Weber 32/34 accelerator pump

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by muppet9966, Mar 24, 2009.

1. muppet9966 Forum Member

Hey guys,
    I've been having some problems with my carb, I've re-build the carb replacing the float pin, accelerator pump diaphram and accelerator pump nozzle, and afew other bits.

However when I pump the accelerator pump lever, I dont get a squit of petrol from the accelerator pump nozzle.

Does anyone know how the diaphram fills up with petrol in order for it to be pumped to the accerator pump nozzle?

Thanks in advance.

2. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Did you remove the pump jet when you rebuilt the carb? You should remove it and shake it to hear the internals rattling - if its quiet the jet is goosed. The manual I emailed you explains the workings of the pump diaphragm.

3. muppet9966 Forum Member

Cheers maxmo,
    My pump nozzle was buggered, it wasnt rattling.
    I replaced it and it runs alot better.
    However it still has a slight lag.

I've looked at the manual (thanks), and it seems the diaphram fills up with fuel from the float chamber via a non-return valve (which I believe is blocked).

4. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Did you put the springs to the diaphragm back in the correct order? Its easy to loose track of them during a rebuild.
    I expect the location of the inlet valve ball will be sealed (but couldn't confirm without taking a carb apart and looking).

5. muppet9966 Forum Member

Thanks for your response maxmo,

Yeah I put everthing back in the correct order, I was very careful to ensure I didnt bugger it up.
    I placed abit of carb cleaner in behind the diaphram then screwed the diaphram together.
    Pumping the diaphram squirted the carb cleaner through the pump nozzle, however fuel doesnt get to the diaphram.
    You are correct, the location of the inlet vavle ball is sealed.

Looks like I'm buggered!!!! [:x] [:x] [:x]

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Have you checked that the diaphragm is ok since the pump stopped working?
    Putting carb cleaner on it doesn't sound like the best idea as it is made of rubber. I wear latex gloves when I'm working on my car carb cleaner eats through them quite quickly.
    Might be worth swapping back to your old diphragm if its split of feels floppy.

7. muppet9966 Forum Member

Hi guys, well I finally fixed it!!!

As previously said, the inlet valve ball for the accelerator circuit is sealed, however mine was also blocked.
    With abit of penatrating oil and limescale remover and loads of soaking, I finally managed to clear the valve and get the ball moving.

[​IMG]

The top hole is where the ball valve moves under vaccum, when the accelerator is pumped, the ball is forced down, blocking fuel from the float chamber. The fuel in the accelerator diaphram is forced out the pump nozzle where another ball valve is located which prevents air being sucked back to the diaphram.
    The bottom hole is the inlet valve where fuel is supplied via the float chamber. This is hole that was blocked, you cant see it properly, but the actual hole as smalle than a pin head.

My car now does not have any flat spots, so under harsh accelerating there is no lag - woohoo.
    Thanks for all your help guys.