Exhaust cam on kr

Discussion in '16-valve' started by HacKage, Jun 18, 2008.

1. HacKage Forum Member

Oritey, was wondering if anyone is still doing the exhaust cam mod for the kr engine?AV been talking to Hotgolf and he said that he stopped doing it and he reckoned Stealth had stopped as well.I missed out on a set that was for sale the other day on here, but I am still interested in getting this done as tbh, I dont have the 500+ for schricks.
    Has anyone either got one that they dont want/use anymore n would'nt mind selling, know of anywhere still modding the cam, or what other cams there is other than schricks for my kr?

Cheers
    Taylor

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dont quote me on this but i think stealth racing can do it?

3. dave_dub86 Forum Member

all i did was cut the end off the exhaust cam where the pulley goes (otherwise it wont fit inside the head) then held the inlet cam next to the exhaust cam noted where the timing dot on the chainwheel was on the inlet cam compared to the exhaust cam, centre punched the dot onto the exhaust cam chainwheel and whacked it in. make sure youre seriously accurate with where you make the timing dot tho! put the kr exhaust cam in the inlet of my 9a and it definately made a difference goes like a rocket

4. HacKage Forum Member

How hard was it to cut through the cam?Cos by the way Hotgolf was talking about it, you need a special cutting blade and it aint really worth it.If its simple enough I will do it myself, but I've got a bad feeling about getting the timing notch right lol

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

the way he's done it was to just cut the cam, easyily done with a hacksaw or slitting saw, then dropped it back in on the original timing mark.
    The proper way to getting the timing bang on is to recut the keyway in the sprocket.
    I know people who have justchopped the cam, and all you gain is noise, and not alot else.

6. HacKage Forum Member

If I was to match up the timing mark with that of the inlet cam, would that not sort out the timing being out, or do i still need to do the keyway?

7. gillm

gillm ***** User

are you going to inters mate if so i could bring some cams up for you !

pm me as i have 2 sets i think

8. HacKage Forum Member

Nah man, I'm not going to Inters, just started a new job so cant take time off yet.Are they standard cams?Ideally I'm after a set of either uprated cams, or a set where the exhaust has already been modded

Taylor

9. gillm

gillm ***** User

they are std kr cams mate . not hard to mod and im sure there is a how to on here somewhere

10. HacKage Forum Member

Ive searched on here for as much info as I can on it, but I haven't seen a how to yet.If there was one, Id deffo be out to buy a set to give it a go.

11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Just get a set of abf cams, job done

12. HacKage Forum Member

What difference will abf cams make?Never heard of that one before for a kr, I always thought you put the kr cams in an abf as it was the kr cams with the more aggressive profile?Maybe I'm wrong.Have you got any more info on this sambo?

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need to fit the kr inlet cam to 6a/9a Audi/Corrado/Passat KE-Jet 2.0 16v as its a bit mild to stop it killing the cat. Zaust cam is the same as a KR one though. ABF cams are even better than the KR ones from what someone was saying in a thread a while back :thumbup:

14. HacKage Forum Member

So if i was to get a set of abf cams, you reckon it would give better benefits than a modded kr cam?Would i be able to use the timing marks on the abf cams or would i need to set up the timing?
    And just out of interest, does anyone have the duration and lift spec for both kr and abf?

Cheers

15. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Do a search, not long back someone posted all spec for abf,kr and some othe cams

Abf came on top

16. HacKage Forum Member

So can anyone verify totally that if i were to put in abf cams into my kr, it would be as good, if not better than a kr with a modded exhaust cam?

17. dave_dub86 Forum Member

from what i remember the abf and kr are all pretty much the same, but to get the most power the exhaust cam from either the abf or kr in the inlet would be best bet. it would be worth trying them yourself and seeing which you prefer, as the abf or kr inlet cam straight swap gives peak power slightly earlier so would be better if you prefer a less revvy engine only takes an hour or so to swap them
    heres some good info on how to swap if you dont already know - note the order of the cam caps!
    http://www.autotech.com/instructions/i109418.pdf

18. dave_dub86 Forum Member

19. marky123 Forum Member

thats really great info, i'm interested in this too. What sort of power gains to people think is possible from a standard kr 16v?