Now using Biodiesel!

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by G-Man, Oct 10, 2007.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Basically I run 450-500 miles a month commuting and finally fed up paying 99.9p (1 basically!) a litre.

So local biodiesel supplier sells it at a flat 92p a litre!

So 8p a litre saving here i come [:D]

Running 50% mixture for the time. The guy who owns it has his 306 HDI re-mapped too and loved having a lil chat about remaps and bio-derv [:D]

Will let you know my results of how it runs, start ups and MPG :)

2. prof Forum Addict

that seems a lot
    how much can you buy cheapo chip shop cooking oil from netto or macro for?

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Didn't think you could run modern TDI PD engines on straight cooking oil, and the methods of making it daught me as i don't wanna damage my engine or injectors [:$]

4. Supercharged Forum Member

For the sake of 8p per ltr I wouldn't use bio in a PD, lots of people having problems with VNT turbo's sticking after using supermarket fuel which contains 5% bio...

5. Supercharged Forum Member

EDIT - just saw what you got, 1.4 so no VNT but in my opinion the savings are not good enough to outlay the risks...

6. 0420Dubber Forum Member

We're using bio in our work vans. So far no problems after 2 months. I just cant get used to the smell of it. Smells like a dirty kebab van. It's funny to watch people twitching their noses when you drive past them. Sometimes they look like they want to puke. WTF is that smell :lol: Also I noticed about the smell today. In our van, we have a Mitsubishi Canter it smells like the kebab shop. But in the LDV vans it smells completely different. Still really bad though and we're using the same bio from a local farm. [:s]
    I remember doing a search on bio diesel. Think I read on wikipdeia that there are only 2 manufacturers that approve of the use of bio in MOST of their engines. Scania was 1 and VW oddly enough was the other. Cant remember if they advised mods to the engine but I do remember that they recommend to change the fuel filter 2 months after switching to bio. The additives/natural chemicals(<--not sure which?) in bio are supposed to clean the fuel system out and clog the filter. But after using bio continously the filter will only need changing as per natural life.

7. Nordoff Forum Junkie

There's a hippy commune down south that run a course teaching you to make bio diesel.
    I'll see if i can dig out the url after me night shift tonight.
    tsc would like it. One of t' byproducts is glycerine.

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah the chap who runs the company showed me the factory.

The byproduct glycerine is horrible stuff! [:s]

He has 25 tons of the stuff he showed me and looks rank [xx(]

As for the running with PD, this is not just a 'keg and fill' job. He has proper fuel pump to fill the tank with.

All the appartus he uses seems good large machinery rather than bodget stuff.

So far I can notice the difference:

1) Smell: It smells like a dodgey fun fair van selling chips/burgers and a cross with doughnuts. Smells nice actually [:$]

2) Start up: With 50% mixture tonight I noticed a 'very' slight slowly start up. Usually my car starts on the turn of the key without waiting for the glow light, now there's a 1/4 sec delay before start up.

3) My car on start up/cold engine doesn't appear as 'tappity' as it used to.

No performance differences really, same old same.

Just going to see how my MPG does now :)

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

As for VAG engines, read a bit. There's ALOT of people who talk rubbish on the net preeching 'VAG' don't like biodiesel and should not be run. Actual fact VAG can, because they don't have the perishable lines.

Secondly you should changed your fuel filter after the first couple of tanks, because biodiesel actually cleans the fuel lines and can clog the fuel filter, which the chap told me many people ignore often and he can't recommend enough.

Checked my manual and it says its fine; just that ensure its approved quality and 'recommends' a minimum of 50% for general use.

10. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Very interesteed on how this goes for ya dude!

keep us informed on MPG!

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

Been doing some more research. Aparently VAG engines from 1999 - 2004 are fine with Biodiesel, but afterwards you need to check because some of the newer diesels have a 'partical' filter that doesn't allow the use of Biodiesel for some reason.

Also checked I'm running 'used' veggie oil, which actually VAG tdi's are supposed to run of RME (rapeseed methalated esther-something like that). But so far no problems, but trying to source another local RME supplier.

Start up this cold morning was fine, drove fine no problems. Performance again seems same no noticeable drop/gain.

Smells makes me laugh though as its just hard to describe. But really really want to make sure the PD pumps aren't damaged using the 'used' oil, even though the bloke uses the machinery from the main Biodiesel machinery company and has biodiesel to the specified regulation for 100% biodiesel.

Bloke also lets you buy a 200L keg with a turn style pump for 20. Basically its a one off 20 you pay for the drum then you exchange the drums on a basis like gas canisters. Then he'll buy back the drum for 15 when you're done. Seems good but sadly I can't trasnport that much.

12. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

my next door neighbour runs his mk4 golf SDI on biodiesel. it's about 72p a litre where he gets it.

i wsn't sue whether the lupo would run on it, but it's the same as your arosa so i don't see why not.

