My supercharged abf mk2 project.. finally on the road! (video inside)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Sc0rian, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

links:

where my project started:

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50469&st=580

my car log

http://car.sc0rian.com/carlog.php

the car website

http://car.sc0rian.com

As it stands, I'm currently installing a supercharger to the car. This was meant to be a simple job, but its end up turning into a 6 month nightmare due to bad planning. Oh well, we learn by our mistakes. Since the car hasn't worked for 3months, I've decided to make this site.

I bought my car for 1500 on ebay in 2005, it was only a 1.6, but was low mileage, (62,000) and only had one owner... it's my first car.. and still is..

Pics of my car when I first bought it:

http://car.sc0rian.com/Car photos/2005/Golf on day 1/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was young, I felt it would be a good idea to install a massive 6 by 9 magnex exhaust, which made loads of noise from halfords.. at the time it seemed a good idea....

Pics:
    [​IMG]

After a few months.. I decided to crash it into a BMW. Was 8am in the morning, roads were ultra wet and slippery, and this bmw decided to just STOP dead on a blind corner, waiting for a lorry. But instead of going into the back of him.. I kind of aimed to the left.. and only took out my wing and door..

Pics of crash:

[​IMG]

I then being young, found the cheapest quote I could to get it fixed.. I ended up paying 500quid. And the BMW driver claimed, which my insurance company has never forgiven me for..

After this crash, I felt it was time to put some coilovers on... so I bought some FK koingsports and fitted them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] >

This was far the best mod to my car.. Improved everything.. By this time that exhaust I bought was really starting to **** me off, so i went out and bought this twin 3" slash cut exhaust, which set me back 120quid(idiot).. but was a far nicer...

[​IMG]

Then I met up with this local company, who did VW body work.. I decided I wanted the euro look, as I was slowly getting into the dub scene. So I told him everything I wanted. I got a complete re-spray, apart from the roof, got my boot smoothed, Rear vw/golf badges smoothed, holes all the way down the side smooth, aerial, etc etc.. This cost me 1300quid.. In the time it took them to do this.. I got some new alloys..

Eta Betas:

[​IMG]

These cost me around 400quid.. looking back at it now, it was another big waste of money.. oh well, young and stupid..

The wheels had some white stuff on it.. So I gave it to this local wheel place, they acid dipped them or something, and ****ed the rims big time. Lost all my mirror finish...

Pics:
    [​IMG]

Anyway I thought oh for **** sakes.. and he wouldn't pay for them to be fixed.. At this time I asked the body shop who was doing my car what should I do?.. He suggested I should colour code them to the same colour as my car.. I though, ah yeah good idea.. Ended up being a **** idea, coz it was a cowboy job and I got charged 300quid for it.

Pics of car at body shop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Anyway when they finally finished my car I went to the body shop to pick up my car.. Here are some pics when I first picked it up: [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now at the time, I was like right, 2 grand out of pocket but have a awesome car... but didn't notice all the fooking orange peel they left on it.. As I didn't even know what orange peel was...

Anyway, I enjoyed it neverless, I went back and moan at them saying, seriously, wtf.. so they took it back and made it shiny... Also I really moaned about my rims.. So he said he'd re-do them..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

Right, so 2005 had gone, I'd spent 500quid on a bodge repair, 1300 quid on a orange peal body job, 400quid on rims, 300quid on painting rims... 250quid on a 2 stupid exhausts. I do think I may get the medal for wasting my money...

Apart from being raped by the body shop, I loved every moment of owning a dub. I don't regret any of it, I do believe its the best project and thing i've ever done...

I started to get quite obsessed in wanting things.. Like happich windows and stuff. I found some happich windows on ebay for 100quid..

Pics:

[​IMG]

So 2006 came, and I decided, god a 1.6 engine is really ****.

I wasn't sure on what to get, I finally settled my mind on a ABF engine.. I found this guy in wales who was breaking a Seat Ibiza ABF (2.0 16v). I got everything, brakes, engine, gearbox, ecu, loom etc etc for 500quid. I went and picked it up.

Pics of picking engine up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had NO clue even how a engine worked, but just got my head down, and started un-bolting stuff, right stab in the dark. Was kinda nervous.. Neverless didnt stop me..

[​IMG]

At this time the body shop took my car back to do it right..

This was the end result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this day, I still can't believe how SHINY my car looked. Really was a happy day.

back to engine :lol:

The engine was used and dirty, so i cleaned it up, and painted the engine block and brackets..

