k04 conversion from a k03 engine

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by turbotommy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. turbotommy Forum Member

Started the swap from k03 to k03s as its an easy straight swap (engine out you see) and TBH its fiddly enough and it not much more work to chuck the whole k04 kit on (which is what i wanted as an end result anyway)
    Just wondered if anyone has had any problems with the insall as i've seen people modding the o/s/r engine mount for the oil return pipe!
    Only other thing that springs to mind is the audi tt (225) turbo to intercooler pipe,any clearance problemswith STD engine mounts?? (one of the changes that must be made)
    I have all the necessary parts for it (except mabe the new clutch for the torque lol)

2. vwd40 Forum Member

Well with the K04 you will need to swap turbo, manifold, downpipe, oil & water feed & return, injectors, fuel rail, FPR, boost hoses, and possibly mod the rear mount.

K03s is a straight swap and you can keep everything even the injectors with a remap.

3. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

3" maf and 4 bar fuel pump (s3 etc) are also good ideas, and Silicon TIP.. Im doing this conversion on my Ibiza at the moment..

So far i have:

New turbo - Forge actuator
    Ported manifold
    TT injectors
    Forge TIP (Ko4)
    3" MAF
    4 bar FPR

Next on the list is downpipe and de-cat, bigger FMIC, fuel pump etc..

Will do all the water and oil lines when the turbo is on, i'll drop the sump at the same time to get fitting welded in for gauges, so when i do it ican put a list of all the fittings needed, and rough lengths of hose etc..

where are you getting your remap done? I spoke to P-torque, they seem to know theyre stuff very well. Failing that Custom code will be my choise i think..

4. HidRo Forum Member

I believe the S3 FPR is 3bar as well as the stock AGU one.
    And the rail can be modified to fit..

5. turbotommy Forum Member

Yes its a bit more work but it does have some advantages (next post should explain them) all water/oil line have to be swapped anyway so i was thinking its just manifold injectors with the possibility of the engine mount modified (its off anyway) only 1 boost hose is fitted,fuel rail & FPR not required ( been told they go straight in to my manifold if they can flow enough & need to run a 3 bar FPR)
    Thing is the engine is hanging from a crane atm (downpipe not fitted yet) so i don't really see the point in fitting the k03 sport,chucking the engine in then removing it a second time to fit the k04 i want to run in the long run.

6. turbotommy Forum Member

I'm not totally sure if my TT FPR is 3 or 4 bar (APX code) and also been told the injectors will fit straight into my manifold (by someone who did it) without using the fuel rail (i have it if needed) my engine code is AYP
    Was reading about your conversion last night & didn't realise it was so simlar to yours ;) excellent work i must say :clap:
    Will start a build thread soon when i get a bit more done [:$]

7. turbotommy Forum Member

Hi!
    I see you have a mk3 Ibiza? this is the same engine as mine (AYP i presume?)
    When trial fitting the k03s i started to fit a forge TIP & i came across the old metal water pipe getting in the way for starters,then i still have the inlet/outlet on the same side (i was going to remove the battery to the boot and fit the chargecooler in its place using the air con condenser as the pre-rad) fitting the TT charge pipe will mean i can plumb in a FMI quite easily and leave the battery relocation for later date.
    The higher position of the k04 should solve the water pipe problem (bought another TIP for it too) although it'll need a larger cold air feed now [8(]
    Not running a MAF (so i sold it) and i've got to run 3 bar FPR with the managment (MBE for quite a few reasons) and a de-cat down pipe.
    How far have you got? i'm taking pics of every stage so i'll have it all documented for future ref [:D]

8. HidRo Forum Member

If you have the AGU intake mani, you will have to modify the injector seats (just minor sanding from 2 sides, I can show you how later on).
    If you have the intake manifold with the larger injector seats, it's a direct fit.
    ;)

9. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Hi mate, yeah AYP coded Ibiza Nothing yet as far as progress, just collecting the parts to do it all in one foul swoop, I have the TT intake pipe too, but I think I am going to use the stock one for starters, the metal water pipe will be replaced and re-routed with some silicon if it becomes an issue!

