1.8T ECU & Loom options

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by mojoswaptops, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mojoswaptops Forum Member

Looking into a QPeng loom / ECU package, appears to offer a well priced package for a MK1 project.

However there seems to be a lot of aftermarket support for other ECU choices, third parties out these that will do a loom for 300-400 too so not really sure as yet.

Cold start essential as is a good well balanced map, given QP's experience they still the one to go for?

2. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

I found my qpeng map was well out and also my loom had a few problems like poor connections and also the tacho wire wasn't terminated in the ecu plug. On the other hand, service is great and got the problems sorted pretty fast.

If I needed to do another swap I'd make my own loom though, especially if I had the existing 1.8t loom to modify. It's not untill I got it back and realised I could of saved myself 200 for just chopping and changing a few cables aroud.

I also found that mapping and support locally (south west) for the mbe ecu was quite limited but having said that if you get the laptop lead and software and a wideband lambada it was pretty easy to get the grips of.

3. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Well I can't speak highly enough of the guys at www.emeraldm3d.com - their support is fantastic (even at 8pm!) and the ECU comes with 2 x 1.8T maps out of the box.

4. mojoswaptops Forum Member

Do they offer a loom service I wonder, how are they priced?

Cheers

5. mojoswaptops Forum Member

Noted, how is your cold start?

6. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

got no probs with that tbh.

do you have the original 1.8t loom? its surprisingly easy to mod to work with emerald or qpeng if you have a little basic knowledge.

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

or just PM andyout on here and send him your OEM ECU and loom.

8. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Their pricing is on their web site. The ECU is 580 + VAT. I run an adapted loom.

9. mojoswaptops Forum Member

Ta, works out about the same then as QPeng, perhaps with the advantage of great mapping availability from tuners, not seen too many MBE mappers tbh.

DTA has strong support but again I want a good all round map and that would cost more than a quick 1-2 hour session to achieve, a tried and tested map being the ideal.

Stock ECU? - Do not have an engine / ecu as yet but building a built bottom end and piecing together the bits needed, still looking for AGU head.

Not sure if I should keep the stock pistons and do scat rods, 200... a steal and seemingly the stock pistons up to my HP goals at around 350whp with good spool

10. Chapman Forum Member

He does immobiliser defeats?

11. AndyOut Forum Member

Yes I can!:thumbup:

12. mojoswaptops Forum Member

If I had the standard ECU and loom can you mod to work in my MK1... ?

Assume at this point inwards I can have the ign advance / injector duty etc tweaked on the standard map ? Sounds a good win but need to retain the AFM as opposed to MAP?

13. AndyOut Forum Member

Hi can modify the 1.8t loom to "plug and play" into the Mk1 no probs, Just need to send me the 20v loom and ecu as well as your original Mk1 loom!....Keep the original MAF and everthing will work 100%!:clap: :thumbup:

14. wtdvwg40 Forum Member

im running around 350bhp from my 1.8t agu in my mk2 gti. and i stuck with the std loom and ecu and it starts first time every time;) just send your ecu to jabbasport and for 250 they will remove the imobilser and load you a map thats close to what u need for that power. im even in the prosess of fitting the mk4 clocks so EVERTHING will work like it did in the mk4:)

15. mojoswaptops Forum Member

Impressive, begs the question however a map derived from an assumption around a cars unique settings concerns me, the mapping of any car should be conducted on the actual car.. having said that the stock ecu will accomodate ign advance / retarding, knock detection and still retain the MAF so best or driveability to be sure.

I wonder with GT28/GT30 and larger injectors how it would cope.

Need to understand this in more detail - if I presented a spec inc larger fuel pump, injectors, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, no decat etc can the stock ECU still be used and who could map it for me.. ?

Appreciate for moderate levels of tune the stock ECU will suffice but where is the cutoff I wonder

16. jc.. Forum Member

what block do you have?
    check it has 20mm piston pins as I don't think Scat do 19mm.
    You can get Integrated Engineering 19mm for less than Scat.
    Drop Bob Q a mail at QED Engineering in the States. $359 for scats, less for IE
    exchange rate is pants for that right now, I did all my shopping at $2.09:1!

17. mojoswaptops Forum Member

AGU block and toying with the idea of retaining stock pistons, on the vortex many have run these to big power, assuming fuel and map sounds good.

Scat 20mm are indeed available: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCAT...177QQhashZitem120308193796QQitemZ120308193796

Having said that once I split the block I'll decide, as yet unkown used engine thus no idea how bad things are, might have taken out and go for lager pistons.

18. jc.. Forum Member

yes Scat do 20mm, they are all 20mm.
    but I suspect your pistons may be 19mm

19. jc.. Forum Member

20. mojoswaptops Forum Member

AGU 1999 Pistons would be 20mm would they not?

Confused.