1.8T Aftermarket Management

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by mk1 driver, May 13, 2004.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Which aftermarket management do people go for when they want more power from the 1.8T powerplant?

I think the standard management can go upto about 300bhp or something like that due to it having some very handy sensors already in place?

I have heard and seen 'Motec' being mentioned a few times, is this one of the best systems avaliable? What capabilities would one of these have?

Does anyone have any links to some good information with regards to aftermarket management and some case studies?

How much would I be expected to pay for an aftermarket brain? Do they usually come with all the wiring and some sort of basic program to get it to turn over when it's all wired up? Does aftermarket management do away entirely of the original wiring loom?

Sorry for all the Q's [:$]

2. speedster New Member

My 1.8T is running on Autronic which is different class.
    If you want more info send me your e-mail and I will send you some more info and pics.
    And don't listen when people say that ECU's for about 600-900 are the same as ECU's for 1100 and upwards because they are not the same you get so much more.
    If you wanted a stereo for your car you wouldn't buy a Goodmans/Alba even though they still play cd's and radio you would buy a proper one. [:D] [:D]
    Edited by: 20vee_t

3. Mr T Forum Member

the motronic 7/7.5 management found on later 1.8T set ups is very very good. But it depends what you want it to do, if you want to adjust timing, fueling, load advance, etc etc, then go for atfermarket. If you do go for aftermarket be sure to get a system that runs 'knock control'.
    The OEM management will run higher than 300 and is quite capable compared to aftermarket.

4. speedster New Member

I dont agree that you need knock control.
    If the engine is mapped correctly there is no need to worry about knock control.
    Why do you want it to keep retarding it.
    The only reason knock control is used is so that a map will work on a mass produced engine.
    I am not running knock control with no probs. at all.
    [:D]

5. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

PM Sent Speedster ;)

What would the limits be of the stock EMS on a 150bhp 1.8T be? if anyone knows....

6. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

limits! there is no limits on stock OEM, just depends on how your engine is set up and how it is mapped same as aftermarket management, all depends on how deep your pocket is and how far you want to go with it

7. prof Forum Addict

exactly, designadubs have had it running over 500bhp, on a certain nutty 4x4 mk2 ;)

8. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

I've heard good things and good gains from people using MoTEC. I'm going for DTA who offer a pretty good package.

9. trendy tramp Forum Member

totally agree with speedster - you don't need knock control with aftermarket management and anybody who tells you that you do is an idiot. do a search for more info, i can't be ar5ed to type the reasons AGAIN

tt

10. prof Forum Addict

as long as the mapping is good, eh! mart

11. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

you know you wanna really mr tramp

12. prof Forum Addict

mods can we have a sticky post with all of TTs words of wisdom in please to save his poor homeless typing fingers

13. trendy tramp Forum Member

do you know how cold your fingers get at night with only a pair of fingerless gloves and a cup of tea to keep you warm :lol:

tt

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Thanks for the clarification on the matter people regarding the capabilities of the OEM management :thumbup: [8D]

15. madmk4 Forum Member

Knock controll can be usrful, if you can ever get it to work effectivly on an aftermarket system....

These engines do go bang though ;) and when they do it's not fun...

Still debating over what ECU to use, Motec to expensive ? DTA crap to non existant UK support... Only really leave Omex and haltech, opinions ?

Not interested in hearing anything what so ever about standard management...

16. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

what about g60 with volkspeed kit(?) anyone any idea what sort of limits the g60 system imposes ?

17. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

yep a big bang like slapbladder`s cabrio 20v

18. 800gallons Forum Member

G60 ecu, on 20vt, no no no.

Std good, if u want to map it,

DTA is ok

others i have concidered are autronic and tec3

19. trendy tramp Forum Member

Knock Control on aftermarket = sh1te
    We have a team of 2-3 people on knock control per engine and they work on that for 2-3 years to perfect it. The guy i know who works on it ays it's sh1te. Don't bother. It's more about protecting the cat if there's a partial burn or misfire than preventing engine damage. Everytime you changed your engine spec significantly you'd have to change the knock strategy. Problem is the aftermarket systems don't have a strategy, they're sh1te pure and simple.

If you're after an aftermarket set-up I can get you a decent ECU (one tier down from F1 level) at very very good prices that include dyno set-up. Much cheaper than MoTec as well.

tt

20. madmk4 Forum Member

Sounds interesting to me, cheers.

I've sent you a PM to keep the mods happy :)