I will be running a Pro-alloy (Jabbasport) FMIC which comes with all the relevant pipe work, so may offer up the TT inlet pipe and see how much extra pipe work is needed..

What down pipe are you using, Im going to use a qpeng Mk2 Ko4 item with any luck, might need some minor tweaks, but nothing is impossible!

BAM, and most other 225/k04 1.8ts are 4 bar, early 210 S3s etc might be 3 bar though

10. turbotommy Forum Member

Hi!
    I think the turbo will be a little higher up & miss the water pipe tbh (only 1 way to find out lol) I have a 2nd hand custom down pipe but its a little short i think,might just get a qpeng one as i've seen the quality 1st hand on a k03 D/P
    Should be starting it within a week.

11. nick20vt New Member

why go for the k04 most only map to around the 260mk and an 03s will do 230-240 also will boost quicker than a 04 to much hassle for the small increase in bhp

12. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Ko3s do 230-240bhp for 1 power run, started from cold.. Before they get hot and then do about 190bhp, they dont hold their boost properly are designed for 7psi, not 21 psi that most are remapped too. And runs out fo puff at about 4500 rpm.

The harder you push a smaller turbo, the higher your intake temperatures become, leading to dropped valves etc. And poor Poor figures

The Ko4 isn't ideal to be honest either, 260bhp is optomistic any more that one power run before they get hot. 250 IF everything is running correctly, and your running a suitable sized FMIC..

All the people claim good power form all the K03 3s and k04 turbos, they do do the power stated but not consistantly.. Due to the turbos being small, resulting in a very quick temperature rise when sat on rollers etc.

As my car is a daily driver i need Oem reliability, Ko4 is a good choice, but the correct mods are needed to make sure is worth it.. i.e Proper FMIC, TIP, correct bore DP, De-cat. Etc. Just bolting up and Ko4 with not much inthe way of other mods will be a recipe for dropped valves, and ****e power. 250bhp of consistant power then becomes achievable with the required reliably..

13. vwd40 Forum Member

What are you talking about??? I'm running a Ko3s on a std AGU lump. Mine shows anywhere from 228-239bhp dependant on rollers. Ther reason the power drops off after multiple runs on the rollers is because of heat soak. You simply can't blow the same amount of air into the rad and intercooler on the rollers as you can at 100mph on the track. Mine was mapped on a temperature controlled dyno and showed 236bhp consistantly. I run 21psi to 4,400rpm then back it off to 15psi to 6,500rpm. I do this to give the blower an easier time and to avoid over spinning it.

As for intake temps, I have seen many crap intercoolers on cars. I have one I made and the hottest it has ever got was running up Kesselchen at the 'Ring, ambient was 32oC intake was 47oC.

14. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

47 degress is fairly hot.. I can guarentee it wont have been 230 odd bhp with intake temps of 47 degress!! even at 15psi when the boost drops off (by design) the turbo is still boosting at more than twice its designed rate..

Just like any Ko4 wont be producing anywhere near 260bhp in the same instance..

15. vwd40 Forum Member

47oC is not hot at all for a turbo motor. Many run much higher

16. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Intake temperature is the most important factor of turbo tuning..

17. vwd40 Forum Member

Indeed, but you try finding a chipped Mk4 that's running anywhere near those temps?

18. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

This is why chip/remap tuning is crap (awaits barrage of abuse)..

19. vwd40 Forum Member

I wouldn't say crap, just not optimum.

Kofi Knnan hat on ;o)

20. nick20vt New Member

sorry roxylife but that is rubbish i ran a laguna on my ibiza with a k03s never saw temps over 35 even doing 4-5 runsand recovery was very good my 03s would run 230 all day long i now have jbs04 (k03s size turbo) and this runs 290+ now have the forge front mount but we worked out that the laguna has the same area size as the forge ic so could have stayed with that one instead of the 600 for the forge one

rr from my jbs04

[​IMG]