inner/outer cambelt covers

Discussion in 'Engines' started by paultownsend, Jun 4, 2008.

1. paultownsend Forum Member

trying to complete the jigsaw that is my inner and outer cambelt covers for my recently completed agg 2.0 bottom end swop on my 91 golf gti

can anyone comfirm who has done the conversion what covers they used

many thanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Golfamily7 Forum Member

None!!!

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

did you use the pb head?

I used the AGG covers with 048 109 173D Can be seen here, used to fit with pb rocker cover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to I.a.n.b for the pics

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I used all the 2e covers and rocker cover on my 2e bottom end conversion:
    [​IMG]

5. paultownsend Forum Member

yes the pb head was used. so il get inner/outer covers and use that part number given for the inner plastic cover?

6. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

i didnt use any but that is due to laziness really as the covers are attached behind the crankshaft pulley etc

if you dont use them you will have to check the belt every now and then as crap gets flicked up around that area( well under the car)

7. rubjonny

if you use a PB rocker cover, then you need the plastic part number. If you use the alloy rocker cover like me you dont need the inner cover as its part of the rocker cover itself, generally a better design as the outer timing mark is more accurate than the one on a bent old plastic cover, new one wont be so bad though :)

using a pb cover makes it slightly easier to route the breather pipes, but personally I think the alloy cover is worth the effort, especially if you bother to clean it up unlike me :lol:

8. stradam Forum Member

If you use the alloy rocker cover, where does the ISV attach as I though this wast attatched to the PB cover.

Is there anything else you have to bodge or change to use the alloy cover on the pb head?

9. rubjonny

there is still the upper bolt hole on the manifold, or the lower bolt hole on the cover. they dont quite line up, but you can use the upper or lower hole to bolt on the bracket, whichever works best for your situation I think I ended up using the 2e ISV bracket thinking as it was a bit shorter. Oh and the 2e ISV works perfect on the PB engine, so worth grabbing a few o those off ventos/passats in your scrappy :)
    The only other thing I did was to switch the ISV and breather holes round is it lines up better, a few bits of plastic piping from the MK3 plus extra breather pipes help here!

I also used all the 2e alternator setup as you can see, plus I also used the metal coolant pipe & hoses off the 2e as well, to do this you need a 2e front flange, it has a funky sparkplug wire clip on it plus this is where the header tank attaches which makes it a bit neater. Block off the old header connection on the rad by chopping the hose down and screwing a bolt into it, secure with a jubilee. Heres a closeup of my breather/isv setup:

[​IMG]

10. paultownsend Forum Member

right i went to the scrappy today and lucky me when i found one of those ibizas with a boot, rear ended wich just hadnt been touched!

i got the cam cover, inner metal and upper plastic cam covers, as well as a few breather hoses

jonny, do you have the part number of the long plastic breather hose that attatches to the block up to the cam cover breather? or know where i can get my hands on one? as the one i got is truly poop!

and also, is it ok to switch the isv breather position from the big plastc hose to the tb? is it still before the throttle butterflys?

11. rubjonny

well mine was like that for ages, no problems whatsoever ;)

037 103 213 B - breather tube - 33.32

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  12. paultownsend Forum Member

13. rubjonny

that aint inc vat either :lol:

14. paultownsend Forum Member

john is that part number you gave me, the same as the pipe you have?
    i used a fixed ridgid plastic one and its snapped already!

yours seems to have a twin outlet for the head breather

15. rubjonny

I'm not entirely sure, they seem to change alot through the years. Mine is a combo of several rubber & plastic pipes robbed off MK3 Golf/Vento and Passat 2e motors, both breather and ISV hosing spliced together to make it work.
    The bit you see connected to the intake boot is part of a plastic ISV line chopped down, with the rubber hose bushed over the top and clamped down.

The ISV hose in the pic is just the std MK2 rubber hose cut where it kinks, ends up exactly the right shape to push onto the tbody hose :thumbup: