crank and cam sensor on the 20vt -motec

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by dUff, Feb 3, 2009.

1. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi
    Anyone know what signals these produce ??

The problem i have is i am trying to get a motec to work on a BAM and i and getting a "SYNC ERROR" and it seems to be related to the crank sensor , the only values i am getting is 120% and then 117% , which does not seem correct but thats a guess

If i unplug the crank sensor the error does not occur , but it seems to indicate that cam postion and crank are not aligned ( which they are ) i think factory management does not care about the cam sensor and will run with a substitute value

Hence engine will not start and duty cycle is 0-1% .so no fuel to fire it up

Does the crank sensor have one pickup per revolution ? or more than that

Ta

2. fortran New Member

The crank is a Bosch type 60-2 theeth, the BAM engine needs to be converted to early single thooth CAM pattern, you can replace the CAM module from an AGU, AEB ect. engine.

3. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

You only need to run cam sensor if you plan on running sequential injection and or vvt. Crank alone would suffice. 60-2 wheel as said and 78 degrees BTDC is where my S60 DTA ecu reads first trailing edge of the first tooth after the missing two

4. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I have the VVT all connected up and its in the map from what i can see

Not sure if its sequential, i will see if i can figure that out in the map

I will see if i can test the crank sensor at 78 degress

It was a map done by dynalynx and a loom made by GWR motorsport and was working at some point in the past , but previous owner had crashed it and its never ran again from what i can make out ( i could be wrong but i don`t see how ) , and some parts have been changed , so i am just trying to get back to basics to get it working again

So if the cam sensor needs to be changed i guess that may have been done already for it to work

I will check the number on EKTA , also looks like the crank sensor has been changed as its new , could that be having a effect

If i disconnect the sensor i don`t get a SYNC ERROR , but it still won`t start obviously

5. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

sussed it , was a bad earth that caused the engine to not get the sync signals in the expected time , it no runs about 68% max with is within the manual 20-80% tolerance of sync and ref signals

So sorted , also found my bam does have the single cut out cam position sensor ,so was changed at some point
    Wants to fire now , ran out of changed batterys today but will try again tomorrow, sort of fire on 2 but then ended up on 7volts

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

thats good progress