EDIS or Bosch VW

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by matt1471, Oct 7, 2007.

1. matt1471 Forum Member

OK, have started installing megasquirt and come up against a few problems.

I am now debating whether i convert to the Ford EDIS ignition system, or keep the stock distributor and hall setup??

What are your thoughts please??

2. DarrenE Forum Member

Send a PM to toyotec, has has extensive knowledge of meagsquirt and now does r&d for ford injection systems.

3. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

are you fitting it to a 9A or ABF ?

I've just got a EDIS unit and coils pack and was going to run Magejolt just for the ignition.

i have an ABF Bottom end which has an existing crank sensor but this is 62 - 1 .

The EDIS Unit reads a 36-1 Trigger so i will have to fit a ford trigger wheel which aren't much but would be nice if i could calibrate the EDIS to read the VW Trigger wheel.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  4. matt1471 Forum Member

fitting it to an ABF lump!!

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

You can do it both ways, but I've not seen anyone list the pros/cons of either system? The EDIS way is a pain becasue you have to rig up a triggor sensor & wheel! Toyotec had his 8v running just off the dizzy, didnt even have a crank sensor!

6. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I'm in the process of changing from a v2.2 board controlling fuel to a v3 controlling spark and fuel. I'm fitting it to an ABF and am going to be using the built in crank sensor. Seeing as its there i might as well use it rather than have to mount a 36-1 wheel and sensor. I also wanted to tidy the engine bay so rather than mount extra EDIS parts i'm getting rid of the dizzy/coil and running wasted spark from 2 VB921's in the MS via a coilpack.

Theres not a lot of info on the ABF crank sensor and wiring as it seems to be a Hall where as other vw crank sensors are VR. I've pieced together info from various sources and hope to install the MS and have it running in the next week.

There are a few changes that have to be made to the v3 board, mainly fitting wire links to back drive the opto circuit and changing resistor values to suit the 12v hall.

I'll let you know how i get on.

steve

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  7. matt1471 Forum Member

tell a lie, its going on a 9A lump!!

Have you got yours mapped yet steve???

8. bigfatpixey Forum Member

did mine on a standard bosch ignition using the hall sensor. you will have a signal and earth connection going in to m/s, basically you need the signal to read +5v then earth when the window in the distributor is open/closed. a pull up circuit with a resistor is used so the signal is either +5v or earth. the standard hall sensor gives a siignal of earth or open circuit.

the green wire in the middle of the sensor is the signal either side is + or -

i recon it would be easier to use the hall sensor as its already there, the only thing you need to do is fix the distributor at the right angle but with a standard timing strobe and the mark on the flywhee,l 6deg is pretty easy to get.