Grinding Noise???

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Stu.wilson, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Stu.wilson New Member

Well hope someone can shed some light on this, my car 1.8T T reg gold mk4. Car/box has done 152k miles, but engine was changed back in sept '06 with a 46k miles one. This problem has been going on since dec start.

What happens is when pulling off in 1st (and it only happens in 1st, no other gear) there will be a horrible grinding noise with vibration through the pedals. But this really will not happen in other gears, does not matter if pulling off slow or fast.

Now the strange bit is, when stopping you get a shudder and resistance in the break pedal. Now this only will happen when out of gear with clutch up or down, it feels like the break pedal is punching. Pads & discs are fine and no other visable problems on the breaking system.

one last thing is when i looked under the engine there is a connector next to the sump plug and this is not connected, but can't see any loss cables or plugs.

Can anyone help please, i'm really stuck and can't figure this out. Also just to make sure i've checked the box oil correct how do you do it??

Many thanks stu

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007