9a with kr head, best gasket set..?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Aphex, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Aphex Forum Junkie

Hullo, just been looking round the bay for the impending installation of my new head and wasn't sure what to go for, I had a look at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220022051115&rd=1&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220044462288&rd=1&rd=1

Would these be suitable, I've been told I'm best off getting the metal gasket as per abf lumps.

Or even anywhere else I can get one? Thanks people, you lot always make light work of my problems :lol:

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

ABF metal gasket from VAG about 28

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I certainly wouldn't go buying 'no name' brands off of ebay.

The GSF Elring Stuff should be fine, or maybe a metal one if you're uprating as well, but it might cost you a smidge of compression.

4. vagobonds Forum Member

Go with the ABF metal gasket.
    GSF gasket is fine but would no skimp on the head bolts buy VAG bolts CHEAP BOLTS just don't pull down good.
    ;)

5. davidwort Forum Member

If you ask a VW dealer for a 9A gasket you should be supplied with a metal layered one, although as previously said it's also the same part used for the later ABF blocks.

6. 60 fast New Member

so the 9a and abf metal gasket is the exact same size i was under the impression the abf would be a slightly smaller bore being a longer stroke and same cc ?? i have just bought a metal abf gasket for my 9a not started it yet so havent compared.. someone enlighten me

7. 60 fast New Member

bumpy:) :)

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you order a genuine HG from VAG for either a 9A or ABF you get the same gasket - used them on my mk2 with no probs.

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

10. Aphex Forum Junkie

Nice one, cheers gvk :thumbup:

11. rupe Forum Member

The abf gasket is that part number 048 103 383D 28.00 +vat and the 9A gasket comes up as 048 103 383B 23.86 +vat the abf one says it's metal, but the the 9A one doesn't.

edit: that was looking under vw cars with abf,9A just had a look under seat's to see if the same part was any cheaper, but it's the same.They list both those gaskets for the seat abf, only again with a note that the one ending in D is metal. So they must be the same size.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  12. 60 fast New Member

cheers i have the metal one but wasnt sure. gvk did you use any sort of sealant with your metal gasket or anyone else ????

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no sealant is required, just chuck it on :thumbup: