NOX Sensor failure

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by rdv123, Mar 22, 2009.

1. rdv123 Forum Member

04 plate 1.6 fsi. Yellow light on dash diagnosed as nox sensor failure. Car has only done 31,000 and the quote to replace is 400. This appears to be not unusual. The sensor comes with the control unit and is available on the internet for 299 inc vat a small saving on VWs price. I dont expect this sort of expense on a 31,000 mile car.
    Update,
    with the help of an unusually efficient service receptionist VW agreed to foot 40% of the bill

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. kingyvw New Member

On the early mk5 fsi's they had issues with the actual nox control unit, which contains the sensor. When fitting a newer one you have to upgrade the ecu software otherwise the nox sensor will soil and then another one will be required. Vw say they fail because water/moisture in the exhaust gives false/negative readings! No the sensor is not capable of doing its job!
    If monitoring nox is so important, why are they not on new production cars! Tried tested and failed! LOL

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

whats the upgrade?? as my mate has a B6 audi with a 2.0l fsi and thats thrown up a NOX fault when scanned with vag com and the idles really bad and wobbly... but oddly no light on the dash! I dont want to change the senor for him just for it to go again

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

it's likey to be a software update / a factory remap which doesn't always mean to fix a issue thats there within the maps, but 'to help monitor the systems'

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

So they charge you for a new one, then `upgrade` the software (ie, they`delete` it)??...or am I being over-cynical... :lol:

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

VAG only advise to do the software updates, not because its a newer version but to help with better recognition of faults
    or in the early 9N polo dumb down the miss fire recognition & Lambda monitor

there on instances when they do compulsory update, tied into a recall