rev counter over-reading

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mikey C, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mikey C Forum Member

strange problem on the mk1, the rev counter over reads by quite a bit.

its wired direct to the coil (internal connection on the ABF coil/transistor thing) so thats right, just a little strange that it would over read!?

anyone else had this problem, is it a simple fix? i'd prefer to keep the cars original clocks.

Mike

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm, was it ok on the old coil then? you can use a mk2 round coil with the abf, that might work a bit better.

3. Mikey C Forum Member

bump, i have now just rewired the rev counter with megasquirt and it does exactly the same thing

over reads by about 50%

it is definately the clocks, any thing i can check/replace before i have to change the whole thing. They are VDO.

Mike

as an aside, i just hooked up the launch control and flat shift on the meqasquirt....... its awesome!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

try the mfa secret menu, there is a how2 in the faq section somewhere. if it reads high there too then either the signal is wrong or the clocks are buggered. can you get hold of a spare set of mk1 golf/mk2 polo rev counter clocks? if you take the dash under tray off you can get to the bottom plug, swap this into the spare set & try.