tight. Its definately got something to do with the clutch/gearbox.

I do remember that when i first had the car converted, it never used to do it, which was making me think gearbox as even after changing the clutch, its still doin it