how to plug injector holes??

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by mk1 formel e, Dec 23, 2007.

1. mk1 formel e Forum Member

i'm currently getting parts together for a 2ltr 8v for my mk1 cabrio, i'm gonna run it on a set of bike carbs and was wondering what to do with the injector holes in the head? any ideas appriciated;)

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I had one recently, which believe it or not simply used 1 pence coins. On the basis it worked....

3. mk1. Forum Junkie

ime sure ive read that the gearbox filler/drain plugs fit,anybody like to confirm?

4. infinity

infinity Forum Member

you could always leave the injectors in there....? until you find a permanent fix

5. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Yep, I did that on K-Jet head running twin carbs

6. mk1 formel e Forum Member

thanks guys. if i had the injectors i probably would have just left em there, unfortunately i sold the whole lot as i didnt think i'd need em, i'm sure the 1p coin trick rings a bell somewhere in the back of my murky mind [:s] but i can't actually get to the head to check at the mo as it's buried under a whole pile of body work bits in the shed. there seems to be loads of people running cars on carbs (especially 16vs) i was hoping someone would have known for sure what does a nice job of blocking em up

7. roccodan Forum Member

Just to back up what has allready been said the the penny does work. I think penny trick was an old Tim Styles(sp?)one form back in t`day.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

in his book , he also deffo mentions gear box plugs , too .

9. POL

pol Forum Member

i got a machine shop to make some plugs for me.

how does the penny thing work? seem it a few time but never been able to figure it out how it's done.

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Take out the plastic injector inserts, drop in a penny, re-fit the inserts. Though I'd say with a little sealer between the penny and insert.

I prefer the plug method myself, just looks a bit more pro. Though if yr building an engine from scratch to run on carbs or t/b's, just use a carb head casting... no injector holes to start with.

11. diamond hell New Member

As the man says - spin out the injector collets, drop in yer 4p and wind 'em back down again.

It did my GTI head on a Weber carb for over two years.

If you're worrying about that you need to get out more - who the hell spends time looking down the back of your engine with a mirror?!

Here's my engine, just removed as I'm going 2E and injection:

[​IMG]

Shame of having four pennies in the injector ports just out of sight, I guess.....

12. mk1 formel e Forum Member

thanks fellas, i think i'll have a go at the penny idea first purely because if it only cocst 4p instead of buying plugs etc i'll give it a go :-))