Mk2 16v - with ABF which engine mounts?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Stu, Apr 20, 2008.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

I'm having some bulkhead clearance issues with the track car me and a mate are building as we're using a four branch manifold. I know it won't give any real power increase over a standard ABF setup but it was already fitted to the car pre-engine swap and I don't have the standard exhaust bits knocking around so thought we'd use it. :)

Anyway, the car is an '88 E-reg Mk2 16v - which are the best engine mounts to use for this conversion?

The engine is in and running fine, and I did already 'modify' the bulkhead a little with a large hammer and angle grinder so there is plenty of clearance at idle, but when revved hard the engine rocks a bit and the manifold clonks on the bulkhead. I'm hoping replacing the engine mounts will assist and save any more bulkhead work if possible as the current mounts do seem a little past their best.

GSF list the following for the car - are these the best choice? Could do with the engine sitting as low as the mounts will allow whilst still using the standard Mk2 subframe if anyone knows which are the best mounts to do this.

Engine mount rear - 10139 - G2 16v up to 1/88 - 15.25
    Gearbox mount rear - 31146 - G2 16v up to 8/90 - 13.75
    Engine mount front - 10142A - G2 16v up to 7/88 - 12.00

The car seems to a newish front mount, it's one of those big round ones (will take a pic) so that might be alright to keep or should I go for a solid teeth rattler one like on my daily Mk2? :p

Any thoughts? Car is nearing MOT-able status if I can get this sorted!

Cheers
    Stu

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Oh, found a pic of during engine install where you can see front mount pictured...

[​IMG]

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Buy new mounts and use a washer or two to tilt the engine back, if you need it. Having said that, I run a solid front mount on my 2.0 16v.

There was a post on here a while ago by a guy who had modified the rear engine mount to drop the back of the ABF lump, and make it sit more level too.

On the 2nd page of this thread...

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141511&page=2&highlight=engine+mount

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers Mike - yes, I saw that thread a while ago whilst investigating installing the ABF into a Mk2, very clever solution by the poster called 'the race shop' - hope he doesn't mind me linking his photo here :)

[​IMG]

I may have to do that if new mounts and the current bulkhead modification doesn't do the trick.

Any more suggestions on which mounts are best for the job?

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Bump - any more ideas? [:D]

6. jamiehol Forum Member

Could always try running a mk3 subframe.

7. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

gsf daventry used to suply stealth racing with diesel engine mounts to uprate the mk2 (passat ones I think), might they do the job?

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

That's for the replies, just went for the set of new standard ones from GSF - will see if that sorts it, if not I'll look at more bulkhead surgery or modifying the rear mount as in that pic above. The front mount is the same one listed for the early Golf Mk2 and diesel models, seems sturdy enough for the job.

Jamie - Didn't want to change to a Mk3 subframe, seems a lot of work for a little bit of clearance... will probably regret not doing that from the start soon though! :lol: