fuel pipe route

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by phil88, Aug 12, 2008.

1. phil88 Forum Member

im looking to be putting my carbs on my mk2 16v soon and was wondering what happens to all the fuel pump and regulator under the car, can i simply pull them out and run a single pipe from the fuel tank to my facet pump, to the filter to the carbs?

cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

gotta take off the main pump at least, will throw out far too much fuel for carbs to handle as you say gotta fit a facet pump and plumb that in. since the ends of the 16v lines have threaded unions on prob not gonna be any good to you, MK2 8v digifant lines will work better.

3. phil88 Forum Member

i was just thinking of buying new hose from here:

http://www.fastroadcars.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=10

then pulling all this out:

[​IMG]

then running the pipe from the fuel tank here, and blocking off the return here too:

[​IMG]

and run that pipe to the facet, reg and engine?

would this work?

sorry for all the questions

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

personally I'd keep a return to the tank, but some run without it. You might drown the carbs otherwise, but it depends how much fuel the carbs use vs how much the facet pump will be supplying, generally you use an fpr to send the excess back to the tank.

the only worry I would have about rubber hose is damage from stones, the overbraid stuff would sort that though! If it was me I'd get a digifant feed pipe and a carby return pipe, put the facet where the main pump is and hook it up to the lift pump with the digi feed lines and run the carby fuel line right back to the tank. Then in the bay hook it up with an FPR :)

5. phil88 Forum Member

thanks for your help, ill put some pictures up on here when its done

6. Drew21 Forum Member

I've got a pair of mk2 fuel lines as fitted to carb cars if you want them. I took them from a scrap GL to replace my damaged one but never got around to fitting them. Yours for postage.

the pump will be a positive displacement pump which means that a fixed amount of fuel is pumped, if you don't fit a return line then I would think you'll be over-fuelling most of the time

I think you have an in tank pump too, you can probs just turn the power off for this though