MK2 GTi Engineering *New Engine*

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Admin, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Admin Guest

Hi, here is my Jade green daily Mk2, Iv owned the car for nearly two years now, the pics show the before and now progress, hope you like.

This is the first day of owning the car, she was advertised as a Digi GTi Engineering car with the 'plus pack' - big valve head, ported inlet/exhuast, good for around 125Bhp. The car came with electric windows all round, Bilstein suspension - which I have found out was on the car from the factory, a quick rack and a Zender spoiler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She was in a little worse for whare when I bought her and the previous owner run her without an air filter which later was linked to why she was running on three cylinders. I stipped the engine down and rebuilt the head, it turned out that the running on three cylinders was due to a nic in an exhuast valve and destroyed valve seat, so I had a new seat fitted and replaced all the exhust valves, bearing in mind that they where bigger and made of stainless. Stripping the engine also showed that the car was running a 268 Schrick cam - nice.

[​IMG]

I rebuilt the head with a 8'000 mile C&R 1.9L bottem end, with KS pistons lightend and balanced. The exhuast was upgraded at the same time to Miltek 4 branch and Jetex system.

At the same time I repaced the wheel bearings, added poly bushes rear and new brakes front 280mm.

After the engine was run in I took a trip up to stealth and Vince remaped the Digi ECU for me, (it needed some serious tuning towards the top end). The car pushed out 139Bhp and 138Lbft. The car likes to rev now, instead of losing power after 5k this will pull right up to the rev limiter. It had sensible mods and has the same if not more pull from low end revs than a standerd Digi. Im happy with car as a daily and it will do over 40mpg with sensiable driving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car also had many other bits and bobs replaced or sorted, this included the wheels to G60, a rainbow interier and OEM fit pioneer speakers all round.

[​IMG]

The car has recently been given some new summer shoes and a good scrubbing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  2. MUSH Forum Member

Absolutely stunning mate, esp on the BBS RM rims at the end!

Is your exhaust hanging on a slant tho? apart from that it looks tops!

Pic in the car park is quality!

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm seeing double[:s]

It looks great!

4. Admin Guest

Yeah, your right, I had to fit it in a hurry and iv never bothered to straghten in, it looks real piky. I will change soon.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I do like this - a classic car, classic tuner, right history, good power and great mpg. Looks 'right' on either the Montreals or the BBSs, so nothing deviates from the era.

The quick rack - any more details? Non PAS I assume?

6. Admin Guest

No, which is a surprise, it is PAS and it is the lightest steering in a Golf I have ever used. ( Have been contemplating removing it for my track car for some time, but i feel it does not give enough feel- this is being harsh.) I beleive it was installed at the same time as GTi Engineering did there stuff, which was before the car was sold to the first buyer.

It is so different from driving a normal GTi, most people nearly plant it into the nearest curb. :lol:

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Interesting. How many turns lock to lock?

8. Admin Guest

I don't know of my head, ill have to try it and ill post then. It's probley not alot less then normal, but it's has a initial responce unparallel to most cars. (and any MK2 Gti iv driven).

9. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Thats very nice...lovely car that!

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hi mate ive never liked mk2 5 doors but this looks spot on, just right. You've chanaged my mind about 5doors for ever

11. gazwold Forum Member

looks spot on mate jade 5 dr mk2's rock

hers mine

[​IMG]

12. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Lovely - subtle mods in keeping with the original style, the way I like it! :)

13. paulyb Forum Member

some people say that jade green is not a popular colour, don't know why because your car shows just how stunning it can be if polished to perfection:clap:

retro class mate[:D]

14. philip walker Forum Member

Looking good, more bits on the way !!

15. Admin Guest

Cheers, the bits are for my project car on another post somewhere.

Yeah I seen your thread in members motors, very nice.

Yeah there is a 2nd Jade green 5 door in thos' pics, it belongs to my brother who im shore will post it up here sometime, it's going to be more impressive than my car.

It is 3 turns lock to lock, don't know if that is any less but I do know the steering is quiet a bit sharper than all the other MK2's iv owned

and heres a few with the Zender spoiler fitted to my Jade green...

[​IMG]

16. Admin Guest

This is an update that I wasn't expecting or ever wanting to post but here we go.

Got back from the Mongol Rally and the car was running a little rough, on a cold start it was droping cylinders! so i changed the whole spark set up, no change! Oh well I thought ill figure it out sooner or later.
    A week or so later and the oil buzzer and light came on when I was off throttle at around 2.5k RPM! hmm, changed the oil pressure sensor and that sorted that. A week later and I had to do a 600m journey, the oil pressure warning light and buzzer had come on again!

