A quick megasquirt & distributor question

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by woza, Aug 25, 2007.

1. woza Forum Member

Hi. I am going to be squirting my 1.6 8v (eg engine code) soon controlling fuel & spark. I know I need to prevent the dizzy advancing the ignition but how do I go about this? Can I use the stock mk1 dizzy or do I need to get one from a digi car and if so which one?

Thanks
    Alex

2. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Take a look at th one on the car - you may be able to lock the advance mechanism. If not use a mk2 8v gti dizzy (if it fits) as it has no vacuum or mechanical advance.

3. woza Forum Member

Thanks for that... Not sure how I would lock it off though? Has a vacuum advance unit on it. Looks like I need a mk2 item.

Cheers
    Alex

4. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Another bonus of using a mk2 item is you can use the Hall sensor for your ms signal. Or you could ditch the dizzy altogether, fit a toothed wheel on the crank and run ford edis - its a pretty idiot proof setup.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^Indeed.
    But for VWs the exisiting hall, TCH-i or vr (if later engine) senders work fine with MnS-e.

The easy way is to get a Mk2 8v GTi, as said by Bertelli_1, or MK3 ABS dizzy (SPi) with 4 windows and use this to trigger the MS which could then output to the TCH-i or if your supplier has fitted a VB921 just output to coil.

6. woza Forum Member

Thanks for that. I'm sticking with the dizzy setup as plenty of people seem to use it with no problems and it will be easier than going for edis.

Supplier is modding MS-I with 5v pullup and 5v inverted hall input for vw. Apparently that is all I need to get it going.

Cheers
    Alex

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Then you are using an internal ignitor as output to TCH-I is non inverted.

8. woza Forum Member

Sorry. That is double dutch to me!!! Is what the supplier is doing correct for what I need to run it off the dizzy?

Cheers
    Alex