Innovate LM-1 Wideband Lambda Readings

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mike_H, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I bought one of these a couple of months ago, and finally got round to trying it out. I didn't try it for long, but here are the readings I was getting. I wanted to check if other people using this kit were getting similar sort of readings...

The car is a standard Scirocco Scala on KJet. No known problems with the car - runs well and returns high 30s MPG

1. Not connected to exhaust, calibrated. 20.5-20.6% o2.
    2. Car at idle - no load: 17-18:1 AFR
    3. Car in top gear, 40mph, steady speed on flat ground: 18-20:1 AFR
    4. Car accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd gear, full throttle: 13.1-13.2:1 AFR

Any comments?

2. Tomo IOW Forum Member

be good to know how this wires up as ive just orderd a innovate kit db in blue, is it a straight forward fitment ?

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I don't know if you've got the same thing as me, but the quickstart guide was easy to follow - took a total of about 5 minutes to get it going.

4. bens_cab Forum Junkie

your reading look about right there

i have an lc-1 which is hard wired good for knowing if your going lean i can hit 10 to 11 afr on full boost lol 30mpg i wish

5. Tomo IOW Forum Member

so i havnt bought the wrong kit, being lc-1 , as mike h is lm-1 ?,

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

You can wire an LC-1 up to your computer, to a gauge, or to some ECU's. An LM-1 comes with a portable meter, and is handy for swapping between cars. I expect it's the same sensor and electronics in the end.

7. Tomo IOW Forum Member

oh right cool , i want it to be wired to megasquirt and also send a signal to the in car gauge,, still getting my head round the AFR's,well confusing, so at full boost and tick over and threw out the rev range are you trying to achive , 14.7 ?

lean mixture , when tick over {hot}

, rich mixture, { cold start tick over }

rich when boosting ,

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm still learning on this stuff. I've plans to do a megasquirt conversion, which is why I bought the LM-1 in the first place, and I wanted to check if it was working before the warranty ran out.

On an MS controlled road car I'd be looking to get around 14:1 under load. I reckon the KJet ignition and fuelling probably isn't able to go that lean without pinking problems.

9. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Mike H - your readings are pretty good.
    A quick lesson - a lower number is rich, high number is lean.
    At light throttle / cruising along the motorway you can run quite lean (15:1 to 17:1).
    Under hard accel you run rich (apx. 13.5:1 NA, 12.5:1 turbo)
    If you go leaner than 17:1 the car will start to surge - feels like you are coming on and off the throttle.
    If you go richer under load you are just wasting fuel! The hardest part is tuning the areas in between full throttle and idle. Mike - your car seems quite happy in the 20's under light load, you may find it needs to be a bit richer using ms.

10. paul_c Forum Member

Ben - I'd say you're too rich and losing power.

11. bertelli_1 Forum Member

There are loads of variables & lots of tuners will use slightly different figures to what I suggested. It isn't unusual to see cars in the 10's under load - more fuel cools the cylinders and helps resist detonation. However some people will say this also washes oil off the cylinder walls, wears the engine and dilutes the oil with fuel. Who's advice do you listen to??

12. bens_cab Forum Junkie

mine was mapped by toyotec so im not sure what he mapped it to i know we spent a bit of time on the m40 doing the cruise afrs and tbh its as good as any other 1.8 on the mpg front