Pics:

[​IMG]

finished

[​IMG]

I couldn't do the engine conversion at my house due to no room. I had all summer to do the conversion as I just finished college. I came friends rubjonny, who gave me ALOT of guidance through my whole project and still now. Also my mate James..I was quite un-sure on doing some stuff. So I got John come down on the day and helped

I packed everything up, went to my mates place and took the 1.6 engine out.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr.rubjonny came, and my mate James helped to get the ABF engine in..

Pics

[​IMG]

Right.. so I had a abf engine in. all i had to do now was convert everything that was 1.6 on my car to GTI spec... god damn..

I installed a new fuel system, and all the wiring etc etc... this took me bout 3 weeks, every day, all day non stop.. it was really hard tbh.. But did learn alot.

The engine wouldn't start.. Couldn't work it out.. As i wasn't experence enough, I had a massive air leak.. Anyway this was fixed by a guy I met of ed38 called nando.. He came down and gave me a helping hand on it.

The next day I fixed the last air leak and.... IT STARTED!!!!

Pics of engine working:

[​IMG]

That night was my first drive home.. Oh I remember that day well...

I forgot to add, a few months back.. I started a local suffolk meet called dubsuffolk.com. This was to take over clubgtisuffolk.com which had died.

This is me turning up to the dubsuffolk meet for the first time with my abf:

[​IMG]

Anyway, now I had a working ABF.

Although.. This wasnt good enough. I was in a masssssssssssssssssive battle in wanting so much stuff.. The list was endless... I wanted corrado one touch loom, GTI rear beam, recaros, sound system, in car pc, eibach anti roll bars..etc etc etc...

So I spent months and months... infact a good percentage of a year looking for recaros, GTI rear beam loads of stuff.

and that was the pretty much the bulk of my 2006..

anyway on to 2007.....

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

Anyway I got my hands on a GTI rear beam, finally:

Then eibach anti roll bars..

[​IMG]

and a front eibach ARB

Then corrado one touch window loom, which has to be one the best mods EVER.... (credit goes to rubjonny for the idea)

I spent a good year looking for my perfect interitor. I found a perfect leather one, but the guy ended up selling it to someone else... cheaper. I got my hands on some rare recaros from aquablue..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was driving around on g60 steelies.. still waiting for my wheels from body shop.

By this time, I thought it would be a good idea to do my sound system before I supercharged my car. I've always wanted some Audioscape door pods. Also wanted the stealth look, the orignal plan wasn't to go "crazy" just have a nice oem+ system. I wanted a Audioscape sub box to go with pods. Which sits flush in my boot. With all this, I wanted a car pc to hold all my music, sat nav etc.

I worked in the Audioscape workshop for a few months doing my sound system. I also got sponosered by Chris from Linitix.com for carpc stuff.

In the background of all this, I was gathering bits to supercharge my ABF.

audi s2 inlet manifold

[​IMG]

s2 injectors

[​IMG]

My sexual new jetex exhuast system

[​IMG]

Audio build

I couldn't of done my boot build without the endless support from James at Audioscape

Also Chris from linitx for car computer.

The start of my audio build.. This build is seriously big and complex.. so much so its gonna be a struggle to get across how much I did over the summer.

This was the start of my sound install. I had no experence in the car audio so everything from now on was new.

I started by sound deadening my car. As I've never had a proper interior in my car it was easy to get started. I was going to go for the no rear seat plan, but decided against it after I got my recaro interior..

Pics:

Sound deadening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wiring

Then I laid the loads of cables around my car. For the amp, rear cross overs, car pc, leds etc etc etc...

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have missed quite a bit of wiring out.. it's EVERYWHERE.. my car is full of bloody wires.

Door pods

I installed my door pods to my door cards.

Pics:

[​IMG]

More padding...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a little mod, on the stock door cards there is normally a plastic bit that splits the front of the door pockets, but on Audioscape door pods this isn't the case. Normally people blank this off. But I cut the plastic out and flocked them.

[​IMG]

The finish product

[​IMG]

Sub build

I started the main build by doing the sub box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm running a 12" seas sub speaker, but I like being different, so i ran the sub facing backwords..

[​IMG]

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

This was the exact time I thought it was a good idea to trim my boot..

[​IMG]

Amp build

I started to make the amp build, this would show off the amp, and the 4 seas cross overs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the middle of making the amp panel, I added two logos into the amp build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making the amp build was quite hard.. as it was my first real challenge in making a panel. After I did all this. I had to add leds all the way around the amp and through the amp build and trim it!.

5. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

AMP build trimming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amp build LEDS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slight change..

Tilt and slide sunroof

Mid way through my build I went down to rubjonnys and we installed my tilt and slide sunroof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then went for a photoshoot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a earlier pic i got of the golf in the workshop

[​IMG]

Right back to my boot build.

