My little project...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by golfmantobes, Jan 14, 2007.

1. golfmantobes Forum Member

Hello to you all, my names toby, i thought its about time i got my act together and actually posted abit of what im doing!! I guess you could say im into my VW's, ive had 2 mk1 gti's and a mk3 vr6(which i wish i had kept[:^(] ) Im currently having an affair with the blue oval, rs turbo...i know, i know.... and your all right, it's emotional!! Anyway onwards and upwards! My fav car tho has to be the MK1, just for handling and the sheer grin it puts on my face when it gets driven properly! Brilliant!
    I bought this little mk1 back in 1999-ish after haggling with the former owner, and P/X-ing my grey mk1 gti!

Im sure there's someone out there who might recognise the car, but any-who....This is what it looked like, when i bought it and stayed pretty much the same up untill i got hold of a garage last january! oh and i started this little project last april!
    [​IMG]

eventually started work on it..let the fun begin! (excuse the mess, i started to use the car as a recycling centre towards the end! )
    [​IMG]

Well off with the bonnet to reveal what i personally think is a wicked engine! (former owner done conversion...think thats why i wanted it so much!!)
    [​IMG]

At this point, i was deciding weather to just "tidy it up" due to there not being massive amounts of rust or go the distance...what do you think i decided...?!
    looks like its all the way then!!
    [​IMG]

This is pretty much the worst bit of rust on the entire shell..well, front valance is nipping at its heals, not bad for a 23-ish year old body!
    [​IMG]

Nice chunky half cage out (poss for sale soon? keep ya eyes peeled??!!)
    [​IMG]

Inlet manifold off to get to the exhast manifold, and all wiring unpluged ready to pull thu baulkhead
    [​IMG]

Classic 90's mod...old 3 series BMW dash conversion was fitted well, but not going back in!
    [​IMG]

Dash and carpets out, just the wiring to pull thru, steering column and pedals to drop and thats the inside stripped!
    [​IMG]

After lowering the engine out, i thought hmm, why struggle crouched down to take the steering rack etc off, just lift the whole car!!!!! my mate neil insited he get in there 1st tho!!!
    [​IMG]

well thats it, just the fuel tank and lines to drop and thats it, its a shell!!
    Took 1 of the wings off, and that took nearly an hour by the time i got thru all the wax oil, seam sealer etc, glad its there tho...not a trace of rust here!!!!
    [​IMG]

A little selection of goodies i came accross at a jumble sale...lol! got talking to a mates brother and he happened to work for a motor company type place, and got this lot for an absolut bargain!!!
    [​IMG]

In between hang overs and getting hammerite off my hands i been thinking of what engine to use, and done abit of reading up and thought about this....a few of you out there will spot, and guess what im thinking of doing... here's a clue..the throttle wasnt on that side before?!!![​IMG]

All the bits and bobs are only getting test fitted at the moment(otherwise i'd loose bits!!!!)here's another clue... [​IMG]

Managed to track down a rear corrado bench, and got that pretty much fitted, just need to do final welds to brakets etc
    [​IMG]

Managed to track down a dash i wanted, stumbled accross it by accident on 1 of my trips to a scrap yard...cost abit, but worth it, just needs final adjustment and thats all sorted...i not seen this 1 done yet and want to save some bits till the end as a surprise for people, so you'll forgive me for not saying what it is!!!
    [​IMG]

New wishbones, and full poly bush set going back on hole car, and might even be able to use the old intercooler from my rs turbo for the new engine, which by the way might not be the 1 from the earlier pictures, as i was talking to a friend again, and something bigger and better might be popping up soon?!!!
    [​IMG]

Well after much cursing, burning and swearing, i managed to put together a sturdy subframe for the front seats (too tight to pay for the frames direct from recaro!!), and there fully adjustable! was going to put the corbeau buckets back in, but i had a pair of rs turbo recaros in the loft so thought, hmmm i'll make them fit and by god i have! really pleased with how they fit and look!
    [​IMG] And yes all the interior is getting re trimmed![:D]

Well thats it for now boys and girls, i dont get up my garage as much as i like due to work commitments etc, so the pictures might be abit delayed, but will post as and when i can!
    Hope you enjoy! cheers...tobes

2. rob_s New Member

looks good,my guess is thats a polo mk5-6 dash [:D]

3. benthejettaman Forum Member

good work so far keep us posted about the progress oon it

4. bob5doors

bob5doors Forum Member

Love the effort you're putting in, looks like you got a great bast to start from too!!
    Good luck, I'll keep an eye out for your posts!

