Time for a re-vamp...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by StuMc, Nov 28, 2008.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Right, I`m fed up with my car being unreliable of late, with the clutch deciding to seize on, being the straw that broke the camel`s back...[><]

I absolutely detest removing the gearbox, and having only just done the clutch a couple of months ago, decided that it may in fact be easier to remove the engine and `box together...however...

The cooling system is on it`s a*se (may in fact be a split HG/cracked head), so there would be not point doing nothing with the engine, but`s there`s no point spending on a tired old 8v, when the same money could used to much better effect...

500 in GSF bagged this little bundle of goodies...

[​IMG]

...should give some clue as to the direction I`m taking. ;) (The rad and two of the mounts are wrong, but I swapped them today for the right ones.)

In the meantime I`ll be smoking about in this little beauty...

[​IMG]

...1.4 CL 6n Polo. Powerhouse it ain`t...:lol:

Work begins in earnest tomorrow, and I`ve set a time scale of 3 weeks max.

I`ll be updating the thread as the work is done.

Will it all go to plan? Probably not!...[:$] :lol:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. MUSH Forum Member

Nice one, forced induction is the way. How much is a new sprinter intercooler?

3. StuMc

From GSF, it was something like 108 + VAT, but I get a nice tasty discount so was a bit cheaper. I don`t how much exactly since I didn`t bother looking at the invoice...

Even at the full price it`s on a par with what you`ll pay from ebay, once you add on postage, but with the peace of mind that only you can damage it getting it home...

Just setting off shortly to make a start on getting the new engine out of the donor.

I`ll do some pics later. :thumbup:

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

nice dont look like much for 500 doit

5. StuMc

Certainly doesn`t...[:[] :lol:

When I got the box out of the car, my mate said `Is that it???`.

Anyhoo, here`s what today`s activities achieved...

The donor; a front ended `51 plate Mk4. Cat C write off...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AUM 1.8t (150bhp)

[​IMG]

Exhaust was a stubborn, rusty b*stard. Out with the loud tools! :lol:

[​IMG]

Nearly there...

[​IMG]

It`s out!...

[​IMG]

I blame this on sleep deprivation...[:$]

[​IMG]

According to qpeng, this beauty can be tickled to produce 230bhp...

[​IMG]

That just gives me the...

[​IMG]

The teardown of the Mk2 won`t begin for a couple of days yet, but I`ll be sure to document that too. :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. orangecruz Forum Member

you cheeky barstool loving the **** end pic :)

lets hopeqpeng dont take to long delivering the downie and kit hey stu:clap: FTW

7. MUSH Forum Member

getin a cat c donor is the way forward mate, i bought a leon cupra for mine and sold the rest off for a tidy little profit. bought a bigger turbo with the winnings. turns out i paid nothing for the engine, except effort and scraped knuckles... lol

AUM has the k03s turbo so will remap for a good 230/240ish bhp. its basically a detuned from the factory AUQ.

what management you running it on mate?

keep the updates, loving this.

8. StuMc

That would have been ideal, but the deal I got was for the engine/loom only.

I`ll be able to re-coup a few quid from selling the AC compressor, and my old engine/box. I`ll also make a bit selling the Polo on after it`s done.

I read the qpeng site wrong...230bhp, not 250...[:$]

My original plan was to run standard manangement, with the ECU immobiliser defeated, and mapped, but with the short time frame to do the job, and the fact I`m a lazy b*gger, and can`t be bothered stripping and converting the loom, I`ll be using qpeng`s `Plug and Play` kit.

All I have to do is send off my loom and throttle body, and I`ll receive it back in a couple of weeks converted, with an MBE ECU mapped and optimised to 230bhp.

Apparently it only takes about half an hour to install the loom, so that suits me fine!

It`s pricey though...1150. That includes a 2.5" conversion downpipe and VAT

The updates will follow shortly...;) :thumbup:

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice one!! The 3 week target sounds interesting.

10. orangecruz Forum Member

dont worry he has strong motivation if it aint done its getting kicked out from the work area ;)

11. StuMc

Whatever you say...[:[] [:D] :lol:

Yeah, three weeks should just about be enough. Spent this week collecting/sourcing all the parts. Only got a few bits to get, but there`s plenty of time to get them.

I`ll be starting stripping the 8v down today in readiness for removal in the next couple of days, then tonight Gaz (orangecruz) and I will sit down and write a detailed plan of action, splitting the job into several stages, with timescales/deadlines for each one, and dividing up who`ll do which jobs.

Might sound a bit anal/geeky, but with that in place it should go like clockwork.

The plan is for it to be ready for our monthly meet on the 21st...;)

12. orangecruz Forum Member

13. Admin Guest

nice job stu!

14. enc. Forum Member

nice one, ill be following this.

15. MUSH Forum Member

you going hydro clutch or using a cable mate?

3 weeks is an awesome time scale. I reckon mine would have only taken that but i work away a bit and as soon as i pulled it to bits i wanted to rebuild stuff and paint it and underseal it and blah blah blah.

...the list is ongoing:lol:

16. StuMc

I`ll be using a G60 box, but using a Seat cable-to-hydro clutch mechanism so I don`t have to mess around with pedal box mods.

Having sat down and worked it out, three weeks should be plenty. I work five on-five off, so I can break the back of it this week (five off), then do a few hours during the day when back at work (nights).

I know what you mean about wanting to paint/underseal everything, but with proper preparation it`s a dawdle.

For instance my `new` PAS rack is has already been painted, had new gaitors fitted and (as of tomorrow) new trackrod ends, so when it comes to fitting it`ll be a quick job.

The engine bay needs serious cleaning, and painting (just to be controversial, it`ll be staying red...;) ), but again good pre-planning has sorted that; It`ll be done by one of us, whilst the other prepares the 20v and mounts it in the subframe.

Just remember the seven Ps; Proper Prior Preperation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance...

A change of plan on the engine management side will save some time too. Ben Leach of qpeng (top bloke) is going on holiday next week, so couldn`t guarantee the loom would be ready in time (worst case, it would be after Christmas), so I`ve decided to go for his DIY kit instead. Should arrive by Monday, and is a good bit cheaper too.

Had a couple of hours tonight to start the strip down before it got too dark/cold, so cracked on...

Ready and willing.

[​IMG]

What`s under there then?...

[​IMG]

Essentials...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amazing how much you can strip down a Mk2 in two and half hours. Just the engine and box left in (picking up a engine crane tomorrow)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, yes. It was bloody freezing...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  17. orangecruz Forum Member

thats a lovley frosty mk3 stu:lol:

18. StuMc

Today`s update;

8v out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20v (almost) ready to go in.

[​IMG]

G60 `box and brakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gaz did a cracking job with the engine bay...[8D]

Red may be controversial, but the overall effect will become clear, when everything`s done...;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would have trial fitted the 20v tonight but just discovered I`ve been given the wrong cambelt kit...[><]

19. orangecruz Forum Member

paintwork looks good pal

20. MUSH Forum Member

yeah paintwork is good, again im a t wat cos i want mine perfect in a booth with bay fully stripped etc etc.

seen your mk2 at a vag croft trackday ages ago and loved it since (went in my old gold 16v). will be a proper tool with 20vt. keep it coming stu!!