will abf metal head gasket fit a 3a block??

Discussion in '16-valve' started by ThE_gOg, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ThE_gOg Forum Member

hi:)

looks like i'm going to be changing the head gasket on my conversion, so want a metal one if poss.

will a abf metal one fit the 3a block??

cheers

Chris

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yeah... all the 2.0 ones are the same (actually, not 100% sure about the X-Flow 8v's)

Anyway, the answer to your question is YES

3. ThE_gOg Forum Member

nice one cheers Mike:)

Chris

4. Setone Forum Member

this is what i use with my 1.8 pb head and 2e bottom end, as i've heard because its metal it will rasie compression?

is this true and what would the compression be? its tought a F**K to turn over by hand, compared to my old 1.8 which was in good working order too.

Can you work out the compression ratio if you know the actul compression in each pot?

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not really... the gasket material doesn't affect compression. It's slightly thicker (minimal) so if anything the extra thickness will very marginally lower the Compression Ratio.

If you're turning it over by hand, take the plugs out!

Also if your old 1.8 was tired, it could have been very easy and loose to turn... depends on friction between the rings and the bore walls, friction in the bearings, how much and what type of oil, etc.

I couldn't work out the CR from the compression readings on a gauge... the way to do it is to measure things while static.

a simple example:

A 1984cc engine has 496cc per cylinder (swept volume)

If the volume of the combustion chamber in the head, + the piston dish, + the thickness of the gasket is 49.6cc, then that would give you 10:1, which is the standard CR on a PB 8v or KR 16v engine.

If anyone has some clever tricks to help with this, I'd be happy to hear it!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  6. Setone Forum Member

I don't think the old lump was too worn but did't take it apart so i wouldn't really know to be sure didn't smoke and still pulled well.

I was just surprised be how hard it was to turn over by hand. This must be a good sign tho? engine runs well pulls like a train and i'm very happy with it. I will do a compression check just so i can monitor it.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Depends... if it's half-seized it'll be hard to turn too!

8. ThE_gOg Forum Member

gsf don't have any at all according to the guy there, and would take 2 weeks to order one in[xx(]

they have the fibre ones but i suppose i might aswel just fit a 3a one then??

would other motor factors stock the metal ones??

cheers

Chris

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Ask for an AGG one they too are metal. probably the same gasket

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Euro Car Parts list one, although it doesn't say whether it's metal or not.