vr6 no spark,or ecu dianostics read out

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by baker57, Nov 18, 2008.

1. baker57 Forum Member

hi all, once again i need help still havent got this dam vr to spark!! (odb2 1996)

so far i have power at

pin 23 on ecu red/blue wire= fine!

pin 54 batt += fine

pin 38 + with ignition on?= fine

55, 56, 1, 7 batt -?=fine

fuel pump runs but still no spark.

on dianostics i can read the immobiliser, air bag and abs unit but not the ecu!!

PLEASE ANYONE GOT ANY HELP!!![:^(]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what ecu relay have you got in it

3. baker57 Forum Member

HI, mate how are you? as you can see i still aint got the dam thing to spark[:^(] .

relay 109 i have, its been tested! fine even clicks on and off when i remove relay or turn ignition on/off. I dont no what to do next all iv done is put the engine into another golf 8v mark 3. [:s] [:s]

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

do you have voltage at the MAF or injectors? if you don't the ECU is still off or dead.

5. rubjonny

ok, i think thats the right one!
    ok the pins you mention above are all fine, and since ecu relay clicks and pump primes the ecu is getting power at least, have you checked the coil itself gets 12v with ign on the black wire?

The grey/white wire from pin 43 is ecu diagnostics connector, make sure thats hooked up to pin 7 on your OBD2 plug, and there should also be a yellow wire to pin 21, make sure thats hooked up to pin 15 of the OBD2 port.
    You should have a diagnostics plug jumper above fusebox to join the grey/white wires from the ECU, ABS unit & airbag module to pin 7 on OBD port, and link the yel wires from ECU & transmission module to pin 15 on OBD2.

MAF & injectors should have power via the red/blue wire from the relay, if pin 23 has power then the relay is powering up and the wiring to ECU is ok at least, as said check the inj and maf to make sure power is getting that far?

6. baker57 Forum Member

HI, yep i have power at injectors and maf, if i leave the ignition on and plug and unplug coil pack power wire plug i get spark, only when i plug and unplug, but no spark on engine turnover

7. baker57 Forum Member

Is there anyway i can bypasS the ecu engine dianostics wires to try and get the fault codes???

8. rubjonny

no, you need the ecu diagnostics wire to read the ecu diagnostics funily enough :lol:
    you could chop the wire near the ecu and splice in your own wire, but check the issue isnt elsewhere 1st. step 1 would be to check both ends of the grey/white wire from ecu for continuity!

9. baker57 Forum Member

hi yep iv done that and all is fine, its two wires for ecu diagnostics one on ecu pin 65 i think

10. rubjonny

no its 43 for grey/white, and 21 for nthe yellow, as I saidf above. if you're pluggin into pin 65 then that might be why :lol:
    65 is the speed sensor wire :)

11. infinity

infinity Forum Member

are you getting an rpm signal from the crank sensor?

12. baker57 Forum Member

hi yeah sorry! i got confused i did mean 43 and 21, wire 43 goes to transponder wire plug, and pin 21 wire goes in to a bin on plug F,G1 OR G2. ???????

13. baker57 Forum Member

HI, yeah all is ok, iv tested hall sensor too and maff and coilpack......dam vr[:x]

14. rubjonny

21 should run to the diagnostics plug as well, not the fusebox

15. baker57 Forum Member

ok, emm iv tryd continuity! from that wire to diagnostics plug and its fine. not sure witch wire it went to.

16. rubjonny

i think you need to go back and have another look! check from the pins on the ecu socket to the yellow and grey white terminals on the actual OBD2 port, to make sure 100% there is a good connection from ECU right to the OBD port.

17. baker57 Forum Member

[:D] how bout i run a wire from pin 21 on ecu to the diagnostics connector block and leave pin 43 connected to transponder all i want is a dammm! ecu read out....., i think its soon time for the match and petrol can

18. baker57 Forum Member

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!! IM AT WORK AND MY BOSS IS GIVING ME THE EYE!!! SO I THINK I BETTER GET BACK TO WORK!....... il have a good look at the diagnostics tonight and let you no tomorrow how i got on.... THANKS AGAIN:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: [:D]

19. baker57 Forum Member

WAKEY WAKEY!!!! GOOD MORNING...LOL

OK.... last night i had a good look at the diagnostics, what i have is pin 43 (g/w wire) of ecu goes to a white plug (g/w) wire thats comes from transponder box.

Then theres a other w/b wire that comes from transponder and plugs into data link connector (top of fusebox). there is 3 wires all tierd in to this connector g/w airbag, g/w a.b.s, g/w wire this goes to pin 7 of obd2 port.

Next there is a white plug with two wires to it. a yellow wire and g/w wire the yellow wire goes to pin 15 of obd2 port. i think the other wire g/w goes to transmission module. pin 21 wire on ecu is blue/white on mine[:s] this wire only goes to one of the G plugs i checked this for continuity to pin 15 of obd2 port......all seems fine!

I double check! WIRES! last night plugd in my vag tool and still cud not get to read ecu engine diaganostics!

I can still read abs/brakes,immob,and airbag but still not the ecu.....
    on the immob i got fault code 00750..lamp open/short circuit to earth??

tel me if im wrong.....all i need is plug F,G1,G2,S, + AND -... THIS SUD START THE THING!? WHERE THE F HAS THE SPARK GONE.....I AM GOIN MAD!!! ERRRRR[:x] [:x] [:x]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  20. rubjonny

ok, pull the grey/white wire from ecu and plug it straight into the vagcom port pin 7, disconnect everything else. if you still cant read the ecu then it sounds like it might be dead!