13. prof Forum Addict

72/L sounds good

me mates got an old G reg merc and runs it on marco's best stuff, costs him very little

14. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

IIRC you are SUPPOSED to send the Govt a cheque for the tax on diesel if you run your car on cooking oil. Yeah right!
    What are the claimed evironmental benefits of boidiesel over normal diesel, or is it just beneficial because it's a renewable resource?

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yep same 1.4 TDI lump. So far did 35 miles to work this morning, no issues to report yet.

I'm planning to run this full tank down, then put normal diesel in to see if there's any difference.

A mate gets his for 82p a litre but has to buy it bulk. Plus not many outlets sell biodiesel.

I was tempted to sell the Arosa and get a mk4 Polo 1.9D to run on veggie oil from macro, and just buy a pump to put it from the large drums to the car.

Benefits of biodiesel:

1) Costs less (can be alot cheaper)
    2) Has a higher certane rating (Diesel verson of Octane rating)
    3) More beneficial for environment - less harmful emissions
    4) Less toxic to touch - apparently 10 times less harsh than getting diesel on your hands
    5) Better lubricant to the engine; apparently less ware
    6) Short term can keep the fuel lines clean from deposits from normal diesel
    7) Less soot - handy for me so my stainless exhaust tips aren't as black

Downside:

1) Not many outlets sell them
    2) Dubious reliability on engine - not sure long term results on certain engines
    3) Slighly harder to start in cold
    4) Cannot use 100% straight in winter
    5) Funky smell from exhaust
    6) Varying qualities from outlets
    7) Apparently very marginal decrease in MPG?

16. Seraph Banned

Agree.
    I've heard of nice little arrangements with pubs, who'll let you 'dispose' of their oil for free!
    Ealier this year, on one of those consumer programs, a guy had a brand new Touareg converted for not a whole lota money. So it can be done.

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah the newer VAG TDI's can use Biodiesel easily, just apparently need to remove this filter :lol:

As for Veg oil conversions, they generally tend to involve a 2nd tank with a heater for the veg oil. The car starts up of normal diesel, then when the engine and oil is warm enough the car switches to veg oil. Not sure the cost of it though.

The chap who does the biodiesel i am using get his from numerous kebab, chip shops and resturaunts around. So not much money really, but he's having trouble disposing the glyerole as he has 25tones, even if they're used for soap making etc....

I've read more about making 'home biodiesel' but will see if i can source it from containers which my mate does on the cheap!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  18. G-Man Forum Junkie

After 120 miles I can confirm the MPG as I do the same journey everyday at the same speeds with only about 5-10 miles difference when I hit the exact markings on my fuel tank.

However the Biodiesel is about 20miles short of what I usually get at the current tank marker. Despite what biodiesel people say, the MPG is affected. But read this interesting quote from another forum:

'Normal Diesel contains more energy (BTU's) than Biodiesel, hence gives better performance and MPG. Biodiesel has a higher Cetane than normal Diesel, so explodes more readily. Therefore, a low concentration of BioDiesel in the ULSD will help it to explode and lubricate the engine better, giving you more response and MPG. At higher concentrations of BioDiesel, you get even more response, but less MPG and power due to the lower energy in the Bio.
    It's a tradeoff between Cetane, BTU's, and lubricity.'

It appears what I'm experiencing is correct. So at 92p a litre, there's no cost benefit in it for me really. My usual mpg is around 55mpg but seeing a drop to about 50mpg on the bio diesel approx.

One thing I have noticed and its a very noticeable thing is my engine is a damm site smoother! With my modified airbox and cotton filter, i usually get an 'induction' rumble at 2k rpm when the turbo is spooling up to full boost. Now that rumble has gone and the engine is a lot smoother and quiter on pick up with the boost.

Moving on here, I think i might do what other people are currently doing regarding biodiesel. I'm going to stick to normal diesel, but add about 1.5L of bio into my 35L tank, so i run a bio diesel content of just under 5%. This means my MPG won't reduce at all however I get a slightly better combustion and better lubrication.

Unless my local biodiesel was at 82p i would continue using it, sadly at 92p its still way off the cost benefit mark.

19. squibby Forum Member

Why not use it for the ethical reasons?

Surely the world needs a better way of disposing of kebab and chip fat. Think of all the IT students who have to absorb it into their facial skin for us.

20. G-Man Forum Junkie

Right its come to the end of the week, and sadly need to fill my car up!

Usually i get to the fuel light in my 35l tank (fuel light has 8l to go) and tend to usually get about 300-320 miles depending on how i drive.

On bio-derv at 50% i only got 270miles.

So basically not great on MPG wise.

This week i'm trying Total Excellum diesel - bascially V-power/BP Ultimate version of Diesel from Total. See if i get more miles to my tank for the extra 3p per litre (basically an extra 90p per tank)