Sending money via paypal with NO FEES, Its easy when you know how.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nige, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`ve been sending money to people for various goods / payments over many months and having spoken to several people, I realise that not many seem to know how to send money WITHOUT having to give Paypal money for the priveledge.

So, lets say for example you want to send joe.bloggs @ email.com 20 and you want him to receive the full 20.

On your account page, on the top, click the 2nd TAB (SEND MONEY)

Enter the recipients email address eg joe.bloggs @ email.com
    Enter the amount you with to send eg 20

This is the important bit
    CLICK the PERSONAL TAB, NOT the Purchase Tab (Default)

I usually tick `Other ` or `Gift`, but it doesn`t really matter.

Click CONTINUE

On the summary page, you`ll see:

Your Fee (?) 0.00 GBP
    Your total charge 20.00 GBP
    Your recipient will receive 20.00 GBP

You may want to add a quick description in the Subject and Message boxes so the recipient knows where the money is from and what it is for [:D]

Simply click SEND MONEY and the money will be sent without fees :thumbup:

Easy huh !

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

The only problem is that if there is dispute then no claim is to be had.
    If you want to avoid fees and you are sure that a dispute won`t happen then a bank transfer is just as good.

HTH

3. Nige

It is, but I find that people don`t usually like giving out their bank details (I know I won`t), but I`ll happily give them my email address....

4. Broke Forum Member

Doesn't it just apply the fees to your end, so the person getting the money gets the full amount? I thought that's how it worked. We don't have the same screen here in the US, we can't choose a gift payment that I can find.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Did this the other week, but it wasn`t free...

There were two choices; either me or the recipient had to pay the 3 fee...

Still cheaper though. :thumbup:

6. Nige

Definately not, I`ve sent money to friends and using the above method, NEITHER of us have to pay any fees. Perhaps its different in the US ?

7. dooosuk Forum Member

It's only free if the money is in your account or it's a debit card payment iirc. Paying by credit card still incurs a fee.

8. Broke Forum Member

That's what I thought.... it just changes which ends the fees are pulled from, but I can't try it, so I can't say for sure:lol:

It is absolutely different here, we don't even have the Tabs you spoke about, the Personal and whatever the other one was.... we have 4 choices for payment type... cash, goods, services, and something else. No Gift option.

The only time I have seen that was when GETTING payments from the UK, I would sometimes get payments that had no fees on my end. They were gift payments. I couldn't figure out how it was done, and eventually realized the UK and US paypal sites aren't the same at all.:p

If you've found a way to transfer funds back and forth without paying paypal for it, burn it up, because I suspect when they find out, they'll put a stop to it. They suck:lol:

9. Nige

Broke, I think thats why you are still having to pay fees, they must have remove the `personal` tab on the US paypal [:s] Bloody shame [:x]

10. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Nige ! give me a ring ! got the bits from GSF :thumbup:

PAYPAL accepted ! lol

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Its free to receive money full stop if the perosn sends you the money using bank funding now isnt it? Wasnt that implemented in 2008?

12. thegave Forum Member

PayPal gifts incur a fee over a certain amount I haven't ascertained exactly how much but it is probably anything over $50. But GBP not dollars. I don't have the stupid sign.

If I remember correctly for a transfer of $240 (GBP again) the fees were the same whether it was for Gift or Goods Purchased, so I went with Goods Purchased for the protection.

And then they decided against my claim.

FFS.

No, all my PayPal payments are bank funded and incur a charge if paying for eBay items/goods purchased/gifts over 50.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  13. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Doesnt seem to work anymore[:x]

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think Paypal might cut it off after a certain quantity of funds have passed through.

It was fine on my account recently, when sorting the CGTI window names stickers, unless others were picking up the tab, but the CGTI Curborough events Paypal has been snared.

15. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

It works when you dont use a credit card, if you use a debit card or bank funding it still works fine. At least it did yesterday when i paid Chris for some stickers. :)

16. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Precisely - I trusted a seller who wanted paypal sent as a "gift"...low and behold, it was a gift to him, as the item i purchased was never sent, and going by his feedback he skanked plenty of others too, some as much as 400. If you're buying on ebay, regardless of sellers feedback, beware.

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

We use it for the Club where poss. Fine between friends and known contacts, but after that, forget it.

18. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Nope, I used a debit card and tried all the options.
    It was only my 2nd time of sending this way so must be a small limit, unless it's under 100 or somthing.

19. thegave Forum Member

Like I said, it's a cap. Which is lower than $100. Probably $50.

The largest amount I've seen gifted is $25.

I mean pounds by the way. I have an American keyboard and no I don't want to change the layout. " belongs next to Enter!!!

20. Admin Guest

i'm getting that too, paying for stickers and another item that was 15, wanted me to pay a small fee.[8(]

when i ticked gift earlier, it wanted me to pay the fee, ticked the personal debt owed and no fee.[:D]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2009