usb-serial adaptors

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Dub Nutta, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Got one of these and am having problems trying to connect to my OMEX ecu, just getting a parity error seems to connect for a second then go offline...

The driver disc that came with the adaptor has been installed any advice on PC settings or anything else i can try??

Thanks

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I use USB to serial adapters frequently for various things and find that they work extremely well.

This is probably going to be really obvious and I expect you've already checked this, but the only thing that comes to mind is to ensure that the PC software for your ECU is configured to use the new COM port that your USB-serial converter has been assigned. Your ECU's software most likely won't be set to the correct COM port by default.

You can determine which COM port number is assigned to your converter via (assuming Windows XP here): Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance | System | Hardware | Device Manager, and then you'll probably see your USB/serial converter when you expand 'ports' and you'll see its COM number there. Configure your ECU software to use this COM port.

3. Fenn Forum Member

use a good quality one. i had problems with scrambled ECU's using a cheepo one. then spent 20 on one with a chip in it (what ever that does) and have had no problems at all.

4. Dub Nutta Forum Member

5. Trev16v

They'll all have an IC (chip) inside them; USB to serial conversion couldn't be done without one. The one in the eBay listing looks just like the one that I use for some pretty demanding stuff.

I take it you have managed to get the ECU and software talking to each other in the past using a PC that has serial ports?

6. Trev16v

The quantity of USB ports you have is not relevant. The 'virtual' COM port assigned for the USB/serial converter could be any number. It could be anything from COM1, COM2, to COM40 or even higher. If you know what COM number is assigned though and the ECU software is definitely configured for that then I'm not sure what else. Maybe... maybe the ECU makes use of handshaking signals that your USB/serial converter doesn't support. Or the converter doesn't support the baud rate that the ECU wants to talk at.

If you tried to 'connect' to the ECU from the PC with the ECU completely unplugged from the adapter, do you get the same or different error message?

If you cannot resolve this then maybe a cheap old laptop with a serial port off eBay is a best bet...?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  7. Fenn Forum Member

i had problems with that one you listed on bay. it made my K3 emerald ECU go hay wire when i tryed it change anything. got a new, better quality one and have had no problems what so ever.

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Get a recomended make from another OMEX uset, both my Megasquirt and Emanage are finicky with some adapters, InterWrite delay has something to do with it. I bought a cheapo Toshiba laptop with real serial port and it`s great for tuning the cars, don`t have to be super carefull about damaging it..