mk2 16v 2.0 vs type R civic

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by dubst16v, Dec 13, 2006.

1. dubst16v Forum Member

just reading a thread earlier bout hot hatches and
    GVK saying bout he got shown up Vs a Type R

i got a 2.0 valver myself and always thought it would be a really close match with the weight advantage but slightly less bhp??
    did he really leave u for dust GVK??

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i wouldnt bother racing a civic R, im sure ive been wasted by them in the past.

had a chase with an 'r sport' civic the other night, he was basically getting in my way, but civic r are very fast

3. dubst16v Forum Member

lookin at civic type R stats 0-60 = 6.7
    bhp/ton 160
    should be very close but guess torque is better

4. Seraph Banned

i wouldnt bother racing at all tbh (unless your talking about a track, which i doubt)

5. Phil. Forum Junkie

S sport's would be no competition. My 8v would be just as quick if not quicker so a 16v should have no problem with them.

If your talking about a Mk2 2.0 valver vs a CTR on a track with plenty of gradients that would be interesting. Honda's have no torque remember.

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I've outdragged a CTR in the Astra - Sounds daft but they have naff all oomph until about 6K rpm.
    I hadn't realised what it was (it was dark) until I got to a roundabout- Shocked to say the least but in certain circumstances big torque beats big bhp (like up hills).

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

G-LET didn't struggle against the Civic Type R's.
    Stayed bumper to bumper with my mates old Integra Type R JDM that ws quite heavily tuned until i hit 130 and he could go on to a 160 top end.

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

My pal used to have a CTR when I had a Mk1 with a 16v conversion and it was a fair match in a straight line but the Civic was way beyond what the Golf could do in terms of cornering grip, braking, handling etc. It really was an impressive car if driven properly, ie. at very high rpm.

I would have thought a decent 2.0 16v Mk2 would be close to one, especially if you caught him off guard and not in the vtec zone, driven hard the CTR is very quick! :p

Tellingly though, as an every day car my mate soon got fed up with the CTR's lack of low down torque and having to constantly change gear to get anywhere - he's got a BMW E30 325i sport now, much better in my opinion!

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I was going a lot faster than I should've been and one pulled out from behind and pulled away.

Could've been supercharged.

Yeah, that's it, it must've been, eh? [:$]

10. GVK

G-LET was officially fast tho.

So fast, that I hear Clarkson is very dissapointed that it's been scrapped as he really wanted the Stig to beat the TG test track record in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. thegolfman Forum Member

You'll have to do the same then wont you GVK? ;)
    I wanna hear some whining from the VR! [:D]

12. GVK

I've got to be careful round here, the first night I had the mk2 VR on the road I passed a few cars on the Worcester ring road, one was a black Octavia VRS.

He had some nice blue lights on the front bumper.[:$]

He informed me that the dual carriageway wasn't a race track [8(]

Sorry occifer.[:$]

13. Daz... Forum Member

I've only had a play with one type r and that was starting at speeds in fifth which i shouldn't have been travelling at....let's just say I went past him and he didn't look happy. Obviously if the road had been longer then he would come past with a higher top speed but I find the short fifth gear in valvers works a treat with a 2ltr lump.

14. dubst16v Forum Member

hmmm very interesting I think ill have to try match up against one at the pod sometime. if its true bout lack of go lowdown my 2.0 valver should cause a few probs as it seems to pull from 2k to 7k without letting up a smidge! :)

15. melinamotor Forum Member

Be careful about using this torque arguement with the CTR, it has plenty enough to deal with standard golfs + VR6's .( Bit different with mods obviously, my mates Edition 1 supercharged golf race spec jobbie ****es all over a CTR)
    For a 2.0 lump its ok.
    Bit of a myth this lack of torque a disadvantage when the bloomin things rev to just over 8k. remember also the engine in the CTR is a different animal to the one in the DC2 teg and ATR. The accelerative forces are noticeable from around 3k and the VTEC trickery kicks in at 5800 rpm, the i-VTEC presents a more linear curve than the older lumps.

I would say as stated earlier in real world driving (not drag racing) on twisty roads with traffic etc etc whatever hatch you mention will keep with any other. One thing is for sure the steering on the Golf is much much better than the CTR, FACT ;)

16. thegolfman Forum Member

Naughty GVK.
    Still though, At least he was sound, some coppers are right cnuts.

17. gtijon Forum Member

The MK2 would have a 100-200kilo weight advantage over the Civic for a start.

The Civic's got around 160bhp/tonne.

A Golf would need around 160-170 brake to match that (unsure of the weight of an ABF MK2).

Then the things the Civic has over the Golf are:
    LSD
    Better suspension design - every single Civic will have been designed for power steering, so there will be more castor, meaning more camber when cornering.
    Stiffer shell (IIRC reading all CTRs are seam welded at the factory!).

You could build a 170bhp ABF Golf with an ATB / Peloquin diff, keep the gearing to about 130mph on the limiter (because at the end of the day you'll very rarely be able to exceed a tonne for long in the UK), stick some good suspension on it (possibly to the point of adjustable top mounts and different wishbones), front and rear strut braces and be around CTR pace in my book. I'd say there's easily 2.5k to spend on the MK2 to get it to that level. A Civic Type R can be had for around 6k. The Civic would be easier to sell on, but would depreciate. You'd lose most of the money you put into the Golf, but it wouldn't depreciate.

You pay your money and you take your choice...

18. nate187 New Member

UK CTR's dont come with LSD. The Jap ones and all the Integras do.

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

some of the essex group were out on satuday night, and there were a fair few "races" with civic Rs. a mk2 abf will be all over a civic R, even my mk3 wasnt letting them go. a mk2 abf running properly (one of them used to) would surely have peed all over the civics.

20. G-Man Forum Junkie

I got pee'd on a few months ago by a local in his Jackson racing charged CTR, now that shifted. 'Parrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp' :lol: