Coolant level sensing

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by EZ_Pete, Oct 20, 2007.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

After my comically unsuccessful attempt to clean out my expansion tank recently, I splashed out on a new one this morning. They all come with the necessary 'probes'/connector for the low-level warning system now; so how easy would it be for me to 'hook this up'?

I expect I could improvise something if necessary, but would the necessary loom wires, etc. be present already on the car (bit dark to look atm)? Wishful thinking, no doubt...:lol:

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

if its a mk2 then yes it will come with the sender in built

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Yeah, it's the car in my sig. '91 Mk2 1.6 Driver.

4. Supercharged Forum Member

Er yep, your car would have come from the factory with this tank / sender...

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Someone must have put a tank without this stuff on it then [:x] :lol: .

Edit: Just had a look by torchlight.
    Hmm, curious... There's an unconnected two-pin connector (clear housing) down behind the expansion tank (couldn't make out the wire colours), but the wires aren't long enough for it to have ever reached the top of a tank, and the connections are different to what's on the new tank. No control unit fitted in the location (5) suggested by rubjonny's Fusebox FAQ neither. As said above though, Wiring diagram 47 in Haynes 1081 says "All models from 1987" should have it.

Edit2: By daylight that unconnected two-pin thing is on the end of some heavy white/yellow and brown wires, maybe 1.5mm or more, not the ones for the level sensor, definitely.

Help!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Err nope, 1.6 MK2s did NOT have a level sensor, only GTIs did. As for wiring it up, see my fusebox FAQ :)

The 90 onwards models dont have a level sensor control unit either, its all built into the clocks. You just have to add the 2 wires to the fusebox plugs :)

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I was hoping you'd spot this. ;)

You're a gentleman, so just the two wires from the tank to the relevant spots (C5, C8) on the back of the fusebox, and I'm good to go. [:D]

8. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

That plug you found is probably the fog light connector.
    I replaced my coolant bottle but the dealer sold me a blanking plug for the level sender. Mine was the older kidney shaped bottle though, noit the newer sphere shape one.

9. rubjonny

I believe so, only other thing is perhaps the wires between the clocks & fusebox are missing, perhaps ;)

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I will report back on this, could be a fairly easy mod, with good 'engine protection' benefits. Not so keen on getting to the back of the clocks, if necessary, mind [8(] .

maxmo: fog light connection sounds about right for that unused connector.

11. rubjonny

clocks loom is easy, once the dash under tray is off you can see the plug for the clocks just sticking out. Pop it off and fit a GTI one, job done :)

12. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

OK, so there was a link between fusebox terminals C5 and C8, which I've interrupted for my sender wiring, but even open-circuit I only get the flashing coolant warning light during the self-test phase. I've got the red/white wire going from U2 pin 5 to Dash connector pin 2, which according to the FAQ is the one I need. I'm slightly suspicious that I may actually need the control unit in relay position 5, 'cos this is what's the other side of fusebox connector U2.[:s]

Time for lunch, anyway.
    P.S. I've got a day's leave today, in case you were wondering, lol.

13. rubjonny

Well put it this way, niether myself or J_S have one ;)

There is the possibility that only GTI clocks have the necessarly logic to work a level sender, but I doubt this is the case.

Edit: If my last point is in fact true, then perhaps with non-GTI clocks you need the control unit in position 5, in this case the relay number is '43' and can be found on pre-90 GTIs on a seperate relay holder clipped to the top of the fusebox. This would explain why this control unit is referenced even though GTIs do not have them. Of course it might be that US spec GTI clocks do not have the level sender logic and require the control unit :)

Edit2: Didnt read your post properly whoops :lol:

14. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Just spoke to my "Mk2 man" at a local garage, he has a big box of spare relays, gonna pop round later.

He told me a slightly bizarre story about how on some old Cabriolets there was a fault in the construction of the probe-setup in the expansion tank, which caused coolant to come out under pressure, follow the wiring all the way back to the fusebox, and drip on the driver's foot! :lol:

15. rubjonny

Yeah I've heard that, though it was supposed to happen on any of the pre-90 tanks. maybe karman got a faulty batch of senders which would explain why only cabbies were affected. Who knows!

16. Supercharged Forum Member

Mine did John but it was a very late Driver...

17. rubjonny

must have been optioned up, or VW ran out of non sensor tanks I guess! My mate (sc0rian) had a late 1.6 driver without one.

18. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah was trying to think if his did or didn't...

19. rubjonny

rule of thumb is 'no probably not, only in a special case like yours' :lol:

edit: shame you dont have it anymore, would be interesting to check out the option codes to see if this was indeed an optional extra on lower spec cars! Also, wonder if 1.8 drivers got this as std along with the rev counter clocks, might be the very last of the 1.6s got the 1.8 spec. Did it have a red trim round the grille?

20. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Re-feckin'-sult [:D]

No need for the control unit after all.

Set off towards the local car-shop to buy some crimps for the ends of my new sender wiring, with the wires open-circuit, and, 50 yds down the road, a flashing coolant light in the middle of the dash!

Tried to make it go out by holding the bare wires onto the terminals, but without success (engine still running). It seems you have to cycle the ignition off and on again to clear this fault condition; sensible, I guess.

Got my crimps and hooked it up properly, started her up, no flashing light. Disconnected one wire, still no flashing light, until I set off up the road. Somehow, it seems that actually going along seems to be a pre-requisite for the sensing circuit to do its thing.

Just need to do a confirmatory test by actually siphoning out some coolant and checking that it objects to this, next time it's cold. EDIT: All good on that front:thumbup:

Anyhow, for the price of a new expansion tank (<30 from stealers with CGti discount. EDIT: Ahem, or a third of that from GSF or AVS, doh!), a bit of terminal block to connect your new wires to the cut link between C5 and C8 on your fusebox, and a couple of 'speaker-connection' type crimps, I'd highly recommend this mod to anyone with a late mk2 driver that they care about. After all, who checks their coolant level before every journey? Of course it'll also alert you to a problem on the move, which could save your engine tbh.
    There's even a handy blanking grommet 10" or so above the big one where you're steering column goes through, for your wiring to head out through.

Yay!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007