Curved Carb/ITB trumpets

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by beaniegti, Mar 11, 2009.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

I have some dth jenveys on my 16v with a heat isolator, spacer and long trumpets (120mm?) trouble is one of the trumpets is rubbing on the bonnet frame. I can get socks on but thats it.

I don't really want shorter trumpets as i'd like to leave everything as is until its installed and running but would really like a bit more clearance.

One option is to machine down the engine mounts but as the car is quite low i don't really want to do this. The other option is to use some trumpets like the ones below.

[​IMG]

What are peoples thoughts on these? How much realistically is it likely to affect things and if its a go-er where can you get them.

cheers

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

you cannot get them for 45mm bores - I have looked for years - either you would have to make some or get some made in carbon or similar which would not be cheap

easiest would be to get a shorter trumpet - I have done this and on my engine, it made little difference to power and fuelling but you would have to check that for your motor

that photo is interesting though - any more details?

3. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

these dcoe trumpets are available for the 8v.

Id also go for a tapered lateral fed airbox

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

bah, shame they're not easily available.

'fraid i know nothing more about that car/trumpets as it was an image i got from vortex i think.

Quite fancy an airbox-especially something like the seat f2 ones but its all subject to clearance and time.

5. prof Forum Addict

sketch em up in Pr0E and we could make some here. Trouble is everyone probably wants something different

6. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Could you not run a short length of curved Samco hose with the trumpet at the end to give a similar thing?

7. prof Forum Addict

it's pretty easy to carve up a shape out of styrofoam/necupur, sand it to a good finish then, copy cast it with casting plaster, then build the required parts from GRP using a high temp epoxy and the gelcoat on the inside of the trumpets.

hang on I'll draw what I'm on about

[​IMG]

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Those trumpets in pic look like they are from bmw m3 csl airbox

9. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Luke, i imagine its possible but there would be steps in the inlet tract so not ideal from what i can gather.

thats not a bad idea prof :thumbup: need to think about that one

Sambo, interesting, would that mean the regular M3's have something similar?

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Yes regular m3-s do indeed have something simmilar

When my car (mk2 itb-ed valver in past) was beign mapped with mv agusta bike bodies we played with inlet tract length, was adding temporarily m3 trumpets sloting them into my existing trumpets and increasing length by about 200mm

Peak gain was around 20 bhp!

Here is pics of m3 csl air box inside, i have one of these and really should get rid as i may end up buying a car to go with it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Midrange gain was very good to, hence why i ended up using these

[​IMG]

R/r plot at awesome with these trumpets 143 lb/ft torque at the wheels on standard engine with slightly ported head and 288 deg cams

Since this power run cam timing was set properly and engine gained around 15 bhp on other rollers mind, from 4.5k revs upwards and that flat torque curve remained, was real pleasure to drive

[​IMG]

11. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

thanks for posting that- they do look v. v. similar-i wonder what the odds of finding a set in the scrappy are :lol: Still, they must turn up from time to time.....

That some inlet length you've got there, will have to try and fiddle about with that once its all in and running-probably a job for next year though.

12. POL

pol Forum Member

hmm, how much do those white plastic ones got for? something like those could be just what i need for my 8v.

13. thegave Forum Member

Where!?

14. slim363

slim363 New Member

15. thegave Forum Member

You talking to me? Ya that would be awesome if you had one kicking about how much would you think you'd want for it?

But would it be big enough to accomdate longer trumpets on dcoe's on a counterflow head?

Where can I get the curved trumpets FTP
    ?

16. thegave Forum Member

Still want to know.... Anyone?

17. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

good luck finding those trumpets. I bought them years ago in the early ebay.de days. Ive never seen another set- thats why ive kept them for a potential future project

try dbilas or holn? i think for the airboxes, but be prepared to look for months or longer