What to do? Sounds tinny

Discussion in 'ICE' started by lostkat, Nov 15, 2008.

1. lostkat

lostkat Paid Member Paid Member

When my HU (Pioneer) was in my 200SX with its standard 8 yr old speakers, it sounded absolutely fantastic. However, now it's in my Mk2 it sounds unbelievably tinny, even with a new set of rear 6x4 speakers. I've adjusted the stereo as much as I can, but it still sounds like the trebble is turned up full. It's awful!

I don't have speakers in my doors and don't want to change that, as I want the interior to remain original. I was just wondering what I could fit to get the best out of my system? I know that it'll never be incredible if I'm not fitting door speakers, but surely I must be able to improve it.

The dash speakers definitely need replacing. Which reasonably-priced ones would people recommend? I've read a few posts, but I can't actually find any of the speakers mentioned for sale.

Would an amp/sub improve things at all? I'm not after perfection, so I don't want to spend a fortune. It'd just be nice to listen to a track without my ears bleeding. I'm not a dance nut, so tonnes of bass isn't important either.

Any suggestions?

[edit]
    Would these be any good? I know there's an issue with mounting depth and I'm not sure if 1 7/16" is shallow enough. I have 6x4 JBL GTO's in the back.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. danTbone Forum Member

you can get door pockets with speakers holes in them .originally made by vw for the mrk2 golf .
    then you can have some in the doors .put some dissent speakers in or the best you can afford .
    if you want a lot louder go for some component speakers and an amp the same make .

3. thegave Forum Member

Is there a guide to getting wiring to the door pockets if your mk2 doesn't come with door speakers as standard?

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I used the original dash speaker wires.

I extended them down to the doors, and fitted standard grilles, with some Alpine 13cm co-axials.

Straight fit, and you`d never know the car came without. :thumbup:

5. thegave Forum Member

What if you wanted to fit tweeters in the dash then?

Hmm.... damnit. Just bought a pair of replacement dash speakers... =\

6. StuMc

Since I`m using co-axials I don`t really need the dash tweeters, but if you wanted both then you could just splice into the wires, to feed door speakers.

7. lostkat

Oops, didn't see the reply to my post here. Sorry!

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't want to change the door cards even for the VW ones as I want to keep the originals with their original fabric trim. I guess I just need to invest in some decent front speakers and get an amp to help them out a bit.

8. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

youll never get a great deal of bass out of 6x4s, the reason why it it sounds like the trebbles whacked up and there is no mid range could be that you have the polarity mismatched on the rears? try swapping the wires round on one of the speakers and see if it improves, if the wires are the wrong way around to the other speaker the cone will be moving backwards when the other is moving out, canceling the other speaker out. Its always been the reason when that has ever happened to me with a pair of subs/speakers that have no bass, worth a try.

I actualy have standard small speakers in my mk2 with a single 10" sub and amp, adding the sub greatly improves things if you filter out the bass that goes to the car speakers and just have them playing the trebble/mids, as they cant handle a lot of bass before they start farting, but play the rest of the range quite well.

9. StuMc

You don`t need to swap the whole doorcard or even the whole door pocket.

I`m guessing you have the little hinged cubbyhole where a speaker would normally be?

This just pulls off, and a standard speaker mount/grille clips in it`s place. It is then screwed secure with one screw at the bottom. There`s even a screwhole for it there already...;) :thumbup:

10. lostkat

No, doors are as below:

[​IMG]

So could I put speakers in without changing the door cards? I've also heard that the cards are held in with flimsy clips, so the weight of a speaker wouldn't help matters.

Advice/experience would be greatly appreciated :)

Also, thanks for the advice Golf Nut Pete. Will have a look at subs/amps

11. danTbone Forum Member

12. thegave Forum Member

No her door pockets look funny, they don't have the pull out cubby hole...

But that whole pocket strip can just be popped off and replaced with one that already has speakers/holes/grilles. Unless that's what you wanted to avoid in the first place....

13. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

The door bin options are all interchangeable screwed into the back of the door card.

I think the best door bin setup is component re-using the old front speaker frames to hold the tweeters. I fitted a basic set of JBL GTO 505CE 35 at the time, its missing tweeter adjustment, but a big improvement.

14. lostkat

Holy thread revival Batman :) First off, thanks to all the people who have supplied advice and info.

I got an Infinity 12" sub for Christmas and have an amp to go with it, so I've decided that I'll do what's been suggested above and buy the different door pockets to put my front speakers in. Then I'll get some tweeters to stick in the dash where the 3.5" speakers currently are.

What I didn't want to do was have to replace the door cards or start cutting bits off my pretty mint interior. I don't have an issue with straight swaps though as it means I can keep the door cards.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the pockets and speaker inserts? Can I get them from GSF or EuroCarParts? Any idea how much they cost?

15. NEO

neo Forum Member

I have the same problem with my mk golf the sub sounds lovely but the speakers and they are the jbl gto's 4x6 are crap at given any decent sound! i think this maybe due to the fact that the doors and the whole car is not good at keeping in any sound. so i am going to dynomat most of the car to see what difference it makes.

16. danTbone Forum Member

yeh dynomat will help, but quality speakers, headunit , amps, spend money in the right places and you will benefit from it.

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

In mine I have decent JBL dash speakers, cant recal the size but they're slightly too big for the original holes so needed a wee bit of trimming, but all covered up when the covers are in place. I then purchased a very good quality MDF stealth shelf, it looks exactly like the original one :thumbup:
    To this I fitted a pair of good Pioneer 6x9s. Simple, effective and everything still looks std. I didnt fit door speakers because I like my wee door bins for random spares storage :lol:
    I didn't want a bass box either as again this would take away from the std feel of the boot, that and it would reduce the load space! The sound is very good for a 4 speaker system, does me just fine. Oh and my HU is a Sony MP40, so nothing special there either.

18. thegave Forum Member

Kat, sometimes speaker pods pop up on fleabay. Have a nosey around there first with phrases like "Golf MK2 speaker pod" or other equally original, imaginative terms.

I have Rockford Fosgate (sp?) 3.5"s in the dash and they actually sound fairly nice. All mid-high range sure but crisper than new linen at the Ritz.