5. monza 16v Forum Member

Good project mate, looks like a lupo dash to me.

6. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Lupo dash for sure!

Great work....And my guess is a 16VT?;)

7. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Just a "little" project:lol:

Good work - never been sure about modern dashes/interiors in old cars, but will wait to see the finished result:thumbup:

8. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Join the gang ;) :lol:

Interesting little project there!

9. Carbs4ever Forum Member

nice build - keep it goin! :)

10. H8SV8S Forum Member

I'll keep my eye on this one! :) [:D]

11. K'Reg Forum Member

Excellent write up/photos, keep us updated, oh and well done:clap:

12. sally_healey

sally_healey Forum Member

Could be either a Polo 6n2 dash or a Lupo one? Anyways looks a nice car, keep us updated on the progress!!!

13. Mushroom Forum Member

How big is ur garage??? 2 golfs, a turbo and a mini.....car daft?

14. Admin Guest

nice thread!!!

awesome little project too, a lot of mk1's being cared for!

15. gary wigg

gary wigg Forum Member

hello looks like you have your work cut out, keep them updates coming.

16. golfmantobes Forum Member

thanks for all your kind words guys, im really glad im going all the way with it, i do like me MK1's[:D]
    I managed to get the weekend off so done some more!

The 2 frames i had to put together, very pleased with the outcome!
    [​IMG]

Seatbase bolted on...
    [​IMG]

And there we have it, 2 fitted Ford rs seats fitted...and sliding!! (roll on the re trim!)
    [​IMG]

Also started to get the shape needed to fill out the gaps at the edges of the corrado rear bench, again will get whole card etc re trimmed!
    [​IMG]

Carbs4ever...ive been watching your thread for a while, really enjoy it, very in depth etc, hope i can be as informative as you! oh and i hope you dont mind, i sort of used your jig idea!!!!![:$] works well doesnt it..and cheap!!

mushroom...just a small lock up i got![:D] the pic with the white cloth over a car is a xr2 fiesta hill climb project my mates working on..(blueprinted xflow or somin on twin 45's?? my desire for fords is going down, so dont listen much!!!) the mini is another guys, but he's not been seen for 8 months so i might scrap it for him as i might have a 2.9 raddo on the way?!;) and this weekend my mate added his renault 11 turbo to the collection!

Funkbaron, i totally agree with u on most old/new things, but when i stumbled across this dash i tried to picture it, bought it fitted it in, and was pleased with how it looks with the seats etc, not too over the top with gauges everywhere etc

I like all your guess's as to the engine and dash etc, im hopefully getting up to the garage this weekend as i have to strip everything back out, finish welds etc., then fingers crossed by the end of feb it should be all shotblast,red oxide and new panels started to go on etc

Will post as and when guys, and thanks again for comments, cheers, tobes![:D]

17. golfmantobes Forum Member

well its been a while since last update, been so dam busy with work!!![:s]
    Not a great deal to update with at the moment, except for ai got carried away last monday and got myself a present...can you guess what it is??!![:D] [​IMG]
    Ive finally got time to get up to me garage this weekend, so more pics to follow![:D]

18. alan1272 New Member

looks like a vr6, 2.8 or 2.9?

19. vduben Forum Member

makes for the ultimate daily driver tho;)

20. golfmantobes Forum Member

Well i got up me garage today, didnt get loads done as had to sort the rubbish out and go to the tip, but i got few pictures to post...

From 1 Dub to another!
    [​IMG]

Thats what its all about!!!
    [​IMG]

Couldnt resist puttin it in the bay, even if a little lop-sided!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Excuse the quality of some pics, had to use phone camera! Hopefully up me garage again tomorrow to refit me suspension and hubs etc so i can get the shaft/engine alignment right and get working on the engine mounts etc![:D]
    More pics/updates when i can, take it easy y'all!!:)