Oil Coolers??

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ronnie35, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ronnie35 Forum Member

Recently ive been thinking if my car could do with an oil cooler. Its a 2litre ABF in a Ibiza and I used it for road rallying. Under normal conditions the engine regulates it temperature fine, no probs about 94 degrees or there abouts. But when its worked hard eng oil temp rises to about 108 degrees C. Which is a bit to high im thinking.

Just wondering whats peoples opinion of using them, and which type (amount of rows etc) would be best suited.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

Cheers

Reian

2. madmk4 Forum Member

235x13 with a thermostatic cooler plate will keep the temps between 90 and 100 even after some back to back lapping of the nurburgring :thumbup:

3. turbotommy Forum Member

The oil on my 16v cupra gets hotter than all the other 8v or 16v golfs i've had (read lots)
    Also the under bonnet temps seem a tad high too!!! it warm's up very quick but never over heats so mabe its normal,it just seems a "hot running" car to me.

4. Mikey C Forum Member

i have a 235x13 mocal with a thermostat on my abf in the mk1, from raldes

keeps it down to 60-70deg normal road driving, 80 on track and it heatsoaks upto 90 when stopped. The cooler is in a very good position next to the rad with some ducting. one day I might get round to cover it up for road driving as 60 is a little low...

it is very good for your engine to keep the oil cool, oil will deteriorate less quickly and the lower thermal cycles and differential temperatures help things to stay together and sealed

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

that isnt high or anything to worry about most engine oils will work fine upto 150 deg with out a problem, if it was above 120, then, i would say get a cooler

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

sounds a bit to cool to me

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

8. ronnie35 Forum Member

Seems to be conflicting opinions regarding ideal oil temps! As the car is used for road rallying where speed isnt all that high compared to track racing and (theres a lot of stop starting) im thinking i could do with one. Plus im not to comfartable with the oil temps rising close to 110degC. Thats when the heater gets put on flat out!

I guess if i ran a sandwich plate with a stat it should prevent the engine runing too cool. Cheers for the link GVK will go through it now :thumbup:

Cheers for all the input!

9. Mikey C Forum Member

i wouldn't be too worried about 110 degs, but a cooler can only help the engine.

I was backing off on a track day as the oil was going well over 120, once you get to 140 for any length of time damage will start to happen.

in my experience the placement of the cooler affect your temps massively, even with a stat my 13 row over cools in normal driving. The stat is definitely working as it sits at 80 deg when thrashed. This includes doing lap after lap at the ring. I don't think the usual debate between how many rows you need is as relevant as the placement.