15 inch sub

Discussion in 'ICE' started by neil kaye, Feb 20, 2009.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

do you know when you see an offer you cant refuse even tho you dont need to buy,,well i did today,went to the scrappy and there was a nice 15 inch sub (sony explode 1400w) in a custom box ,and just out of curiosity i asked him how much it was and he said twenty quid,,ended up buying the sub for the hell of it
    wired it up and O.M.F.G iv not heared bass like this before
    ever pushed a cotton bud down your ear too far and gipped?? thats what the speaker made me feel like,,i love it im just scared its gunna blow my rear window out

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

turn it up put on a proper setup cd and see if you can see the window bulging, a friend of mine put the rear window out of a Metro GTA with my old rockfords, mind you they were about 6 inches from the glass.

you cant beat a good rumbling b line IMO

3. neil kaye Forum Junkie

got so exited i didnt actally ask the question i wanted
    it says 1400w peak power,15hz to 2000hz (15hz omg thats low)
    rated power 400w:4 ohms impedence,<<<<are these the rating for the amp that needs to drive it correctly cause the one i ran it from was a 150w 2ohms with a xover at 45hz and that was awsome

4. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

These sony xplop things arent the best of drivers to be honest. What size box have you got it in? To get the most from subs they need to be in correctly sized boxes. Generally 4cuft upwards.

You need an amp that will put out about 500rms @ 4 ohms, which isnt much to be honest mate, so you shouldnt have too much trouble finding one.

Im running a 15 in my mk2. Its is 2kW rms, 4kW peak, in 5cuft tuned to 30hz.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

its deffo in the wrong box its not big enuf tbh for the size of the sub,when i get chance ill measure it all up and use the online calculator,it has no port neither so if it were sat in a propper ported,tuned box heaven knows what i will be like,im already thinking of taking it out cause the whole car shakes ,its too much

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i used to run a 15 inch vibe in a vibe bandpass box, it only just fitted in the mk2 boot, but boy did it pound, it cost me a fortune in dynamat too

an earlier version of this badboy

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. onnie Forum Member

usually 15" subs need at least 3.5 cuft for a ported box (inc. port displacement)

or 2 cuft sealed.

you can download WinISD for free, you can design bass box's with that if you want :)

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

just measured this one,inside dimentions are 22.5'x14.5'x12.25'x11.5',using the online calculator(and putting 0 as te thicknes of wood as i measured the inside dimentions)works out around 2.24 cuft and its a sealed box
    regardlees it has to go its just too darn loud

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you could always turn the gain down just a touch!

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i used to have systems like this... theyre a lot of fine. now im just too damn lazy. ive got the sub etc, i just need a few hundred RMS into 4ohm and ill have a lovely setup (then i wanna put some new comps in)

11. lufbramatt Forum Member

hehe 15" subs are great fun if setup properly. me and a mate builts these :

[​IMG]

(theyre at his house not mine!)

the bass sections have a Eminence Magnum 15LF 15" bass driver, each with its own 400watt RMS active amp on the back. The drivers he used are normally found in subs in nightclubs or the massive stadium PA systems you get at rock concerts- theyre the real deal and the magnets are the size of dinner plates. The cones hardly move at all but the bass is EPIC. Theyre in sealed 170 litre enclosures so theyre really punchy and have been EQ'ed on the amps so they dont need a port at all to go rediculously low.

He's had complaints from his neighbours, even tho he lives in a detached house in the countryside :lol:

12. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

thats just crazy!! would be good in the back of a caddy tho!!

13. onnie Forum Member

drunkenalan has a good point, you dont have to play it at full blast all the time, if its too much turn the amp gain right down, so it blends in with the fronts more. or maybe secretly you like it blasting? ;)

dont worry about the back window, there are pro spl guys running 5 times the power and speakers than you and their windows are fine ;)

14. neil kaye Forum Junkie

:lol: no i dont like it blasting ,i do like it loud but quality and as you say for it to blend in.i tried turning the gain down,didnt make much difference till nearly half way then it went realy quiet,im going to stick with the origional plan.dirtydubber designed me a nice tuned box to go with a 12 inch sub,it seems to me the 10inch and 12 inch subs sound much tighter and more punchier(if thats a word)

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

15's normally lack punch but make up for it when it comes to the rumbly stuff, it depends on the music you listen too and the box design. my vibe was good alround due to the box, the same type of sub in a friends car in a different box just wasnt comparable. we ended up doing a swap, and i added two 10's to make an awesome system!

12's are good alrounders TBH, these days i run a single 12

my days of shaking the rust from my car are over, quality over quantity for me