megasquirt peeps? advice on o2 signal cable ?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by pigbladder, Sep 9, 2008.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

im looking to replace the o2 signal wire on my g60...the orig wire is some stuff sheilded in like tin foil

i wondered whats the best stuff for replacement?

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Steve, how many cores does the original have? I cannot remember. I am guessing it's a four or five-core shielded cable.

The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that the outer screen should only be connected to chassis at one end (engine or ECU) to avoid ground loop issues.

Should be simple to find something suitable at somewhere like Maplin but then again you ought to get some automotive grade cable. Try Vehicle Wiring Products, maybe?

3. Trev16v

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/multicorecable.php

Edit: Bugger, those aren't screened.

I'd phone them.

Get old cable and inspect it for number of cores (i.e. signal wires in addition to the screen) and then find a suitable replacement in the likes of RS, Farnell, Maplin. Consider also getting a length of cable sleeving for it as well, like the stuff that Vehicle Wiring Products sell.

Presumably you need something tough and heat-resistant. I doubt ordinary hi-fi grade multicore coax will last long near an exhaust!

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

cores? i was of the opinon it was single core wire , with an extra sheath then foil around that?

dont really wana disturb it too much until i have the replacement in hand

5. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

6. Trev16v

Oh nice one - never heard of them before. Could be a good alternative to VWP :)

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

what wire have you used then trev?

anyone else made a harness up for megasquirt etc