I had to do this journey for work but I wasn't happy with the consequences of what it was going to do to my car!! So after 300m on the motorway I arrived at work the car buzzing when ever off throttle!! Not good. [:^(] [:^(]

Well I drove it home a couple of weeks later vior castle Combe for Rally Day. It was now starting to ever so slightly knock and the tapets were getting noisy.

I made it home and started the search for a new engine, I have a 1.8L sitting in the garage so I will use that if push came to shove, but I found a 2.0L 2E in a Passat at the scrappies 120K, he only wanted 120 for it. I went down there test drove the Passat, checked the compression all good - Ill take it.

He told me Ill have to wait two days while he drains the fluids and ripes it out. I bartered with him and for 100 notes he let me take it out there and then, through the pooring rain I got the engine out and into the back of my poorley running Golf.[:^:]

[​IMG]

The next day I ordered the gaskets, seals and spare parts I would require to do the change over. I set about tearing into the car striping the engine out, then i cleaned up the new engine, a lick of paint and with the muscual of my brother put the 2E in.

[​IMG]

Before the engine went in I gave the gearbox a good scrubing...

[​IMG]

I had lying around a ported PB head, which had been recond with new valves, stem seals etc so in that went.

[​IMG]

I new my gearchange was a bit sloppy, so I investigated this and replaced the bushes, but I think it was the balls fualt...

[​IMG]

The parts I ordered took an extra 3 days to arrive which really was annoying, but as soon as they arrived I built the engine back up.

[​IMG]

I decided to run the MK3 alternator and brackets becuase this is a much better design then the MK2, no need to tension it and less slipage in the winter.

[​IMG]

Whilst the engine was out I replaced the heater matrix, as this had been blown for nearly a year :o :lol: [:$]

[​IMG]

So new engine in and a new MOT (mine was out of date by some record 3 months [:$] :lol:) all within a week and a half.

Still have the annying warm up starting problem, in a attempt to fix this I have changed everthing apart from the battery, fuel pumps and wiring, but I will find out what is causing this soon.

[​IMG]

So how does she drive? very well in fact, the day I had the MOT I had to do a 400mile round journey and she drove great, good MPG near the mid 40's, drove like a dream on the motorway yummy and smooth.
    Interesting is the way in which the power delivery is so different from the 1.9L, low down the 2.0L has slightly more torque, it kicks in earlier max at around 3k were the 1.9L would have been at 4k, the 2.0L revs and pulls well to 5k but after that it's abit like flogging a dead horse, changing up a gear gives better results. Where as the 1.9L would pull strong up to 4.5 and then pull even harder to the limit.

The 1.9L felt a bit quicker and had more pull in higher gears. But on testing the two cars back to back on known roads simular speeds where reacted by both - the 1.9L being slightly quicker/ faster.

To some up the 2.0L is nicer to drive normally ie around 3k, it has loads of torque and a good power delivery, but for an all out thrash the 1.9L was hands down winner.

Compare tho' the parts and costs of the two engines and I would have the 2.0L over the 1.9L anyday, nearly as quick but better for normal driving.

The old 1.9L engine was as follows.

1.9L KS 83mm Pistons, Lightend balanced bottem end ARP bolts.
    Big Exhuast Valve ported head with stainless steel valves.
    Schrick 268 cam.
    Ported inlet manifold.
    Drilled airbox K&N panel filter.
    TSR 4 branch manifold heat wrapped.
    Jetex 2" system.
    Stealth mapped ECU.

The new 2.0L engine is as follows.

120k 2E bottem end.
    Ported head. Standard cam.
    Ported inlet manifold.
    Drilled airbox K&N panel filter.
    I have returned to standard exhuast and down pipe.

The 2.0L is a budget engine, it has a standard exhuast, home modified airbox, a 300 ported head, the bottem end cost me 100, I have sold the 2E head and other bits for over 50 now so all in all it has cost me about 250 without the gaskets headbolts oil etc.

The 1.9L cost me 220 for the C&R bottem end - including dodgy oil pump! Lots at least 300 for the head (I recond it new valves etc), 150 for the cam, 265 for the 4 branch and 150 for the Jetex and 350 for Stealth to remap the ECU. All in around 1436, for the slightly better performance it produced it was not worth it. Not including gaskets headbolts oil etc.

A nice Newman cam some ECU moding and the 2.0L will easily out do the 1.9L all through the rev range.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  17. perryqhill Forum Member

I like it. Not usually a big fan of 5 door models, but coming round to them a bit now.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice classic Golf and colour. Wheels finish the appearance nicely.

19. cocobay63 Forum Member

i love that, the wheels really set it off

20. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Beautiful car Smudge.