Best oxygen/lambda sensor for carb?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by EZ_Pete, Mar 9, 2008.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I've got a new (genuine) down/front pipe for my Driver from 'the bay', as the old one is disintegrating at the join to the mid section. Before I fit it/get it fitted, I was thinking I might drill a hole and weld on a suitable fitting for a lambda sensor. I can just blank it off if I don't go ahead with the idea.

What I'm wondering though, is which type of sensor will work best in an open-loop context? I think some may be more prone than others to 'coking up'?

I can probably cobble together something simple electronics-wise to read the thing and give me some sort of display/readout, but I don't want to buy and fit one that only works for two weeks :lol: .

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you go for one, make sure you go for a universal bosch type sensor, not expensive and it will last! bought a no-name brand and it lasted all of a couple of weeks!

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah just got for a bosch one the no name ones are poo

heated would be best...they al(most)l use the same same boss so you dont have decide now...just bung it up or use a scrap on until your ready

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Thanks guys, just trying to organise the drilling/welding for the fitting. As luck would have it one of my workmates has a pal who works in an exhaust/tyre fitting place. Nipping down at lunchtime to grab a fitting off a scrap pipe. [:D] Should be done by the close of play today...

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

It's finally in! :o

[​IMG]

Harvested a threaded boss from a scrap exhaust, fettled it up and welded it into my shiny new downpipe (with considerable help from a workmate). Bought a fairly cheap but genuine Bosch 1-wire zirconia dude, and now the whole lot is in and just waiting to be wired up to my digital voltmeter display in the cabin. If the unheated sensor turns out to be no good, it's a piece of cake to put something better in now. [:D]

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

pete you may find that it will collect crap being at that angle, they like to be pointing downwards then it wont collect water droplets etc

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Which end downwards? The proby bit or the wire? Anyway, too late now! :lol:

8. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I was just going to say exactly the same thing Pete. It'll collect water like that :(

You *have* to mount them such that the tip is tilting down by at least ten degrees.

When I fitted my wideband Bosch lambda sensor to the 16V G60, I fitted the sensor in a similar sort of place not too far from the bulkhead (at the point where the four-branch comes together to the collector). To enable room for me to have the sensor tilting down, I cut a small aperture into the heatshield (the heatshield that runs down the tunnel, as can be seen in your photograph). So the back end of the sensor pokes into that opening in the heatshield.

I think that water collecting in the exhaust can be quite a frequent thing, especially if you do a short trip that doesn't fully heat the whole system up. On here somewhere is a thread about when I poured a pint of water out of the 16V's system when I took it off....!

Trev

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Surely every time it gets hot though, any water will evaporate out? The one in our Omega is horizontal I'm sure (albeit a heated one).

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Aye, I would have thought that these things must be tough against corrosion. Give it a go mate, it'll probably be fine. I'm going by the documentation that came with my sensor. I suppose one thing though is that if you start it up and it has water sitting in it, you may need to allow time for it to evaporate before expecting a reliable reading from it?

Is it a wideband sensor you have Pete?

11. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Nah, too tight to go wideband at this stage, and the 'tronics to run it would be trickier. I'm not expecting it to read much anyway during warm up.
    I can see how water could collect in the middle and back boxes of the exhaust but I wouldn't think much would loiter in that area. We'll see...:lol: