2.0 16v Cams - How wild, what lifters, 2.0 or 2.1?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Mike_H, May 18, 2007.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've got a Mk2 with a 9A 2.0 16v engine in it....mostly standard.

I'm building an uprated version - another block, lightened and balanced bottom end, Man-In-The-Shed Head, which will then get BMW 1200 Bike throttle Bodies (which have the same spacing as the 16v head) and Megasquirt management. I've also sourced a 4-branch and Supersprint race exhaust for it.

I have another car as a daily driver, and this is my track day car so I'm going to put hotter cams in it and not worry too much about fuel consumption, or if it's a bit lumpy low down, but I don't want a total screamer with no bottom end, as with engines like that, it can be difficult to get the best out of them, for the average driver.

It's been suggested that Newman 276's might be a good compromise, and can still run on hydraulic lifters, up to a rev limit of about 7000 or so. What sort of power figs should I expect on that spec (will I get to the magic 200 bhp?)

What's the rev limit on hydraulic lifters, and what's required for a solid lifter conversion? I heard somewhere that I can use solid lifters from an old Alfa Twin Cam engine, but not 100% sure on that.

I'm at the stage of sourcing the main parts and figuring out where to get the machining done.

In your view, is it worth going to a 2.1, or is it best left at 2.0?

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. prof Forum Addict

276s in robTs made 215bhp IIRC

268/270 cams in some K-jets have made 200bhp

with a 2.1 you will need to modify the pistons, however if this could be done so that you raise the compression [iguanas went very well with more comp] combined with the mapped ecu then you could run much hotter cams with no worse bottom end than 270s in a k-jet.

Hotgolf would be a good source of info on this

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

solid lifter need depends on the cam profile rather than the duration - cams are typically sold as hydro or solid cams - much cheaper to stay on hydros and probably enough for a road based engine on stock-ish compression

i know of engines that have run to almost 8000rpm on hydraulic lifters

if you are building a road / trackday engine and can go any capacity (not restricted bt race regs for eg) , then the bigger the better, its relatively cheap to do this also and the gains are well worth the outlay generally

newman 276's on a throttle bodied engine thats in good health with good compression on megasquirt should top 200hp no probs......but not many do......dont know why

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Mike,

My cars:

Mk2 has a 2.0l 9A with Schrick 268/276 cams and hydraulic head on KJet, revs to 7800 and has produced 201bhp / 160lbft @ Stealth Racing three years ago. Car is used as an occasional daily driver, sprint and hillclimb tool. FD is 4.25 in a standard ratio 020 16v box. With the standard 3.67 FD it was OK but I felt that it was too `tall` to make best use of the powerband, peak power is @ 6700 and torque @ 6500.

Mk1 has 2.0l 9A with Newman 290`s and solid lifter head on KJet, not yet run-in so have not explored upper limits or taken power readings. This is a dedicated sprint & hillclimb car. I hope that this engine does turn out to be a `screamer`, initial impressions up to 5,000rpm are promising .. it revs so easily, tractability is masked by the fact that the gearset is close ratio.

Both engines were built by TSR, they outsourced the machining for the solid lifter conversion, I don`t know who to though.

HTH`s ...

5. BULL

BULL Forum Member

i'm running shrick 268/276's with k-jet and k-star mapping control. 194bhp at stealth.
    the bottom end is a standard 9a 1984cc thats been re-balanced with a lightened (by me) 02a flywheel and vr6 clutch.
    go see David Knight at Knight Engine Services for your machining, he did my 3 angle seats, block work etc, he sent the head to Dave Crisell for porting. the man knows his stuff!

DAVID KNIGHT

KNIGHT ENGINE SERVICES,
    FURNACE LANE,
    NETHER HEYFORD,
    NORTHANTS,
    NN7 3LB.

TEL: 01327 340900

MOB: 07859901462

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm acquainted with Mr C ;) - I was going to ask him who he uses for the bits of machining that he doesn't do himself. I'll look up David Knight.

I thought hydraulic lifters were supposed to be a problem if you rev them much over 7k, due to over pressurising... not necessarily?

7. prof Forum Addict

Barnys ABF has been to 8k on the tach on a number of occasions, didn't seem to suffer

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks for the comments so far... good food for thought. What sort of CR are people running to get the right power figs? Are high comp pistons the way forward, or are some of the engines above running standard ashtrays

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

From my limited experience with 16v engine, you need to raise the CR to get the best from them, be careful - some JE pistons (like the ones I used) are only giving marginally higher CR than stock.

My last engine, ok it lasted 5 mins but with 272 Newmans and JE's at 10.8:1 it gave pretty much the same power as the stock 9A with twin exhaust cams.

16blue on here has a 2litre 16v with Wossner pistons that Stealth put the bottom end together on, that goes well. 12:1 CR or simillar on that...

Of course the higher CR should help the mid range torque too... look at Hotgolf's 2.1 16v - fair enough it's running carbs but it's got as much peak torque ( at Stealth ) as my VR6!

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

i got a set of neuman 288s for my 2L not fitted them yet thou

11. steved Forum Member

Newman 288's, Je 12.5:1 Pistons with a few other mods on Standard lifters rev limit set at 8100

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Interesting... any idea what power output you're getting?

13. IanCarvell Forum Member

You cant go wrong with the two Daves, they aren't the usual bull **** merchants, they just do the job right without any fuss or self promotion.

Bull...was that you that followed me down into Badby the week before last in my white Mk2 8v...there cant be too many LHD 16v Rocco's kicking around.

14. steved Forum Member

Not had the carbs set or a proper map done yet, The engine is good for 220bhp but only got 194@ 7100 so 1000 rpm short of the limiter 1nd 158.2 ftlb torque @ 5624 rpm, This is on 45's

15. BULL

BULL Forum Member

i've got std 9a pistons in mine, i'm gonna pull the engine out over xmas, re-bore and stick in some wossner HC jobbies.

he uses David Knight,

dave's a real honest guy, he'll do a really good job, he can also supply parts such as bearings, thrusts, new valves etc.

16. BULL

BULL Forum Member

that must be the one you bought from pete at GSF!

i must have been me on my way to/from work, what time was it?

ive only ever seen 3 other genuine scirocco 16v's in the uk

17. IanCarvell Forum Member

Yip thats the one...I think you may have come out from the estate where Middlemore is down towards Badby.

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

The more I deal with Mr C - through the group buy, the more I'm impressed with the quality of his work, and commitment to ensuring that everything that goes out is worthy of his reputation.

Guys who are good are usually too busy to stand bullsh***ing all day, even though they're still petrolheads who love a good chat.

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I spoke to DAve C when I got my 16v head done, and he doesn't do solid lifter conversions.

I'm toying with one, but haven't found anyone that will do one for me. I'll give Dave Knight a call. Anybody know of anyone that will do them?

20. BULL

BULL Forum Member

there used to be a PIPER solid lifter kit listed in the demon theives catologue. SCHRICK should do one, they do valvesprings, Ti-retainers etc

Last edited: May 19, 2007