Using lightened flywheels on turbo'd cars...

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by richgit, Feb 20, 2007.

1. richgit Forum Junkie

As a lot of you know, im running a 300bhp 1.8t 225 lump in my mk2. Want to change from my 02A gearbox with stock vr6 flywheel and clutch to a 6 speed 02S like in the mk5 golfs. Potentially 400bhp later this year with uprated parts.

Question is, my mate alex is offering me one of these for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fida...004QQitemZ140083175859QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

coupled with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-...009QQitemZ190080346264QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Question is, (putting aside the 6 speed gearbox) obviously my engine as it is produces a lot of torque (304lbft), will the combination of parts above be a benefit to how the car drives, or will it increase / decrease the bhp / torque / or where they occur in the rev range?

And also the 6 speed box... perfect for my application or too short in terms of gear ratios? I also need to know if the 6th in this box is longer than my 02a 5th, as i want a more comfortable cruising speed.

Cheers!

2. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

If you can get this months PVW mag that will explain all what you need to know about gearing well the basics. Me i am sticking with my 5 speed ....i bet that every will go to 6speed soon then find that the 5 speed is better because it has longer gears

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As you asked on the 'other' forum.
    Lightend flywheel helps free up torque by reducing inertia. On lower compression turbo cars you may find this to be helpful for response off boost.
    You can lighten your OEM but very heavy 02A fywheel without buying one. Sachs sport clutch will be fine too.
    Gear Ratios (VW has a few 100s of these) would be down to what you will be using the car for, type of tyres/wheels and its torque curve. I can say from your info that a claimed 304lbft in a 1.8T would peak very early (around 4400 revs). You also claim 300bhp but gave no rpm points. This means you would need a gearbox that keeps you around this peak figure to give you the "shove" ( wide spaced)
    There is a G/box FAQ that gives ratios and calculators. Have a look and see if there is anything in there to help

4. richgit Forum Junkie

thanks for the reply mate. it hits 304lbft at 3421 revs, and 297bhp @ 5900 rpm. as in the other thread, i think sticking with my setup will be better. Maybe a 6 speed box from a diesel touran 1.9 would be better then, as the pvw article this month says that the ratios are longer...