eBay and morals????

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gareth83, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Put up my mk1 for sale on eBay and didn't expect it to receive as much interest as it has done.

The auction ends on Sunday and a guy from Ireland has put a 50 deposit on it this morning and will give me 1600 cash Friday morning. The guy has booked all his flights and ferries over here. I explained I wont end the auction until I receive the cash in hand which we both agreed is fair.

However, I've just checked the auction and it's up to 2050 although the highest bidder has a negative feedback of recently buying a car and not turning up.

I know I've agreed in principle to selling it early for 1650, but if I were to change my mind, where do I stand??

I could obviously refund him his 50 and maybe even give him the money for the ferry and plane ticket and I'd still be better off. Or once agreed is that how it should stand?

Opinions please? As I have 160 watchers, 4 days to go and have a feeling it might even reach the 2500 mark?? Which is 850 difference, a lot of money as you can imagine. [:s]

Cheers

2. Aphex Forum Junkie

As long as it's not Sparrow.. :lol:

3. Admin Guest

if it goes through and the guy collects at the final bid of ebay, fair enough, see if he turns up

if not you have a second buyer who is interested

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

the guy who has offered the 1650 to end early is coming Friday. The auction ends Sunday. So I'm 400 down as it is!!

5. GolfBryan Forum Member

Tough one. If you had agreed a price with someone and they have paid the deposit, I would say the right thing to do is to sell it to that person.

Its a difficult decision though.

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You made a deal with the guy.... don't go back on it.

7. golf2 Forum Member

I agree especially if he's already planned to travel etc..

Thats why i never end auctions early however tempting it is. If someone wants something enough they will keep bidding until it ends. I have found that in general people will only offer you an amount which they are confident is less than what the final sale price would have been.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  8. Aphex Forum Junkie

You shouldn't have agreed or you should have pulled the listing.

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

seconded

10. nealey Forum Junkie

You have accepted his price and he has paid a deposit. He is happy and you were happy

You have made a deal with this guy and he has obviously made a lot of effort on his part, dont go back on the deal now.

11. Admin Guest

12. altern8 Forum Junkie

dont be greedy if he turns up let him have it for the price you agreeed

13. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

No your not.

Your 1650 up.

Before your ebay aution went to 2050 i'm guessing you were happy with the 1650 offer. You should still be happy with it.

You struck a deal with this guy coming over, IMHO, whether this is through ebay or not, you morally should stick by this offer that you accepted.

Yes you might get more on Sunday, but then you might end up with no winning bidder turning up and negative feedback, and if it was me, a petrol bomb in your car after you wasted someones time and money flying from another country to see the car. I would be properly ****ed off if I'd been messed around. Think how you would feel.

14. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

You'll all kill me for this, but money talks, and I've also had it done to me myself befor anyone goes off on one.

Loose 400 to be a nice guy........come off it! lol

15. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

"Money doesn't talk, it swears"

Bob Dylan

16. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I have taken on board on what both you guys and my family have said.

Money does talk at the end of the day, but I was happy with the 1650, I suppose it's like Deal or No deal. You can't always beat the banker!

I intend to honour the price agreed, if he fails to turn up then obviously I will let the auction run till the end.

I was considering paying for his flights, deposit and throw an extra 50 his way for the inconvenience caused. Although as mentioned the winning bidder may never turn up anyway and I'll be stuck.

I think this is the best post and will always bear this in mind in the future:

17. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

The main reason this country is gong downthe ****ter imho.

Look after number one sod anyone else.......:clap: [xx(]

Whatever happened to someones word and a sense of honour/pride.

I know I have lost out on money by agreeing a cheaper price than I could have got in the long run. As well as selling things to friends for well below the asking price.

Does this worry me? No. I'm not running a business from it, and money doesn't make teh world go round dispite what people think.

What goes around comes around and if you stiff people, imo, the more your'll get stiffed yourself.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  18. sportline Forum Junkie

some people would stick to the word and sell at what youve agreed.

alot of people would stuff him and take the higher amount.

but its a gamble, you may not hear fro the ebay buyer.

but it comes to this.. which of the two types of people above do you want to be, and how would you like to be treated?

19. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

tbh the correct thing to do would have been take the listing down when you got his deposit.

if he fell through you have the money to relist it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.