The first job i did when getting back was trimming my rear seats.

[​IMG]

I then got onto my boot floor.

6. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

Boot Floor

I started my trimming the floor of my boot with some thick carpet..

[​IMG]

Once that was made.. a boot floor was needed....

[​IMG]

(I look evil with power tools)
    In the spare wheel I added a "VW" logo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok so to re-cap, I have sound deadened my car, installed my wiring, installed audioscape door pods and my new door cards and made a sub panel, amp panel and boot floor.

At this time I got my new head unit through.

[​IMG]

Car Pc

I used to be into watercooling computers. (
    Watercooled pc).. this was connected to a good friend Paul, who owns a watercooling business (
    Coolercases UK).

As the build was getting, bigger and bigger.. I decided.. **** it, would be really cool to be the first person in the audio scene to have a watercooled pc. So I got in contact with Paul, and we came up with some watercooling gear for a car pc.

I had some trouble mounting the waterblock..

Had to cut some fins off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started this by makin the pc panel... At the last moment i decided it was a good idea to add a 15.4" screen in. As working at audioscape, and having people with so much skill nothing was hard. Just takes LOADS of time.

The PC panel:

I then started to mount the screen, motherboard and everything in. And ofcourse the watercooling. I did one attempt but it was crap.. So I re-did it.. and this is the final out come:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then had to mount watercooling items, like raditor, motherboard etc etc.

Radiator:

[​IMG]

ok right... I had a few things to finish up but my boot build was done..

[​IMG]

The green water is only test water.. I have some blue water now. This is going to be changed.

There is still more to do. As I write this, I'm going to be working on my car over xmas and got to mount my screen into my votex console, mod the watercooling system some more, and finish it up.

I'd finished my dream boot build. It only took me about 200 hours, and 4 months. But not moaning. It was WAY bigger than first planned. Enjoyed every moment of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

Supercharging my ABF engine

When I finished the sound build, I was ready to supercharge my engine.

At this time I got my audi s2 inlet manifold, modded.. then got my eaton supercharger megasquirt, a custom loom

I lowered my compression ratio.. bodged this by using 2 head gaskets.. I planned to do loads of little jobs whilst my cylinder head was off like sort out wiring(under the dash and engine bay), clean engine bay, hydro clutch, mk4 shifter and a new exhaust system.

Taking my cylinder head off

[​IMG]

Cleaned the block up

[​IMG]

Sorting out car wiring loom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaning up my wiring:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THATS A BIT BETTER!!

Hydro Clutch

I had to do a little bit of modding..

[​IMG]

Then had to cut a hole in my bulk head for the MC

[​IMG]

Mk4 Shifter

To get the mk4 shifter to fit I had to do some modding to my tunnel.. just cut out the mk2 support brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaning up engine bay and other

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also painted my calipers gold

[​IMG]

I also got a brand new heat sheild for the center tunnel

[​IMG]

Got a sexual variable pulley from gwerks.

[​IMG]

My intercooler

[​IMG]

My supercharger:

[​IMG]

8. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

I've always had a problem with my PAS pipe, so i got a golf mk3 one..

[​IMG]

Got a new servo

[​IMG]

Also had to make the brackets for the supercharger, wire in the megasquirt, and all the other little jobs to supercharge my engine. (Boost pipes, bypass valve etc)

Then I got my modded audi s2 inlet manifold. I had it cut, and a flange welded so I could bolt my ABF throttle body on. The 5 cylinder was used for a pipe connection for the servo.

This was my car is golf+ last month

[​IMG]

ok im gonna post some posts to play catch up...

--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my electric sunroof motor

[​IMG]

sorting out my supercharger brackets mainly (with great thanks to jacob)

along with that, ive been sourcing exhaust parts, and bypass valves..

got my inlet manifold skimmed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hole for my air temp sensor..

[​IMG]

megasquirt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my bypass valve, to return the boost to the charger

[​IMG]

my blanking plate for my disp (thanks to JP)

spent a good part of this month installin brackets with jacob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this weekend was my first test fit (and oh my god it looks awesome)

[​IMG]

hmm little problem with my coolant flange

[​IMG]

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

thats about it for now..

today i found out my steering rack is fooked, and i need a new one... (got a brand new vw corrado 16v one now :) )

little update, i got myself a brand new genuine corrado PAS rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lined up the belt this week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

check out how tight my alternator is!!

