H&R Mk2 rear ARB fitting, with photos)

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by frank4, Jun 10, 2007.

1. frank4 Forum Member

The rear ARB is straightforward to fit, basically a U shaped bar that is tied to the rear beam and mounts at the ends of the rear struts. The H&R beam is a meaty 28mm that should stiffen things up, but is also adjustable with three settings, soft, medium and hard, I guess?

The car was still on the stands after fitting the front bar yesterday and the first thing that I did was clean all the sh*t of the rear bar and spray some release oil on the rear strut mounts bolts and nuts.

ARB1.jpg
    RARB2.jpg

You may notice that further on I have moved the stands from the beam to the body to allow movement in beam for ease of removing and fitting the strut bolts.

I then fitted the alloy links to the rear struts, I supported bottom of the each beam end with a jack to allow me to lower or heighten to let me align the beam and strut holes for removing and fitting the bolts. Straightforward, but worth noting that the longer bolts can be a bit of a struggle on the lefthand side to get in between the rear silencer and the strut mounting. Also the end of the link that the beam bolts to has a rubber bush with a tiny hole compared to the shanked bolt that fits it, but with a bit of silicone grease it pushed through with finger pressure.
    RARB3.jpg RARB4.jpg

As I was working alone, (again), I decided to attach the bar to the both link in the middle setting, with the link in a vertical position and held the beam in place with a tywrap, that way it found its natural position on the beam.
    RARB5.jpg

It was then just a case of fitting the bushes, which are split, the steel bush mounts and the mounting straps. The bushes have to be 580mm centre to centre on the rear beam but there a two dents in the rear beam at exactly 580mm to it made alignment a doddle :)
    RARB6.jpg

In the picture below you can see the existing ARB.
    RARB7.jpg RARB8.jpg

That's both ARB fitted..... [:D]

2. SimonG Forum Member

Nice guide mate. I did mine about three weeks ago using the H&R ARB's, although I haven't driven the car yet!!! The rear one was pretty straight forward but boy did I struggle with the front [:x] . Never again! How does it handle now?

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

To make it easier to get to the lower shock mounts, undo the top mounts from inside the boot and the shock will drop down, makes it much easier. I use a piece of tube over the top of the shock to guide it back into the turret when I jack the axle up to refit it, to stop the top adjuster getting damaged on teh Koni's.

4. frank4 Forum Member

Unfortunately I've not driven it yet as I was repacing a hub and the tie rod ends at the same time and need to get the alignment and camber done.
    I did the front the day bar before and posted some pictures

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=130503

I found that if you get the "angle" of the bush and bar right they push in fairly easily, the pics may make it clearer. Maybe for the next time you have to do it? [:D]

5. SPERMBANK

SPERMBANK Forum Member

Im assuming that it would be a similar fit for a mk3 gti?

How much does an arb kit like this cost approx?

6. frank4 Forum Member

I bought mine from europe performance, here is a link to the Mk3 H&R ARB kits page,

http://tinyurl.com/2cqwy9

There are a variety of kits, I called just to ensure I was ordering what I actually wanted and they were pretty helpful

The total cost for the the 25mm front and 28mm rear that I bought was 289, including VAT and delivery.

Hope this helps.

7. testacorsa New Member

Nice guide!

Did you actually leave the excisting/standard ARB in there?