Turbo on a 24v V6

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by jayvr6uk, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jayvr6uk Forum Member

Hi all deciding whether to turbo my VR6 24v or not! im pretty new to forced induction so jus wanted any help as to which parts i need! I have purchased a turbo manifold which is a T3 fitment so obviously need a T3 turbo but which one? searched on ebay and you can get new T3 turbos for 200 squid but does this sound right? Only wanting 300-350 bhp tops! What other bits do i need apart from manifold and turbo? any help would be greatly apprieciated!

2. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Manifold - which you have
    Turbo - T3/T4 type turbo will be fine. Will give circa 450 if you up the boost. 300 - 350 will be easy for it.
    WasteGate
    Intercooler
    Oil feed piping
    Oil drain pipe and custom sump
    A way of lowering compression (Spacer gasket or turbo pistons)
    Larger injectors
    Perhaps uprated fuel pump
    Boost controler
    Custom Fab'd Downpipe
    Custom Fab'd Boost pipes
    Lots of silicone hose
    Probably an external oil cooler
    LSD (if you don;t already. Np piont upping the power if you can't get it to the floor.
    Turbo chip for ECU (or aftermarket ECU)
    Possibly uprated clutch
    and probably another load of things I can't think of right now :)

3. jayvr6uk Forum Member

4. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

That turbo looks mightly similar to the one I have put on a 12V VR. Can't fully remember the specs of the one I used off the top of my head though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You have to be a little carefull with buing Garrett-y looking turbos though. When we got that one, there were alot of cheap Chinese copies knocking about with questions over their reliability.

Ours was a genuine Garrett one (costs a bit more, but comes with Garrett warrenty etc) where as that one has no mention of who made the turbo etc, and that exhaust outlet looks...well... a bit weird if you ask me. You'd have to ask yourself where you would get the flange for the downpipe, or if you can just make that up yourself?

And I think this link helps explain the A/R ratio:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/poweradders/628-turbo-size-r-trim.html

5. jayvr6uk Forum Member

Can i ask how much the garret was and where you got it from? be better to have a garret for peace of mind and reliability!

6. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

you can run about 5-6psi without a spacer just to get it running about, drop in a spacer later for about 12-14psi safe but i`d use ARP bolts, forged bottom end for anything above 14psi imo

7. tony_d Forum Member

Not sure on the compression ratio on the 24v model.

But you can run 8-9psi with the stock compression on a vr6 (intercooled or charge-cooled), not sure without a cooling source thou.

8. powernut Forum Member

hi bud i run one so i know this infos right ,,,, i know ,because ive a 12v vr6 ,and currantly on with a later mk4 24v and both engines are the same spec bottom end ,witch u can run 8psi on stock and with a headspacer anything up to 25psi ,as im runing a holset turbo witch can handle 44psi ,but would blow the engine ,the stock block dosent need rods,bolts,or uprattted pistons long as uve the right feuling and afr and right spark plugs ,u wont have a problem ,the only reason i had to turn my boost down was because the std vr6 gearbox fails ,3rd gear will go and the diff bearings will collaspe , safe limit is 300 to 350bhp, thats why a lot up ratt to the later 02m gearbox either from the golf tdi 5spd or the golf 4motion 6speed which will handle 500bhp with ease,regards turbos ,u need a safe turbo ,meaning,if you go for a .84 hotside witch will spool nicely at 3k and will pull clean to 7000rpm if u have a stand alone or remap ,cold side theres a fair few sizes u can use dont forget ,anything looks tempting on ebay but its either a cheep copy rebuild ,which do work ,,for a while ,but ,i wouldnt recomemed any turbo from xs perforamce what a load of cheep ****ee ,they are,,
    i have a turbo here which is a 1.00 hot side ,but t3 fiting with 3inch vband,to4e ar60 cold side perfect for any vr6 from 300 /400bhp and would kill any stock vr6 gearbox unlike the any turbo which has a small hot side ,ie ,.50 boost will come in too soon ,rag ur wheels and rip the box to bits ,,any ar70/ar 84/ t4 is spot on ,,,,
    just thought this may be of help to a few on here ,,,,ps i do have a nice spare o2m 6speed with transfor too lol

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  9. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

This man speaks the truth IMO...

10. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

11. powernut Forum Member

hi jay couple of turbo pics for you as well as the mk4 24v v6 2.8 head spacer
    this is my turbo for the vr6 easyly pushers from 350plus,, comes in at 3000rpm and away u go
    the bigger one ive just bought to make fit on mi caddy lol
    [​IMG]
    and couple of the turbo ,,3inch outlet,,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is my new one ,weights a ton lol 4inch in 4inch outlet
    [​IMG]:lol:
    ive also found some extrenal wategates ,but unsure which route ur useing,,

12. jayvr6uk Forum Member

Sweet! that 4 inch inlet/outlet looks massive lol! no wonder you are having issues with clearance! What make is the smaller one? Which would be the best route to go? im a complete newbie to turbo power!

13. powernut Forum Member

HI PAL ,DEPENDS ON WHAT U NEED ,STREET OR TRACK POWER lol, id personly use a t3 flange 1.00 /or t4 ,with a .84 hot side ,,both will spool from 3000rpm ideal for road use like the one i pictured ,the biger one at the side is laggy ,but when it dose spool ,its good track gains,,,

14. powernut Forum Member

ps just dropped on a hot side t4 houseing for the turbo above with the shiny houseing ,,spools from 3000rpm upwards ,,,,save that gearbox too,,