[​IMG]

I got my boost pipes today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

150quid :(!!
    I got a late corrado steering rack.. and wasnt sure what UJ would fit, as the spline is different, but i ended up finding out that ANY mk3 uj fits!

went to scrap yard and got one today (how i found out):

[​IMG]

i got my rocker cover blasted:

[​IMG]

and painted it MATT black

[​IMG]

painted up my supercharger brackets

[​IMG]

my brand new vr rad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you wouldnt believe how much of a perfect fit it is!!

[​IMG]

its blooming massive!!

[​IMG]

I got a 1/2" metal plate made up today for my boost return valve..

The bolts are counter sunk so the bolts sit flush, and the by pass valve sits on top.

10. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

Very happy with the outcome.

[​IMG]

Also got braided fuel hoses all done

[​IMG]

new coolant flange for the top of the rad

[​IMG]

I thought this was quite funny.

Since I've spent "so" much at my local dealership, they gave me a Christmas thank you gift LOL

[​IMG]

cd case holder!

Bolted up alternator, supercharger and slam pannel.

Few issues

[​IMG]

alternator sticks out bit too much, which means i got to make the radiator sit further forward.

[​IMG]

got to make the boost pipe sit less "high" lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also offered up my boost pipes TB side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been workin on the car loads, as always, even worked on it over xmas day :|..

Got my custom coolant flange thanks to ^Neo^

[​IMG]

I think tried to mount the intercooler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see I had to cut the slam panel up a bit.. I spent ages trying to get it to fit, its just impossible. I had to move the rad "forward" 5mm so it missed the alternator, but i really couldnt get it to fit.. I ended up putting my 70amp alternator back on, this allowed the rad to sit in the oem position (JUST).

[​IMG]

I have got other problems though

[​IMG]

gonna be a tight pipe!

[​IMG]

bloody battery.

I've now made a new plan, due to things not fitting, and tons of issues i got with boost pipes, megasquirt etc etc.. I've decided to get my car back on the road with the old management, this way I can see how my hydrolic clutch is, my mk4 shifter, and get my dash/interior back together.

In a later date, I'll need to get someone to weld up some boost pipes, and find some poor soul to give me a hand with the megasquirt.

So for now, It's going to be running on digifan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to get digifan working, and after going to VW and spending 30quid on bolts n stuff, i decided it just isnt going to work.

I got the engine to start, but the immobiliser kept turning the engine off, I tried everything and couldn't get it going. I sat down and decided that I would wire up my megasquirt..

After the last few days, the megasquirt wiring is now all working.. With thanks to my mate Tim..

For the first time in 5months the car is sitting on its wheels, and is sitting on the drive way!!

my megasquirt wiring diagram.. although i am running a ford zetec coil pack.

a wiring diagram for reference.. (i didnt make my loom to this diagram, used it as reference)

[​IMG]

I had fun with getting my fuel pump to work, Tim had a great idea of pulling the guts out of the fuel relay, and wiring two pins in, these two pins went to a standard relay, and that earths out the relay on ign live, which actives the fuel pump.

[​IMG]

11. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

[​IMG]

How my wiring stands

bit of a mess, but it works, picture looks worse than it is, its all in order, just needs a bit of tiding up..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and and and finally!!

what i did today

finally got exhaust system on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

car out on drive way.. and starting to look more.. golf like

[​IMG]

Intercooler in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks all good....

what needs doing before i can start it.

Jobs:
    some reason my starter motor keeps locking up.. but the engine turns over fine, i believe its down the brass bit inside the gearbox.
    inlet manifold injector threads need fixing...

other jobs:

make wiring neater
    get seats/ dash bits back in
    Mount intercooler with screws
    Mount coilpack

and other small jobs..

wednesday im hopin is the day.

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Very nice, lots of hard work gone into it so far.

13. gillm

gillm ***** User

agreed thats is a very nice mk2 . top work mate

14. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Forum Member

holy c**p!!
    Thats sweet. Ive got the same engine in my mk3 (standard gti) and always thought about supercharging it, but not a clue as to where to start. This is such a imagination boost! Lol

All i need now is money ;)

Keep up the good work and all the detailed posts!!

15. altern8 Forum Junkie

good job seen it on e38

16. KEV

Kev Forum Member

As did I, sweet as bro. :clap:

Get some vids up when you have here running. What sort of power do you think she'll peek at?

17. Steve B Forum Junkie

nice mate as ive said on digital car looks sweet, wheels look awesome

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

a cracking thread mate. good skill

19. Admin Guest

great build thread, love the sens eof humour with loking back on parts and work you have bought and done, think we have all been there, never an easy/cheap/correct path to take when you start modding cars.....

20. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Top job! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Keep the updates coming!